BARN FIND 1951 Mercury Woody

Guest franktheviking

Guest franktheviking

Just brought in this '51 Mercury Woody. This was sold new in Los Angeles and has spent most of its life in Tucson Arizona. It was Rodded in the late sixties with a 289 and a floor mounted 3 speed with Hurst shifter (and groovy 8 track in the glove box). Then was parked in '73 in Tucson. Amazing body, but no exterior wood left. I am stuck on what exactly to do with it. I don't have the money for a full restoration right now. Also, I'm not sure about going back to the original drivetrain or not. Personally I would rather have the updatted engine, and I don't think it hurts the value much. I know where to get the wood kits, but any thoughts and advice on this project is appreciated.

post-52888-143138984578_thumb.jpg

post-52888-143138984583_thumb.jpg

post-52888-143138984586_thumb.jpg

post-52888-143138984588_thumb.jpg

Guest franktheviking

Thanks for the responses. -W-Higgins- Super nice work on the rust repair! I have been going through the car more and have been pricing materials. This is a super dry car and a perfect candidate for restoration, but I just don't have the resources to do it right now. So I have decided to either sell it or wrap it up and store it until I can do the job.

I plan on posting the car on eBay this weekend or next, but I figured it wouldn't hurt getting the word out here first. Here is a short description of the car besides what I wrote in my initial post:

Dry, dry, dry California/Arizona car. A little rust in the outer rockers only. No rust in the front fenders, floor, quarters, tailgate, etc! This car literally has one day of rust repair to do. It needs all new wood, both inside and out. The drivetrain is not original. Currently it has a 289 that turns over and a 3 speed stick. I have not tried to get it running yet, but was told it was driving when it was last parked in '73.

This is a great car to restore, but needs everything.

Here are a couple of fresh pictures after a day or two of cleaning and buffing.

post-52888-14313899003_thumb.jpg

post-52888-143138990039_thumb.jpg

post-52888-143138990044_thumb.jpg

post-52888-14313899005_thumb.jpg

Its your car and you want to drive it. Leave the more modern drive train in it for dependable use including your family in the hobby, maybe even add AC for your wife. The wood work starts whenever you can afford it. I for one would relish seeing this car at a cruise night or a car show WITHOUT the wood. It would be a learning experience for younger people too and just might get someone under 50 interested in this hobby which really wouldn't be a bad thing. Curiosity got most of us into cars.

What most of this hobby doesn't realize is that a show of 100 glossed out cars that a 30 year old can't begin to identify. with arrogant owners standing around discussing politics is NOT going to keep the hobby going another 50 years. Give the public something to look at.

post-57494-143138993473_thumb.jpg

Guest wtppackard

If you are interested in selling your Mercury please let me know what you want for it and any other details (is it complete, how is the interior and dash, etc.).

Feel free to email me at: bill.piggott@yahoo.com.

Thank you

Guest franktheviking

-StillOutThere- I agree with you 100%. I did decide to put the car on eBay, but if it doesn't sell I will be working on it as much as I can. I am a relatively young guy and have been in this business for a long time. I love going to shows, but I do get excited when, after walking down row after row of perfect cars, I come a cross a car with tons of character and patina.

If it does not meet my reserve on eBay I am going to get it running with the current drivetrain. I think the 289 and 3 speed will be a lot of fun in that car. I will also do the interior wood. Driving it like that will certainly be a sight to see.