1937 Dodge D5 questions (with some '41 questions also)

Guest Kelsey

Guest Kelsey

Another frustrating couple of days.. with wrong parts and issues..

tried another supplier for the rear pinion seal and, got a seal that is 1.375 vs. 1.305 OD .. So, no install on that... Will hunt the correct seal on Monday.. Looks like Ionly have 1 option NAPA 18880 which is much differnt from the OEM style seal... but appears to be my only option because the CR 5851 seal is simply too large OD and will never install.. too bad, because it is a nice seal.

Found that the pinion cone bearing is also not standard , per the data sheets, anyway.. Info shows a 31593 which is a 1.375 shaft and mine is a 1.313 shaft diameter... Looks like there are 3 possibilites for this bearing..

31590, HM89443, and HM89444... The 31593 bearing is what is called out but is wrong... The 31590 and 89443 differ slightly but either should work.. I Hope!

Got ALL the body mounts installed.. This was nice... Got the master cylinder rebuilt and all the brakes bled, so, brakes will be excellent when it returns from paint.(I already replaced all wheel cylinders last year)

So, it will be in the body shop this week providing there is no more surprises with the pinion seal install..

Guest Kelsey
Hi Kelsey. I looked through my stocks of pinion seals but they are either too big or too small. Looks like you have a size -1.305 O.D.- not commonly used at least over here. Sorry, can't help.

YUP.. 3.105 OD.. Just frustrating to buy parts, wait for them and then find out thay they are the wrong part..

So, if anybody needs a pinion seal??? 3.125" OD?? I have one...LOL and a few other pieces that do not fit..

Guest Kelsey

Got another question.. Looking a bit ahead at tires.. do you know if this car came with whitewalls or not?

Also, is COKER the only game in town for these old style tires?

Thanks for the info

Edited by Kelsey (see edit history)

Got another question.. Looking a bit ahead at tires.. do you know if this car came with whitewalls or not?

Also, is COKER the only game in town for these old style tires?

Thanks for the info

Standard tires on the business coupe would be blackwalls.

• 10 months later...
Guest Kelsey

WOW.. Been A while since I had any nes to report.. Just yesterday FINALLY got the car out of the body shop with just the main body and dash completed.. It turned out unbelievable!! The color and paint are far better than I expected.. Hey, and it only took 10 months LOL!!..

So, the body shop is now working on the body external pars and they have assured me that they will be done very soon..

So, Now, my son and I are ready to get this car running.. We opened up the wiring harness I had made (beautiful work) and immediately found 1 slight wiring problem (so far) it is a simple one that has to do with the dual horn set up and the horn relay... Nothing major..

So, we hope to have the engine installed this weekend and the wiring as well..

Hey, anybody have any thoughts on the best oil I should put in the tranny (3 sp manual)??..

Guest Kelsey

OK.. Been VERY Busy week.. Got the new wire harness in (Harness Unlimited.. these guys do an AWESEOM JOB)

Got the engine fully assembled

Got the clutch and tranny mounted

and finally... got it installed!!...

I know it is not correct for the year... but I am very happy with the colors...

What do you guys think??

post-30646-143141967201_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143141967207_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143141967212_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143141967216_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14314196722_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143141967224_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14314196748_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143141967486_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14314196749_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143141967494_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143141967498_thumb.jpg

Not sure how I missed this wonderful thread And I truly admire the beautiful work you have done. I'm light years behind in my work on my P4s.

I have a complete parts list for Codes P3/P4/D5/D6/D7/S3/C14/C15/C16/C17 to include Canadian parts/differences. Dated July 1 1937 by Chrysler Corp of Canada. The main listing can be used to determine what interchanges between all the models mentioned.(Or doesn't in the case of S3 a lot) I have sent copies of the different parts Code groups to folks by request. Holler if I can help.

OK.. Been VERY Busy week.. Got the new wire harness in (Harness Unlimited.. these guys do an AWESEOM JOB)

Got the engine fully assembled

Got the clutch and tranny mounted

and finally... got it installed!!...

I know it is not correct for the year... but I am very happy with the colors...

What do you guys think??

Did they replace the water distribution tube in the engine? A lot of people forget this item.

Guest Kelsey

I did not replace that.. I looked at it at it seems to be non corroded and in great shape.. It was still intsalled in the block when the engine got hot-tanked... so I think it cleaned up during that process.. Is this something to be concerned about?

Guest Kelsey

Also, right now I am trying to find the fuel tanks sending unit's gasket.. I simply can not locate one for this.. I guess it would be easy enough to make with a piece of cork or rubber..

anybody know who makes this gasket?

Thanks

I did not replace that.. I looked at it at it seems to be non corroded and in great shape.. It was still intsalled in the block when the engine got hot-tanked... so I think it cleaned up during that process.. Is this something to be concerned about?

At the least, pull it out and verify that none of the openings that direct coolant at the exhaust valve seats are clogged. Crud in the bottom of the water jackets and missing/corroded/clogged water distribution tubes are a very big reason for overheating problems.

Also, right now I am trying to find the fuel tanks sending unit's gasket.. I simply can not locate one for this.. I guess it would be easy enough to make with a piece of cork or rubber..

anybody know who makes this gasket?

Thanks

Not sure, does the '37 use the same SAE 5 hole fuel mounting holes as the earlier (1928 through at least 1934) Plymouths? If so, that gasket should be available at any good auto supply store as it is still used on boats and RVs for the "universal mount" sending units. If it uses the later lock ring style mounting then it would be very easy to make.

Guest Kelsey

Yes, 5 hole gasket on the sending unit.... So, just check with NAPA or somebody??Everytime I mention the year to the auto parts store they just get a weird look on their face.. Got a part number by any chance?

On the water distribution tube.. I will pull it out and look.. If I have to pull the head to inspect the water jackets... do you think the head gasket is good to reuse (never been started or had any fluids in it yet)?

Yes, 5 hole gasket on the sending unit.... So, just check with NAPA or somebody??Everytime I mention the year to the auto parts store they just get a weird look on their face.. Got a part number by any chance?

On the water distribution tube.. I will pull it out and look.. If I have to pull the head to inspect the water jackets... do you think the head gasket is good to reuse (never been started or had any fluids in it yet)?

I would never re-use a head gasket.

I don't have a number from a place like NAPA as the ones I've gotten have come with the universal senders that I was attempting to modify to work on my old car. But it looks like they should be available, for example: Replacement Neoprene Fuel Sender Gasket - SAE 5 Hole | Level Sender Replacements Parts | Service Parts | VDO Instruments and Accessories

Or Fuel Sender Gasket - 5 Hole

Or The Hot Rod Company - Fuel Sender Cork Gasket

I know about that weird look on the face of auto parts store clerks. Fortunately I have a very good local auto parts store near by with all the old paper catalogs and older parts men who are willing to dig. But you will have to give up on the notion of giving them the year and make of your car to get the part: Their books (older auto supply store) or computer (newer auto supply store) just don't go back that far. However an amazing number of parts are still available if you know the cross reference or even if you just know the original Chrysler part number. Having parts book for your car is a very, very good thing and there are reprints available for most of them.

You are working on a Dodge while my focus is on Plymouth so my cross reference information needs are slightly different. However since Dodge and Plymouth shared lots of mechanical components you might find my web site useful. If you have a Dodge parts book and can get the original Chrysler part number for an item of interest you can use that part number to see if I have a cross reference. Or if you believe that the specific part you are looking for is the same for Plymouth you might be able to look up the Chrysler number and cross.

Plymouth Replacement Parts: Search

Of course there are roughly a gazillion parts I don't have references for, but maybe some of them will be helpful to you.

. . . If I have to pull the head to inspect the water jackets... do you think the head gasket is good to reuse (never been started or had any fluids in it yet)?

P.S. On checking the water jackets: The crud ends up at the bottom of the water jackets, so rather than pullin the head you might pull the core/welch/freeze plugs to examine and or access for cleaning. You will, of course, need new plugs to replace the ones you remove.

Guest Kelsey

OK, pulled out water tube and flushed with water and air the cooling passages until the water flow going in matched the flow coming out of the drain cock.. So, all should be good there.. found the fuel sending unit gasket at what I feel is the best source for parts (Vintage Power Wagons.. Steve there is a wealth of knowledge and a real nice guy) They are relining my hand brake (Ya, I forgot to do that) so I will get the gasket when that comes back..

Hopefully, I will get the car fired up this weekend and make sure everything is working with the engine...

I really appreciate all the kind words on this thread and the helpful people... You guys are great!!

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kelsey

OK, little bit of an update.... The engine and tranny are installed.. al linkages are connected, and , yes, we even fired it up for a minute... It was great to hear it run again (and run much quieter than it did before)

I made the mistake of not getting my chroming done over the Winter... so, I am waiting on those pieces before I can install the radiator and front end pieces.. I also did not get my running boards dones over the winter (what was I thinking??).. so, Hunley Acuff, should have those back to me in the next 2 weeks..

Been at the the States Biggest Car show the last 2 days,.. seen some very impressive cars and trucks.. but no 37 Dodges.. I hope to change that next year....

There was a guy there with a 37 Buick Business Coupe that was completely restored to original.. It was beautiful..We spoke for about an hour about his car and my car.. a few others joined in. I got some really good advice on polishing my trim pieces from one guy... The Buick owner said that he scored 395/400 on the Buick register.. It was nice to see a classic not "hot rodded" out..

Which reminds me, he had interior done my LeBaron Bonney and it was awesome. I checked their site and they show very little for the Dodge.. I plan on speaking with them this week to discuss some interior options.. I had never heard of them.. but , apparently, these guys are a major player in the restoration biz.. Nice to have another source for restoration parts..

Which reminds me.. this Buick owner had all the original stickers/decals that go on the engine and accompanying parts.. It looked very nice and really made the "originality" of the car stand out.. Is there a source for the Dodge engine decals? I would really like to get those decals..

I also forgot, that I am missing 1 VERY SMALL trim piece on my car.. It is the the front windshield piece that is about 1 " long and mount horizonatlly to cover where the 2 front windshield frames connect.. I have 1 side but am missing the other.. Would ANYBODY have an extra one of these?? I suspect the Plymouth would be the same and that it is not 37 specific?? So, any help on finding that piece would be great!

I will try and get some more pics up soon..

Guest 1930

I do not think you will find all the decals in one place but if you have photos and size they are cheap to have made up at any banners/sign store.

Guest Kelsey
I do not think you will find all the decals in one place but if you have photos and size they are cheap to have made up at any banners/sign store.

Ya, I really do not know what came on them from the factory..I know that it really "made" the engine compartment of the Buick we saw at the show..

Guest Kelsey

Oh.. I did run into a couple of other "snags" that , hopefully, one you guys can help me with.

1)Starter (foot acutated).. with a new draft seal in place and the new pad on the starting rod, the pad will contact the draft seal and not allow the starter switch to fully engage.. So, I need to extend the rod about 1.5" to make this work.. Anybody seen this before?

2)The water drains for the cowl vent and front window channel.. I can not see how they can drain anywhere but into the side of thebody (infront of each door) BUT... there is not drain hole in this part of the body (or anywhere else for that matter) so, any drainage would be into a closed off area.. So, did the body shop plug these holes? OR do they actually need to be routed to another part of the body??

Anybody have any ideas on these?

Thanks

I think there should be a drain hole and elbow located in the corner of the cowl vent. A hose runs from the elbow and exits through one of holes in one of the grommets on the firewall. There are no drains for the front window channels. Water runs down into the doors and out weep holes in the door bottoms. No outer belt weatherstrip was yet used on the outer door window openings. Because of this ,I sealed all the seams and open spaces in the doors with seam sealer and drilled a couple of new weep holes.

Guest Kelsey
Nice job. How did the water tube work out? Can u take good pictures of the horn bracket assembly? Thanks, Dave

I Pulled the distribution tube and ran water thru the entire block until the inflow matched the outflow.. The tube was perfect so I re-installed it (after I wire-wheeled all of it)

Horn bracket assembly?? I will be glad to take any pics you wish.. but I am not sure what you mean by this??

Does anybody have any leads on the little missing windshield frame trim piece I can not find?

You're speaking of the piece about 1 in. long that covers the miter between the top and bottom windshield frames right? I have 1 left from a '36 but I'm not sure it will fit a '37 windshield. Can you post a photo of the frame or of the other part you have.