64 Riviera Transmission

Guest 64SFrivi

Guest 64SFrivi

Hello folks,

Sorry for same treads, still getting familiar with the forum.

I had a question I am trying to rebuild my 64 Buick Riviera's transmission. Looking for an master overhaul kit, but when I do most sites sell a TH-400 kit, even though 64 Rivi's came with a ST-400. Do they just categorize the transmissions differently ?

Or what is the difference between a TH-400 vs ST-400 or is there any? I just don't want to buy a kit and find out their are a slight differences. Most places had really bad return policies. If anyone can help would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

I have a Buick Master Parts Book, 1940 to 1971 Inclusive, and the book calls it the transmission a Turbo Hydra-Matic 400. My understanding is that Buick called it "Switch Pitch" and the other GM divisions called it a "Turbo Hydramatic."

That being said, the part number for the Master Overhaul Kit for a 64 is Group 4.005 8625966 and for 65-71 it is 4.005 8625967.

Another Buick Master parts Book, 1958 - 1968 lists the 64 overhaul kit as 4.005 8623997 and the 65-68 at 4.005 8625904, superseding 8624963.

Even though the part numbers don't match, at least this tells us that there must be an internal difference between the 64 and the later transmissions.

Guest 64SFrivi

Thank you!

This is where I ran into this question:

On Fatsco Transmission website: Fatsco Transmission Parts Antique Kits they list the part as: TH 400 1964 127-LX

Classic Buicks: Buick transmission overhaul kit Super-Turbine 400 ST-400 Transmission parts for classic Buick, Buick Parts, classic Buick transmissions, vintage Buick's antique buicks, kits Classic Buick parts, high quality and exceptional value!

has `64 Wildcat-Electra Riviera Master Overhaul Kit with gaskets, seals, sealing rings & friction clutches Super-Turbine 400 ST-400

Its almost a $70 difference buying from Classic Buicks vs Fatsco. Don't know which one to go with? I think ill email fatsco with the part numbers you gave me and see what they say.

thank you again!

FATSCO is a company that specializes in automatic transmission items, as the one who puts the kits together, themselves. They should have much more intimate knowledge of the trans and what's in their kits.

Classic Buicks, with all due respect, probably re-sells what others put together rather than specify what's in the kits. In some cases, they might specify a different brand of friction plate or band than what might normally be in the kits, IF they purchase enough kits at one time OR pay for that change. If they bought enough, they could probably sell the kits with their "Classic Buicks" name on it!

You might also check the ATP website, plus possibly Borg-Warner or B&M. B-W is an OEM for the friction plates and B&M is a long-time high-performance automatic transmission parts vendor.

I know that you're desiring a "one stop" rebuild kit, but it might take several smaller kits to get there. As the kit with the friction plates and "steels" in it. A "gasket and seal kit". A "filter/strainer kit". Plus the individual bands. A "bushing and thrust washer" kit. This can allow the vendor to better customize the ultimate "kit" to better fit (with no "wasted parts") your particular transmission.

DON'T forget to get the torque converter "flushed" on an appropriate machine. PLUS also flush the transmission cooler and lines!

The fact that FATSCO is a basic source for transmission rebuild items can explain their more reasonable price. The fact that Classic Buicks probably re-sells what transmission parts suppliers sell can explain their higher price for similar items.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Guest 64SFrivi

Thanks again, all this info definitely going to help me. Thanks for the website recommendation as well.