One small step for mechanic...

Oh...and I had to show you guys these. This is what the bolts & bushing on the suspension looked like when we pulled things apart! Yikes! I know the odometer is probably not correct, but it only reads a little of 6k miles...makes ya wonder what the roads were like back then if that is even remotely correct!

post-77540-143138992714_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138992743_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138992774_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138992806_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930
A green frame?

Frames were painted on the Victory six evidently predominantly the sport models but midyear of production some standard cars also carried this.

Obviously not everything on the chassis was hosed down as this car shows because they would have been placed on after the fact of chassis being painted but there is a possibility that the chassis and some pieces attached to the chasis were painted originally green

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Frames were painted on the Victory six evidently predominantly the sport models but midyear of production some standard cars also carried this.

Obviously not everything on the chassis was hosed down as this car shows because they would have been placed on after the fact of chassis being painted but there is a possibility that the chassis and some pieces attached to the chasis were painted originally green

Oh...and I personally know the granddaughter of the original owner & her mother is still alive & they all say this car has never been changed. So, I do believe I have a right to "hose down" this car green, as you put it, because that is what the car is telling me. Sorry if you don't like it.

Guest 1930
Oh...and I personally know the granddaughter of the original owner & her mother is still alive & they all say this car has never been changed. So, I do believe I have a right to "hose down" this car green, as you put it, because that is what the car is telling me. Sorry if you don't like it.

Never said I didn't like it, and hosing on the paint is not a derogatory term, lighten up and try not to be so defensive

If you were clear on the order of paint/assy than it would be clear to you that if EVERYTHING was painted green as you say you found it than you would come to the conclusion that someone at one time in its life prob. decided to do a re-paint.

Not nocking what you did, never said either way because quite frankly at the time I had not yet decided what I thought of it, didnt bother to expand the pictures yet and it was not on my mind to comment either way until I did a little digging on just what I was supposed to be looking at, I was merely responding to D-2 inquiry. Have a nice day :)

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

It's been a bit of time since your original posts and had been wondering what kind of progress was being made. From the looks of things you've made quite a bit of progress and it looks great in my opinion. Thanks for the update and hope to see and hear more from you. Scott...

BTW, recalling back to your original posts I would think that your car was in enough of an original state to identify how things were done when it left the factory. That would sure be my roadmap on this venture.

Great progress! I know a lot of work has gone into the job you've done so far. I like that shade of green that Dodge and you used on chassis, and those shackle parts ARE well worn! I think many old cars' spring shackles get like that from lack of grease getting all the way through the bushings, plus the fact of high friction, stress and age. Thank goodness we can still get new ones. Keep us posted on your work!, Best, Pete.

Hi Shannon,

Absolutely fantastic !!! I had the same feeling when I actually started putting things back on the chassis rather than taking them off.

In 3 weeks mine will start to be painted and I can't wait to finally get the body back on the chassis. When the body sat on the chassis for the first time we found the panels wouldn't align up. After a long process of checking we found the chassis was actually bent like a banana. It was 20mm out from end to end. It had to go to another shop where it was put in a hydraulic ram and bent back to where is should be. I never thought of checking to see if the frame was straight. The guy said it was one of the toughest frames he's ever had to bend....says a lot for the 1930's.

Keep up the great work and post more photos when you can !!

Ian

Hi Shannon!

Excellent research! Love that you are keeping meticulous records as you go - photos and all. Working with a known all original car is special!

I did not know that about the earlier cars having the colored frames. That's why I brought it up. Excellent! Thanks for the photos! A person can really learn something new every day! :)

Keep up the progress and post photos! :D

Thanks Pete & Ian! Appreciate the encouragement!

Pete, the first pic is before we took the springs off the car, looking at the car from the rear. Second shows had badly worn out the bushings were in the springs. Gives you an idea of how bad things were! We had to have the shackles fixed by a local machinist they were so bad. He did a fantastic job.

I am beginning to love the color too. I haven't seen photos of too many cars done in this color. My husband still isn't a fan too much, but he's starting to come around. It's just really cool to see things coming together on this car. It finally feels like we are accomplishing things! It just might be ready for my daughter's graduation photos next year! hehehe

Shannon

post-77540-143138995035_thumb.jpg

post-77540-143138995079_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the re-machined spring eye. Some metal from the spring had to be removed for the new brass bushing to be pressed in so it would be straight.

I was wondering, does the removal of that spring eye metal weaken the spring leaf at the eye to ever be a problem? What kind of comments did your machinist make about that if at all? I always wondered if the wear that your springs showed would require a new main leaf. This repair looks quite ample though!

Do you know if the spring eye bush needed to be reduced very much? I doubt it will make any difference to you but a smaller bearing surface will probably wear more quickly.

I have seen many worn out shackle bolts and bushes - it need not take that high a mileage if neglected.

Generally, the odometer on some cars started again at 10,000 miles and on later cars at 100,000 miles - I don't know which yours is but I don't believe they can be relied upon to give you a true mileage. If the engine is original, you will get some idea from that if you know what to look for.

I really like the way things are coming together - are you going to do the body painting yourself? I do my own and get a lot of satisfaction from it. If you do your own paint, may I suggest having a chat with Jason Anderson (1930) beforehand; he is a professional painter. Looking forward to further progress reports!

Ray

Wow I've never seen tilted shackles like that before. I think it's the other way around Ray, the machinist had to remove some material from the spring eye to make it round again. So the bushing has a larger OD surface area. I wouldn't expect enlarging the spring eye by 50 thousandths or so would significantly reduce the eye strength. I'd keep an 'eye' on it though, once you start driving it.

Wow I've never seen tilted shackles like that before. I think it's the other way around Ray, the machinist had to remove some material from the spring eye to make it round again. So the bushing has a larger OD surface area. I wouldn't expect enlarging the spring eye by 50 thousandths or so would significantly reduce the eye strength. I'd keep an 'eye' on it though, once you start driving it.
Yea. That was my question (put another - better - way)! :rolleyes:

Re-reading Shannon's #18 post I see I made a big blunder! How embarrassing! :o That is the BEFORE photo. Geez! (Head smack!) Anyway, I guess my question would still be valid. IF the wear got past the bushing and the spring eye had to be bored straight, would that steel removed from the spring eye cause a weakening of the spring eye? (Enough to cause concern anyway?) Hopefully that is not the issue you had. It seems from the photo that the bushing retained all the damage and it didn't get into the spring?

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Actually, this is the picture I meant to post. Fortunately the springs themselves didn't need any work. The machinist was able to add material and then round out the holes on the shackles for us. Again, he did a wonderful job! We didn't have to change bushing sizes at all. It's so far worked out really well considering the amount of wear on things.

Ray, we have someone in town doing the body painting for us. He comes highly recommended and has done other antique vehicles. We're just waiting for word from him when he's ready for the body. He has a classic car (can't remember what it is) that he is working on for a guy in California. Once he's done with that, then our stuff is next.

1936 D2....you know, my husband and I were wondering what your post was about...kinda had both of us scratching our heads! But you do ask a good question in the end anyways! Something we hadn't thought of either!

Glad you guys are enjoying the photos. As we move further along, you know I'll post some more!

Shannon

post-77540-14313899589_thumb.jpg

Hi Shannon, What can I say? Everone else has made the same congratlions and praises that I had intended to do. You both should be very proud of your achievements so far The rear spring hangers and bolts were so badly worn on my 2249 Senior 6 that I had to have new main leaves made for both springs. Pins and bushes were obtained localy AM parts made by Dufor an Australian Co that made many chassis and engine parts Hope to see your car in Detroit in 2014. Cheers Ron

• 11 months later...
Guest BretK

Shannon,

just found this thread! Awesome work! That is what I call a well used suspension, really makes me understand that oilfield doge video better;)