Power steering pump removal qeustion

Trey

I am trying to remove the power steering pump; however, I cannot seem to remove the hose that comes in under the reserviour (not the one with the clamp). Does anyone have any experience with this issue and can offer advice?

Update - I decided to pull the pully off of the pump first in order to give me more room to see what I was doing. I got the special pully pulling tool from Autozone (they have a free loaner tool program with a $40 deposit) - I found that I needed a 5/8" socket with a breaker bar for leverage and a 13/16" wrench held sturdy under the black metal triangle near the windsheild (the removal of the pully was done with the pump still installed by the two bolts to provide stability). Note that I could just barely fit the 5/8" socket / breaker bar onto the end of the special tool; however, I found that if I slide it on at just the right angle it would fit.

Update - now that I can see what I am doing after pulling off the pully, it looks like the tolerance was off at the factory of the high pressure hose manufacturer. Both my 5/8" wrench and 16 mm wrench have too much play to avoid stripping the high pressure hose fitting. What I did was I took about 10" of scotch tape and wrapped it around one of the sides of the head of the 16 mm wrench to shim it out a little. I did the same to the 5/8" wrench. After I soaked the connection on the reserviour with WD-40, I put both of the wrenchs simultaneously on the high pressure hose fitting and they did fit tight with very little play. I pushed with all my might for about 5 seconds until the fitting finally came free. Happiest moment of my life!

Question - my replacement Cardone power steering pump came with an o-ring with instructions that I must replace the o-ring with the new one or the pump will leak. Does onyone know where this o-ring is loacate? I cannot find the old one.

Question - my replacement Cardone power steering pump came with an o-ring with instructions that I must replace the o-ring with the new one or the pump will leak. Does onyone know where this o-ring is loacate? I cannot find the old one.
The new o-ring should be located in the box the new pump came in.

Lesson learned - when putting the new pump on, remember to slide it onto the low pressure return line (the one with the clamp) because that line is not flexible. If you don't slide it on before putting the two bolts on, you will just have to remove the bolts and start over. That is what I did.

Upon furthur review, it looks like there is an old o-ring on the end of my high pressure return line. I was just so smashed flat that it did not even look like an o-ring. I will replace that with the new one supplied in the box of the new pump.

Guest BobbyBubba

Wow. I know just how you feel. I just spent 2 days on my back- bench pressing 150 lbs- to change a 10 (?) year old garbage fuel filter on my '89 Red Reatta. Soaked both fittings with PB Blaster for 2 days before trying. Had to disconnect both lines from rail, seperate, then wiggle line down- to get at top connection. HORRIBLE place to put a "regular maintenance" part! I'm beginning to think- the designers of these cars were either drunk, evil, or had ZERO forethought- on how to service things. It's like nobody cared. Spent $108 on mostly HAND DRAWN "use DEALER ONLY tool *****" whatever gobbly-gook year-specific "Service Manual" to this car- I'd give my left for a decient Haynes manual. RONNIE SHOULDA BEEN A SUPERVISOR AT THE CRAFT CENTER DAMMIT!! Things would be better. Sorry for the rant- I'm high on paint fumes.

Update - adding power steering fluid was tricky - the problem was that after I changed my power steering pump the process of adding the new power steering fluid is kind of complicated. What I did was I added fluid, turned on the engine turned the steering wheel left and right with the cap off the reserviour and ran it for 15 seconds then turned off the engine and then checked the level and then added some more fluid. Once I did this for the fifth time, the groaning noise went away when I turned the steering wheel left and right.

Guest Corvanti
Update - adding power steering fluid was tricky - the problem was that after I changed my power steering pump the process of adding the new power steering fluid is kind of complicated. What I did was I added fluid, turned on the engine turned the steering wheel left and right with the cap off the reserviour and ran it for 15 seconds then turned off the engine and then checked the level and then added some more fluid. Once I did this for the fifth time, the groaning noise went away when I turned the steering wheel left and right.

that's fairly common, trey. getting the air out of the hydraulic system. :)

late to the "o-ring" party. glad you got that right. when i changed my fuel filter, one was totally powder, one was 2/3rd's gone... :eek: