USA car shows August-September 2012

Guest rbjt

Guest rbjt

Hello,

My girlfriend and I will be in the USA for 2-3 weeks from late August this year. We have recently started to restore a 1927 Pontiac Tourer in Australia but are new to vintage cars and shows. We were hoping to get along to at least one show during our visit and are keen to see some great 1920s cars including as many Pontiacs as we can!

We'll be travelling between Illinois and New Hampshire. I've been doing some research but would appreciate any advice you may have on the best shows in this area during this time?

Cheers,

Ryan

hi ryan, please check out the website for the early times chapter of the pontiac oakland club int'l for information about the flathead reunion being held in dillsboro, north carolina sept 6,7,8/2012. i know it's not as north as illinois and new hamphire. but you might want to come down south to show your car, and see all the other 1926 to 1954 pontiacs and oaklands that will be there. "nothing would be finer, than to be in carolina". charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest rbjt

Thanks Charles. I'll check out the website. We won't have a car to show although it's currently in pieces nearly suitcase sized here in Australia!

Does anyone know of any shows (even if they're not Pontiac specific) further North around the end of August or early September?

Guest mikestaley

yesterday i just drove 6 hrs to see the pontiac museum myself.... glad i did!.... they have the most complete library you will ever run across, and the owner is real friendly and lets you go through any of the books you want to look at, as well as he finds extra books, magazines, and literature for you to view too..... right next door there is also a war museum that has all kinds of 1940 clothing and etc of interest too.... several other museums there too.... very nice! well worth the drive!

The Auburn Cord Duesenburg festival is Aug 31-Sept 2 in Auburn IN--northern Indiana near Fort Wayne. The museum is one of the best, especially for cars of the 1920s & 1930s, click here for their website Home . There is another good museum next door, and the festival will include cars, a parade, at least one auction and more--that would be a great stop for you.

At nearby South Bend IN is the Studebaker Museum. You can detour north to the Gilmore Museum in Kalamazoo MI, another one of the best. South to Indianapolis is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum, and there are others. Have a great trip, Todd C

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are a plus to see. They are in Southfield, Michigan west of Detroit. The annual Old Car Festival is at the Greenfield Village either in September or maybe October. It's my all time favorite in that area. North of that in Auburn Hills, Michigan is the Chrysler Corporation Museum just off of I-75......fabulous displays and cars.

Keiser is right, if you like museums and are in northern Indiana anyway try to get to the Henry Ford and Walter P Chrysler museums. The Henry Ford Museum is probably the best in America and they just remodeled. They have the Kennedy limo and other presidential cars, Jim Clark's Lotus from Indy 1965 and MANY more, see photos.

post-31304-14313899772_thumb.jpg

post-31304-143138997735_thumb.jpg

Guest rbjt

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. We'll definitely get along to as many of these that we can! Are there going to be any car shows in this area during this time that you can recommend? Cheers, Ryan