1919 hub puller question

72caddy

Many of you know I lost some wooden wheel spokes the other day and I asked for shop recommendations, which there were several. Thank you.

Now I need a hub puller to remove the fellow and hub from the full floating axle. My car is a 1919 +/-. Hub thread diameter and TPI is 2.5" - 18 if I am seeing good. Does this sound correct? If anyone could loan me a puller I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will just wait for one to turn up on fleabay.

If these are so hard to pull off, how hard are they to get properly seated back on the axle?

Richard

Rich, You may not even need a puller. Take a large RUBBER head hammer, and beat the back of the tire while it is still mounted to wheel, around the perimeter of the back of the tire, sort of evenly. If the spokes are too broken or fragile, try a pine 2X4, about 1-1/2 feet long, directed at a spot on the rear wheel and hit it with a heavy hammer. I'm not sure, but the rear wheels used a special puller that threaded onto the hub, using the hubcap threads. There's not much meat behind the threads for a jaw type puller to grab, or even a two piece "collar" puller. Anyway, I've had good luck in the past with the "big rubber hammer" scene. They're stuck from age and the tightness of the rear wheel nut, when you put it on, I think it should be around 100 foot pounds torque, but check to make sure about that. Good luck, Pete.

Guest 1930

I know you cant drive the car forward to loosen the wheel once the nut is loosened but how about if you drive it in reverse, maybe if you squirt some wood glue in there and drive the car in reverse the spokes will all straighten, the wheel will pop loose and you wont have to do a thing except tighten the big nut back up and wait for the Elmers glue to dry.

Richard, to remove the wheel from the axle just remove the 8 small nuts from around the hub flange this will allow you to remove the drive plate. Sometimes the axle will come out with it, this is not a problem. When you have the drive flange off just loosen the clamp ring locking bolt and unscrew the nut holding the bearing (this is what holds the wheel to the axle). Inside the brake drum there will be another set of nuts this is what holds the wheel together. I will post a pic. of a wheel so you can see the bearing races without the drive flange. Good luck any questions you can email me at sgr2@frontier.com Steve

post-82179-143138988517_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve, I knew I was missing something - removal of the bolts to expose the locking nut.

I read everything I could find last night and these steps were missing. I think I will document thoroughly and post here so all will have this if they are every unfortunate to have the same issue.

Guest 1930

Quote..........I think I will document thoroughly and post here so all will have this if they are every unfortunate to have the same issue. ..........Great idea