cam selection for 425 nailhead

i have a 425 nailhead with a 750cfm edelbrock<BR>carb 2 1/4 inch exaust ,i'm in the middle of changing trans to a switch pitch trans(i had a 64 trans)which should take of any stall conv. i might need. my ? is the cam choice from kenne bell /the numbers go like this int..488/ex.494 lift //dur.284deg int. 294deg ex on a 114 lobe center.adv. operating range is from 2,000/6,000.if any one has an input please let me know or even a better cam choice the car is a weekend warrior very heavy 4,500 pounds /and will i need headers/ if so what size i want 400/425 hp honest power thanks

I don't know of any better cam grinds available for the Nailhead than what Jim Bell sells. Most of the others out there are copys with enough changes in specs so they can say that their cams are "superior". Not so! The C114A grind is probably the best all around performance choice for the serious racer. You didn't say what car it's going in but, 4500 lbs. is pretty heafty without some lower gears. Also I would re-think that 750 size carb. Kinda small for the rest of the combination. Also, you might have a problem finding headers (not a Skylark I assume). Rembember...It's not the individual parts that make a winner. It's all the CORRECT parts working together as a complete package. <p>[This message has been edited by nailvalve (edited 10-24-2000).]

the car above is a buick wildcat which weighed in at 4680 with driver half tank of gas /any opinion on how some one might think the car will perform would helpfull /i'm also going to install a 3,000 rpm convertor /keep in mind it is a weekend warrior so big cam and stall is not gonna bother me i'm just looking for all out power thanks for any infor anyone can supply oh it a 64 conv. wildcat

I have heard ST400s and TH400s go well with the 401/425 nailheads. Although some conversion to the driveshaft may be necessary, I've heard the best combo is the TH400 with the converter from the ST300. I've never personally done this, but heard the combo is really good on the 425 nail-heads. I'm putting a 425 in my 65 Skylark GS with the original ST300 trans. Should be done in about a week. Good Luck.<P>Dave

I only wonder how the starter will mount on the bell housing is there a kit or something? I just pulled my 425nailhead out today and the factory 2 speed iwould like to change over to one of the 400's you meantioned but the starter is part attached to the tranny bell housing? Any ideas or am i missing something?