Sign in to follow this  
sodomojo

'36 Dodge D-2 Looking for 2 shock struts

I am looking for 2 rear shock struts for my '36 D-2. I have the rubber bushings for them but need to replace a bent and broken strut. I may be able to have them made at a machine shop but would rather have the real ones. Thanks for any suggestions. Sodomojo

post-80168-143138989323_thumb.jpg

"Struts" meaning the rods that connect the lever arm to the axles? At least they are rods on the '33 Plymouth though I've seen other arrangements on other year makes and models.

To get myself on the road I used some all-thread. Later I just took some rod stock from the hardware store and threaded each end. The original on mine had a raised seat for the bushing washer to rest against. I just threaded the rod long enough and ran a nut down to that location. Once installed the only visible difference from the original is the hex nut versus the original round seat. Most people, including most judges, won't notice the difference.

I think '37 was the first year for "airplane style" shocks. If I'm wrong and '36 is and you are talking about the shock mounting stud, then please ignore this post. :)

Yes, PLy 33

that is the part I was talking about. The rod that connects the spring to the lever action shock.

thank you for your help.

I have some off of a 33 that you can have if they work. Measure the length of yours and let me know maybe these will work.

Scott @ my33mopars@hotmail.com

Hi Scott,

Mind getting some measurements of your '33 shock lengths? Mine were rusted and worn through so I guessed at how long they needed to be when I made up replacements. I'd like to know how close I guessed.

Thanks!

I made a set by taking two grade 8 hex bolts ,the length of the threaded ends,and drilled a hole down through each head. Then I took a long grade 8 bolt and cut the shank to the correct length so that when the ends of the long shaft were inserted into the holes in the bolts it gave the proper length to the completed rod. Then I welded the parts together and ground the hex part of the heads into the shape of the retainer bells. I purchased a strut package from an auto parts dealer that gave me the new retainer washers and bushings. Just like original! Watch though, the shock rods will seem short until you set the body on!

Indicated location of "'36 Dodge Rear Shock Link Rods" (#646444).

Each has 4 grommets, 4 grommet retainers and 2 nuts. ;)

post-67404-143138989696_thumb.jpg

Went to look up what the shock links were for a '36 Plymouth to see if they were the same as the number listed by 1936 D2 for Dodge. Turns out they are different. But that got me looking through the parts books and wondering.

Up through '34 the shock links are not listed in group 17 (springs) but in the "United Motors Service" section of the parts book and have Delco-Lovejoy part numbers. So the question, did Chrysler continue using Delco-Lovejoy shocks after the '35 transition from Delco to AutoLite for the electrical parts? The photo posted by 1936 D2 show shocks that sure look similar to the older Delco-Lovejoy units.

Ok on a 33, the front shaft lenght is 9" overall and 5-1/4" inbetween the washers that the inner rubber gromets fit. On the rear they are 10-1/2" overall and 6-3/4" inbetween the washers. Each of these are 3/8" diameter and are threaded about 3/4" fine threads at each end.

Hope this helps,

Happy Moparing

Scott

Ok on a 33, the front shaft length is 9" overall and 5-1/4" in between the washers that the inner rubber grommets fit. On the rear they are 10-1/2" overall and 6-3/4" in between the washers. Each of these are 3/8" diameter and are threaded about 3/4" fine threads at each end.

Hope this helps,

Happy Moparing

Scott

Thanks!

Shock rods '36 D-2

It looks like my rear shock rod is about 9 1/2" long with the ends about 2"up to the outside edge of the collar / washer and about 5"-5 1/8' between the collar /washers. A little hard to tell that as the break was just on the inside of the collar / washer. My other rear shock rod has been bent.

thx sodomojo

post-80168-143138992538_thumb.jpg

I believe the diameter is 3/8 in. with fine threads. These are pretty simple to make!

thank you 36 humpback. Five points is looking to see if they have any but I have not heard back yet. I know that I can make them and or have some one fabricate them but I was hoping to get some of the real stuff.

thanks to everyone that responded.

Sodomojo

Dear 1936 D2. Nice picture of your car,...you have not the rubber boot in the drive shaft.... Regards. Fernando
Hi Fernando., That is correct. The car in the photo (not my car) has the leather boots for the universal joint. The leather style is correct for the 1936 Dodge. The rubber accordion boot style you had the link for is a later design of boot for the Dodge u-joint. '36's were still using the leather as shown in the photo in post #8.