455 intake manifold

Time to look at new intake for street driven 455 Skylark. Motor is stock now but will continue upgrades as I go. Question is there, is not a lot of selection of Buick intakes. All seem to claim to be the best. Poston,TA or Edlebrock? Anyone had experience with these? Car is 455 skylark w/2004r auto. I expect to change gears to 3:73 and a higher stall converter. thanks. Ken

Edelbrock Performer is only slightly better than stock. Not as good as the older Edelbrock B4B.<P>Poston S Divider? I've never seen a back to back dyno test between the stock manifold and the Poston S Divider? Even the GSCA doesn't have much info on this manifold. 30-35 HP over stock? If this was true, you'd think all the GSCA members would jump on this one, but they aren't. Go figure. <P>Gotta have the big stuff for the TA or you'll run slower.<P><BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BillyBoy:<BR><B>Anybody got a B4B for sale?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Not me. FYI There are two types of B4B's. One for the square bore carb and one for the the spread bore carb.<P><BR>

stay away from the poston S-divider. it is junk. the TA (as someone said) is for more stout motors. i have the Edelbrock performer. i have had it machined and modified to run with my setup. it is very good for a street motor. it can run right out of the box, or you cn port match it and such.<P>like everyone says, decide where your car is going to go (as far a set up) and pick the manifold accordingly. the B4B is nice, but the performer is good too for a street motor. i have no experience with the TA, but have only heard good things when used in the right combo.<P>john

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riv1973:<BR><B>....the B4B is nice, but the performer is good too for a street motor. ..john </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The current Performer (unlike the older B4B) also has the carburetor pad located in the stock position for the GS hood scoop induction system.<P><BR>

i think that the s-divider is junk because when i had it onto the motor, the manifold caused incomplete burning in several of the cylinders. there was large amount of carbon on the runners, there was also a strange "pulse" in the firing order as the engine was running. the pulse seemed to cause the engine to run rough. <P>junk may be too rough of a word, but i definately think that it is not the best manifold out there. there are much better ones out there. <P>i do not know anyone that thinks that the manifold is any good. for the money it is better to go with a proven design. <P>it was funny one time i was telling some one what i though of the s-divider and why. and it turned out to be the creator of the manifold.<P>oops<P>john

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riv1973:<BR><B>....it was funny one time i was telling some one what i though of the s-divider and why. and it turned out to be the creator of the manifold....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Did he give you any advise on how to solve your problem? Any tuning tips?<P>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straycat:<BR><B> Did he give you any advise on how to solve your problem? Any tuning tips?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That would be Jim Burek then. You can find him on the buickperformance.com email list or at <A HREF="http://www.paeenterprises.com" TARGET=_blank>www.paeenterprises.com</A> <P><BR>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken<P>How has the 200r4 been working out for you. If good what type of mods did you have done I am thinking about going that route with gears around 3:60 to 4:10.<P>frank gressler

I Have an Edelbrock B4B forsale. It was taken off a 71 Buck GS clone, along with the headers.<P>If anyone's interested, just e-mail me. You pay cost + shipping. I can have photos but it'll take a while because I don't ahve a digit camera available.<P>-Phil