Sign in to follow this  
Bob56

What cars from the 30's are most collectible

As the heading says, looking for a collectible from the thirties (turn Key). really like the 1931-32 chevy convert, mid 30's ford convert but will probably have to go with a four door ford convert because of price. Which other cars should I consider that parts are not to hard to find. Not looking for a trailer queen but maybe a #2 driver

Duesenberg, Mercedes 540k, Packard/Pierce/lincoln/caddy V12, Marmon/Caddy V16, are all most collectible to me.

You are asking us the wrong question. You should be asking yourself what you really like. If you don't love Ford 4 door Convertibles than don't buy one. If you can't find something you love that you can afford then wait.

Another question I would ask, Bob, is how do you intend to use your 30s car? In technical development this was a HUGE decade. A '31 - '32 Chevy or Model A Ford of the same half of the decade will perform very differently on the road than say, a late 30s straight eight sedan - Buick, Packard, or even a Ford flathead v-8. Join a local AACA region and see if you can hich a ride with a couple of members in different cars and you will know what I mean.

Also, Alsance is right about the most collectible makes, bodystyle matters as well. Open cars and coupes are more collectible, or desirable in most cases.

That said, this was one of the best decades, take your time, do yor research and you will know when it is time to go for it! :)

Bob56 -- The above gentlemen couldn't have given you better replies. Take all the time you need to

ask various owners, ride in various cars, research.

Respectively, you may not be ready for any car from

the '30s if you have to ask what to buy.

You have to buy what YOU really want. Hang the price. If you can't afford what you really, truly want,

don't buy an interim car. Don't waste your time with

a close enough or also-ran.

Take this enjoyable time to hang out with owners of various cars that so far appeal to you. Do a lot of armchair touring. Talk with everyone you can, ask questions.

There's no such thing as a dumb question.

It's always easier to accumulate stuff, cars including,

than to divest yourself of same, unless you want to wind up giving it away for a song.

Buy only what you really want, because you're going

to be caring for it. Hold out for the best example, even if you have to tighten your belt. Let this be an excuse to give up any costly bad habits. Charge your brother-in-law living in the basement rent.

Never, ever worry about whether such and such a model is a "good investment." If you like it, so will someone else when and if the time comes to sell.

If you want to invest any extra money, talk to your

accountant, financial advisor, etc. This is a hobby.

Your hobby. Never, ever view it as anything else, Auburn to Zephyr, Alfa to Zagato. And don't put too much stock in the officious computer-generated price guides on every newsstand. Too often, we've seen prices listed for a body style that was never even produced in a given year, and in numbers 1 through 6 condition!

This is only my 'umble commentary on the above sages' wisdom from many years playing with old cars,

hell, ancient cars, judging by what people consider "antique" these days, as i can't think of anything else to add.

Edited by Water Jacket (see edit history)