'64 Skylark four barrel Rochester

Guest AnthonyHansen

Guest AnthonyHansen

Thanks for the responses when I said I was looking for Quadrajet information. I knew better, must have had brain lock!<BR>My '64 Skylark had a Holly carburetor on it when I purchased it. It was originally a four barrel Rochester. <BR>I'd like to find the original carb and linkage, but I don't know how to spot the correct carb at a swap meet (or wherever).<BR>I'd like to do this in part to make the variable pitch torque converter functional again.<BR>I have the shop manual and it doesn't help enough. What book or manual would be a good one to buy?<BR>Tony Hansen corsaconvertible@yahoo.com <BR>'64 Buick Skylark, '65 Corvair Corsa Convertible,<BR>'75 Cosworth Vega, '55 Ford Thunderbird<BR>Shenandoah, Iowa <BR>

Are you telling us that when this Holly (yuk) was installed the VP and kickdown switch was left off? Man that was a boner! The little 300 really need that VP, the first gear is about 1.65 to one and your car must really be a dog out of the hole. You should be watching eBay for the carb, I just sold a '66 one there myself. I would think that you could put a new Edelbrock Comp AFB on there and hookup the proper linkage, that would be what I would do, being I have had such good luck with the Edelbrock carbs. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Does anyone know the correct carb for this application good enough to describe it? I bought a small (Excellent looking rebuilt) 4 barrel Rochester off ebay a couple of months ago, thinking it could be used as a spare for my 65 401. I knew it had a water choke on it, thought all I would have to do is convert it. BUT, when I got the carb, it has a much smaller throttle body made of Aluminum vs the heavy cast iron big bore that I needed. Carb has no tag, and no casting numbers that I could cross, although someone did paint the number 7003 on the side of the body. It has the same throttle linkage hookup as my 65 Riviera, this is what threw me off in the pictures on ebay. It looks too good to pirate for parts, but thats about all I could do with it. If anyone thinks they may know what it is, (maybe what Anthony is looking for?) email me or post description in this thread.<BR>boydshuler@hotmail.com<P>------------------<BR>Boyd Shuler<BR>Orangeburg, S.C.<BR>65 Riviera

Guest AnthonyHansen

Thanks for your thoughts. Your right about it being a dog of the line!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MARTINSR:<BR><B>Are you telling us that when this Holly (yuk) was installed the VP and kickdown switch was left off? Man that was a boner! The little 300 really need that VP, the first gear is about 1.65 to one and your car must really be a dog out of the hole. You should be watching eBay for the carb, I just sold a '66 one there myself. I would think that you could put a new Edelbrock Comp AFB on there and hookup the proper linkage, that would be what I would do, being I have had such good luck with the Edelbrock carbs. <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Guest AnthonyHansen

I found 4 Rochester 4 barrels at a swap meet, paid $15 for all, but don' know if any are correct. It looks like one has never been used, two are clean, one is dirty, all move freely, none have tags. I could email pictures if that would help anyone assist me<BR>Thanks, Tony Hansen <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nail-head:<BR><B>Does anyone know the correct carb for this application good enough to describe it? I bought a small (Excellent looking rebuilt) 4 barrel Rochester off ebay a couple of months ago, thinking it could be used as a spare for my 65 401. I knew it had a water choke on it, thought all I would have to do is convert it. BUT, when I got the carb, it has a much smaller throttle body made of Aluminum vs the heavy cast iron big bore that I needed. Carb has no tag, and no casting numbers that I could cross, although someone did paint the number 7003 on the side of the body. It has the same throttle linkage hookup as my 65 Riviera, this is what threw me off in the pictures on ebay. It looks too good to pirate for parts, but thats about all I could do with it. If anyone thinks they may know what it is, (maybe what Anthony is looking for?) email me or post description in this thread.<BR>boydshuler@hotmail.com<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,<BR>The carb you have sounds like the one from a 64 300. To the best of my knowledge, the 61-64 Buick rochester carbs for the small motors used the water choke. That would also explain why the bores are small. Since you say it has the linkage like your 65, that should mean it is a 64 and hooks up to the switch pitch/kickdown control used on the 64-67 models.<BR>I always thought the 65-66 motors used the Carter AFB instead of the Rochester. So, you may need to be looking for that instead.<BR>The 401/425 bores should be bigger than the 300/340 bores. So, it seems you have a small block carb.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Regards,<BR>Mark

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here's the correct poop! ONLY the 64 300 engine used a Rochester carb with a water choke! PERIOD! the number is 7024044 for automatics, 7024045 for stick shift versions.I know because I have owned three of these cars,and know them intimately. If the carb does not have the water choke, then you have the wrong carb, and hopefully, someone has snookered you! Good Luck! Look for the numbers. you can't go wrong.....

Tony,<BR>If you don't end up using one or all of the 4 rochesters you mentioned I might be interested in one. I actually just picked one up for my 64 300 but it was missing a couple of pieces so I need a parts carb.<BR>Thanks, Jeromy