Carbuetor Question

I was recently at a National meet and had a National Judge question me about my Carburetor how it stood out.

I have painted mine in detail with two colors that are available.

I didn’t question the judge at that time but this does have me wondering if being question was that a good thing or bad.

All though I made it this far with the Carburetor being painted and now getting ready for my Grand can someone tell me is ok to leave it this way or should I just leave it natural looking so it does not stand out.

I don't know much about 1951 Chevrolet Trucks. I suspect that most vehicles of that era probably did not have painted carburetors. How was the carburetor finished when the truck was new?

Do you mean it is painted with a paint to simulate an original metal color, or is it painted black or some other particular color of paint?

If it looks different from how it came from the factory, you probably have/will receive a deduction for the painted carburetor.

I don't know much about 1951 Chevrolet Trucks. I suspect that most vehicles of that era probably did not have painted carburetors. How was the carburetor finished when the truck was new?

Do you mean it is painted with a paint to simulate an original metal color, or is it painted black or some other particular color of paint?

If it looks different from how it came from the factory, you probably have/will receive a deduction for the painted carburetor.

I painted it to simulate an original metal color although it turns out looking like a more of a solid color then the goodish look. My question should be are we aloud to use Simulated paint for the carburetor like we can for cad plating <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I can't exactly answer your question with 100% certainty. Does it look like it did originally? If it was questioned, I would guess that there may be an issue. If you write the VP of class judging, you can get a highlighted judging sheet that will show where deductions were taken. If the carburetor is highlighted on the sheet, then it would appear that a deduction was taken.

You are aware of the following from the judging guidelines...

"There will be no deduction for the use of aluminum paint or stainless steel to

simulate cadmium plating as long as the final finish actually simulates the

appearance of cadmium plating."

While it does not specifically apply to your carburetor question, I would personally take the position that this guideline could easily be understood as precedent that your carburetor paint is OK, as long as the final finish actually simulates the appearance of the carburetor as it came from the factory.

Without trying to be evasive or obnoxious, it really boils down to a simple question... Does it look like it did originally?

So, if it looks original it is right and if it does not look like it did originally, it is wrong.

Joe assume when you say recoated you mean not paint. Well if not I just went down to work on my Carbuetor and finally had my first gas leak and quest what!!! That's right the paint that's made for It is starting to come off. So I'm here to say and from others that I now believe it's best to leave it like original or better if recoated like the original coating.

There would have been several different finishes on different components of the carburetor used on a 1951 Chevrolet truck.

(A) The zinc alloy parts (airhorn and bowl) would have been chromated.

(B) The cast iron throttle body would have been Parkerized.

© Some of the steel pieces would have been zinc plated with white zinc.

(D) Others of the steel pieces would have been zinc plated with white zinc, then dipped in a yellow conversion dip.

There are no paints on the market that even closely resemble the chromate coating.

As to what "should" be allowed without penalty? That would be up to the judging authority. If one plans to "show", always a good idea to contact the judging authority before making changes. That way there are no "surprises".

Jon.

Guest 36chev

Does your truck use the W1 series Carter carburetor (cast iron body) or the Rochester (pot metal/aluminum I believe)?

I have a NOS 1941 Chevy W1 Carter and the cast iron body is painted with a thin black wash. The aluminum/pot metal parts are unpainted. The stamped steel accelerator pump cover is painted a gloss black. I though Chevrolet used the Carter on the 216 up through 1950-52 or so, but could be wrong.

Not sure what the Rochester should be painted.