First Gen Riv Clock

Guest Kingoftheroad

I just sprayed mine down with WD-40 and it instantly started ticking in my hands! However, it does run fast and still does after turning back the time several times. Not sure what else to do bout it.

what oil are you guys using?? the ROA page says Neets Foot oil, which I dont have a clue where to get. There has to be a more procurable option

I just sprayed mine down with WD-40 and it instantly started ticking in my hands! However, it does run fast and still does after turning back the time several times. Not sure what else to do bout it.

I do not recommend spraying a mechanical clock with WD-40. It will dry gummy and it will dissolve all the rubber parts in the clock.

Take it to a clock shop. Have them clean it and oil it with watch oil.

I do not recommend spraying a mechanical clock with WD-40. It will dry gummy and it will dissolve all the rubber parts in the clock.

Take it to a clock shop. Have them clean it and oil it with watch oil.

Aw shucks, now I have to remove mine as I sprayed some WD40 in it. And here I was so pleased that it was working; but glad that you posted that, Jim.

Steve

I just joined the "I can't believe the clock actually works" club. I've been recently restoring the dash on my 63. I pulled everything off. Re-chromed the trim, bezels etc. I did a color change too so that took a lot of time. Installed a black Dash Pro dash cover which turned out really great. The last thing I did was re-do the clock. When I originally pulled my clock out weeks ago I marveled at the complexity and frankly the beauty of the inner workings. That said, I was not very optimistic about the chances of it ever working again. It never worked in the last 8 years and it looked sort of dirty and neglected. I soaked it light oil and let it sit for a few days. Next I cleaned the lens and repainted the hands. Then I re-assembled it. Everything else on the restored dash looked great and this was the last piece of the puzzle. I plugged it in and connected the battery cable. Unbelievable, the clock sprang to life and works like a champ. It blew my mind. They just done make stuff like that anymore. PRL

After reading I had to pull mine and see. It is quite interesting inside. I was so impressed I showed the kids how old mechanical stuff worked. Now mine was clean but dried out. I couldnt get the clock setting to spin the gears. After starring at it trying to figure out how it worked I found the stuck gear at the very bottom. Towards the face. I lubed it (small amounts of WD40) and worked it for about a half hour before it worked a little more smoothly. The clock works and I can get the clocked adjusted.

one last problem. The knob is missing from the adjuster. Is this available or can someone send a picture of what it looks like? Maybe I can improvise.

Can someone tell me how the above mentioned knob can be removed/installed? Mine turns maybe 3/4 turn on the shaft. Is it threaded?

Steve

The knob is threaded on the shaft. With the back off, grip the shaft with a pair of small needle nose pliers and twist the knob off. At least that's how I've done it in the past.

The knob is threaded on the shaft. With the back off, grip the shaft with a pair of small needle nose pliers and twist the knob off.

Thanks for that Ed. I tried that but I guess these old hands are getting weaker. I'll have my wife try it. :D

Steve

Guest Im4darush

Read this thread very attentively as the clock in my 65 is also not working. Pulled it out, took it apart and found that the clock ran if you wind it by hand. In other words it runs until the points touch and then stops. I cleaned the points, lubed it up and connected it. And I did make sure I had power at the connector. I still have a problem as the clock does not seem to get energized. Any ideas?

Guest Kingoftheroad

The clock in my Riv is STILL running GREAT !! The clock runs like its making up for lost time...lol.