1937 Dodge D5 questions (with some '41 questions also)

Guest Kelsey

Well, Hopefully, my grille trim piece shows up tomorrow so I can get the front clip on and the car running just in time to take it to the Upholster shop.

I have been searching for YEARS for a particular part and it just occured to me that I have not asked any of you gents on here.. So, I am going to ask and hope one of you guys has this

1st Part: OK, my leaf springs are wrapped with a thin piece of sheet metal.. I have 3 of the 4 intact but I am missing one complete "wrap" I have had no luck sourcing one of these.. So, any of you guys know where one is??

2nd Part: I just noticed that my Fisher Door Sill plates could be in better shape.. They are not terrible.. but are there any aftermarket companies making these door sill plates?

Thanks in advance

Kelsey

In the 1937 model year ALL Mopars models (P3/4 D5/6/7 C14/15/16/17 and S3) have significant changes early/mid year. Have to follow serial numbers/ Part numbers. Safety knobs (IE) recessed knobs were/are a major visual hint to differ early from later. Early have knobs sticking out, I'll have to verify, but even the outside door handles were redesigned to not catch clothes.

. . .

1st Part: OK, my leaf springs are wrapped with a thin piece of sheet metal.. I have 3 of the 4 intact but I am missing one complete "wrap" I have had no luck sourcing one of these.. So, any of you guys know where one is?? . . .

I believe they are called spring gaiters and I believe that I've seen ads for suppliers in the AACA magazine but I don't have one at hand to check. A quick web search turns up these two possibilities:

Rudy's custom gaiters and coupling discs

PackardClub.org • View topic - Spring Gaiters

I believe they are called spring gaiters and I believe that I've seen ads for suppliers in the AACA magazine but I don't have one at hand to check. A quick web search turns up these two possibilities:

Rudy's custom gaiters and coupling discs

PackardClub.org • View topic - Spring Gaiters

AWESOME!! Called both but Rudy was out and VM on the other.. But thans so much for the links.. Iwill try them tomorrow and see what they have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190895935944?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_49771wt_1122

In the 1937 model year ALL Mopars models (P3/4 D5/6/7 C14/15/16/17 and S3) have significant changes early/mid year. Have to follow serial numbers/ Part numbers. Safety knobs (IE) recessed knobs were/are a major visual hint to differ early from later. Early have knobs sticking out, I'll have to verify, but even the outside door handles were redesigned to not catch clothes.

I Did not know that.. But, yes, that car is very dfferent from mine in areas that I would think would be the same..

here is the link to see that car http://www.ebay.com/itm/190895935944?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_49771wt_1122

Edited by Kelsey (see edit history)

That seems to be the "norm" with some of these big "restoration" shops that work up a car then try to sell for big profit.

I have seen at least three cars of this age show up for sale on eBay in the last few years that look really nice but for those knowledgeable about the cars there are a lot of little things wrong with them. I guessed the same on the door gaskets. I think that was a "measure once cut short" incident on the door panels. (Geez!)

I was trying to see if I could spot the part you were asking about since this sample is also a coupe but I did not see it anywhere. Thought you may have been able to spot something that would spur a memory on its location/use.

Anyway, it is always good to see some other versions of these cars in a "finished" state. Sometimes the photos come in handy while you are trying to explain some issue about your car when on the Forum.

These photos of the '37 Coupe are also a perfect example of why I started a series of posts earlier asking folks to post copies of "original" photos of our various cars. That way we would KNOW that a certain thing is "correct" and not take something seen on a "restored" car's photos as gospel. Many times things shown on restoration photos are NOT correct.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Hi Kelsey,

Door sill plates try :

Door Sills LLC

81 Graham Avenue

North Haledon, NJ, USA

Ph 973-904-0270

I understand he is on email now but I don't have the address.

Don did my 34 door sills plates and a friends 2 door Chrysler as well and we are both wrapped with the results.

I understand he can make them from a sample as well but there is a bit of a wait for them but we'll worth it...thirst me !

Cheers

Ian

Hi Kelsey,

Door sill plates try :

Door Sills LLC

81 Graham Avenue

North Haledon, NJ, USA

Ph 973-904-0270

I understand he is on email now but I don't have the address.

Don did my 34 door sills plates and a friends 2 door Chrysler as well and we are both wrapped with the results.

I understand he can make them from a sample as well but there is a bit of a wait for them but we'll worth it...thirst me !

Cheers

Ian

Hey thanks Ian.. I will callthem 1st thing in the morn.. Curious what do these sill plates cost? and did you think that they were exact reproductions?

Thanks

OK, tomorrow is th big day (radiator on and fired up).. got tons done today will update later

However; did find another mystery piece (s)

I am pretty sure this is interior related but have no idea what it is.. So, if you guys recognize it.. Please let me know where it goes

Thanks

post-30646-143142179781_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142179786_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14314217979_thumb.jpg

Hi Kelsey,

Dave provided some great shots of the door sill covers. They are exact copies of the originals where the pattern is identical. I have my originals and the new ones are excellent.

Mine cost me approx $260 but I think it was an excellent investment. seeing the car your doing, I wouldn't hesitate in getting these as it will set the car off nicely.

Cheers

Ian

WHOOOO HOOO!!!!

So, I finally have a running 37 Dodge D5 Business Coupe.. Not complete yet, thanks to a very slow body shop.. but running and moving, nonetheless.. I can not believe that I do not have to work on the car tomorrow.. Hell, me and th eboy may have to go ride dirt bikes like everybody else.. OR I could owrk on my other classic?? NA!!

Anyway,, here are some pics.. the cars is VERY dirty and dusty and the day was overcast, so no pearl shining thru... But pretty happy with it..

post-30646-143142181667_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142181672_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142181677_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142181681_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142181686_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14314218169_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142181694_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142181698_thumb.jpg

Looks fabulous! I think I can see my OWN reflection in it from here!!

It's too bad the Sun is not out and the car is so dusty.. the pearl in this paint is absolutely stunning..

Thanks for compliments.. It should have upholsery in the next 2 weeks and hopefully some fenders.. LOL

ANY Guesses on those mystery parts I posted a few posts back??

Ya, still much more to do... But at least there i some light at the end of the tunnel..

Can't wait to get the rest of the body on and the interior done.. Hopefully, in the next month, she will be complete...

It has been an uphill battle as you all know, there is always something that sets you back..

I found ou yesterday when I was fitting the grille, that one side of my grille is welded different than the other.. especially the top fin.. so it will NEVER line up with the other side..Not sure why this is, must have been a screw up at the factory..I pulle dout my spare grill that I just bought and compared.. It is perfect in that regard AND, then I noticed some other difference.. My original grilles had no slotted mounting holes.. the other 37 grille.. ALL holes a majorly slotted..so, you can fit iti much easier.. So, I slotted all my holes as well.. My original grille would not clear the upper surround moulding screw.. so I had to notch it to clear.. looked at the other grille.. YUP, you guessed it, notched out from the factory to clear the screw.. Must be an early vs. late 37 thing.. the newer grille is a btter fit for sure, but I thin kmine looks OK and and I am not thrilled bout geting th eother one chromed and them pulling everything apart again.. but.. ya never know.. could happen..

Car is loaded in the trailer and off to the Upholstery shop in the morning.. Pretty exciting... I will get some pics back when she returns with some interior..

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kelsey

Hi People.. It has been quite a while since my last update...

LOTS has happened.... I feel like I live in a 1937 Dodge D5 Business Coupe since ALL my spare time and every full weekend is devoted to it!! LOL.

BUT,... there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel.... FINALLY!!

Bad News.. the Body shop still has my Hood, fenders, and running boards.

GOOD NEWS!! I have most everything else finished and I am very pleased with the car so far...

Hopefully, you guys don't mind me sharing MANY pics of the obsession..

I informed everybody, at the start, I was keeping it MOSTLY original but I had to put my spin on a few things..

Let me know what you guys think.. I do not offend easy AT ALL!!!

Here Goes....

post-30646-143142223156_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223161_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223164_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223168_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223172_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223175_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223179_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223183_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223187_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223191_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223194_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223198_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223202_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223206_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14314222321_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223213_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223217_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223221_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223225_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142223228_thumb.jpg

I think it looks great, maybe not everything is factory original but considering how it could have ended up I think you are doing a great job

Guest Kelsey
What a fantastic job. I like the detail on the door with the DB emblem and behind the seat as well with the emblem there too. Can't wait to see it with guards etc....great work guys.

I see you got some id tags.....all good ?

keep us posted

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Guys appreciate all the kind words.. I just figured if I was going to spend the $$ and dedicate this car to my Grandma, I prefer to have it looking like I want it to look vs the engineer at Dodge during the Depression ERA..

Just myself and my 16 year old son have been doing all the work except the paint work and interior.. all disassembly and re-assembly has been done by us in my garage, on our backs..

Ian, the Data tags are OK, they are VERY THIN... If you decide to make some red ones.. maybe consider 1 higher grade in thickness on the plate that requires stamping (just an idea). I wouls still be interested in one if it were thicker.. so let me know if you ever get around to making the red ones..

Still interested in all the comments.. good or bad..

I wanted to keep the car looking OLD and correct for time era. without using the itchy mo-hair and plain dull browns that were stock.. The stock colors are fine, but the car is very "dark" in stock form...IMO...

Do you guys think it looks "old"

Hi Kelsey,

I'm in the process of getting red data plates made at the moment. Shouldn't be too long now. The Body Number plate I have is rectangular and not an oval shape so that might not work. Wait and see what they look like and I'll post a photo when I get them.

I reckon it looks "Old" and is a credit to you. Perhaps wait until all the guards are on then it will look the part.

What size / brand tyres did you end up getting ?

Cheers

Ian

Guest Kelsey
Hi Kelsey,

I'm in the process of getting red data plates made at the moment. Shouldn't be too long now. The Body Number plate I have is rectangular and not an oval shape so that might not work. Wait and see what they look like and I'll post a photo when I get them.

I reckon it looks "Old" and is a credit to you. Perhaps wait until all the guards are on then it will look the part.

What size / brand tyres did you end up getting

Cheers

Ian

Ian, I would love to have the rest of the body parts installed.. I fear that it will be another month and by then I will be too busy with my Winter Business to get them on properly (plus the cold temps do not make it good to install) but we will see.. if this is the case, then it will be Spring until I finally finish her.. Too bad...because she is so close now but I can not rush the body shop or I fear they will not do as good of a job.. so, I wait patiently and hope for the best..

The Tires are Coker bias ply the same size as original ( I forget the size) but 16" wheels . I wanted to stay with the Bias ply vs the radial because the sizing is different...

I do plan on putting a pin stripe on the wheels.. in my town of 5,000 people, I am fidning it hard to locate somebody who can do it.. but I am working on it

I forgot to show some pics of the trunk.. I had the "hole" covered behnd the seat and really di dnot like the original mats that were factory.. also the inside showing the moulding clips di dnot appeal to me. so I had the carpet laid in there... kind of finishes it off IMO

post-30646-143142224545_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142224548_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142224552_thumb.jpg

I admire you for doing as much as you have with your young Son. You invite candid views and are prepared for comments of either a positive or negative slant; that in itself is a credit to you.

Of course you must add a few luxury touches if that is what you feel comfortable with although I feel there is always a risk that you "personalise" the car which will not necessarily appeal to some people who may be expecting a factory finish but as Jason has already pointed out, the fate of a car such as this is often a far less happy one.

The standard of work is excellent and when finished this lovely coupe should make you proud. Grandma too!

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Well, Checked in with the Body Shop and they are actually working on my fenders... So, hopefully, i twill not be too much longer..

When putting on my head lights (orignal reflective 6V bulb) I noticed I was missing 2 of my reflector retainer clips.. I can not find these anywhere nor even a part number for them..

So, I am hoping somebody on here has converted to a sealed beam or has a few of these lying around.. OR even a part number.. LOL

Anyway I will attach a pic of the item.. Let me know if you guys know wher to get one or 2

Thanks

post-30646-143142229262_thumb.jpg

Restoration Specialties should have these ,ask for Dave or Jeff. If they cant't help let me know I'll go and see if I can find them. They should be the same as '36.

I checked the restoration specialties catalogue (a few times) I simply can not find it in there...

Missed the one on EBAY

Kelsey,

This is what I've come up with. The Dodge Brothers oval ID plate looks nice ! The body number plate I am getting made in an oval shape like your original and these are a lot thicker so you can stamp them. The Budd body plate was on the same sheet so I'm not sure if they ever came out in the red but at least they all match :)

I took 3 photos of the first one to try and get a good shot of the colour. Sorry, its really hard to get one that looks right. I think the colour is called Fire Engine Red.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143142233481_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142233484_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142233487_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142233489_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143142233492_thumb.jpg