Need overdrive help

Guest traditionalrod

Guest traditionalrod

First time working on a packard here. I pulling the overdrive unit from a 1940 120. The unit is loose and will rotate but will not pull back from transmission. From what I have read you need to push the lock out rod forward to lock out the overdrive to remove the unit. The lock out rod will not move anymore (reason for removing overdrive unit). Anyone have an idea how to remove the unit.

thanks in advance.

Edited by traditionalrod (see edit history)

Guest John_Lawrence

If I understand your posting, you are trying to remove the overdrive unit from the transmission in the car. It may be better to remove the transmission-overdrive units together. They are heavy and the job may require two people to get them down, or a special transmission jack.

(o[]o)

There is a pin or bolt that must be removed from the case so that the shaft that the cable lever is attached to will disengage from the lockout shaft. Do a search on 'Borg Warner Overdrive' and you should get a repair manual with exploded view drawings. I know the manual is also on the Packardinfo site.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Foggy norm

The tranny and Od must be removed intact. The OD is atached to the tranny in part with a lock ring (inside) the tranny. If you can detach the OD on the car...I wanna come and watch....

Guest Foggy norm

The common Motor Repair Manual (blue cover)has good instructions and pix, your OD should be a "R-9".