1937 Dodge D5 questions (with some '41 questions also)

Guest Kelsey

Guest Kelsey
Re oil pressure. At least on my car the manual calls for a specified pressure at 30 MPH. Assuming your Dodge 230 engine has the same specifications for that as a Plymouth 201, the book calls for between 30 and 45 psi at 30 MPH. What is your pressure at those speeds? If the pressure does not drop when you go to idle but is okay at speed then there is nothing to worry about. Dropping at idle, depending on how much, might be an issue but the filmstrip covered that and your pressure can be quite low at idle and still be good.

re dripping from the road draft tube. That is the exit for the crankcase ventilation system. As you drive air flowing under the car causes a slight vacuum at that tube (Venturi effect). That causes air to be drawn in through the oil filler cap. An oiled mesh in the filler cap filters out dirt from the air going into the engine. Combustion byproducts (blow by) and the air drawn into the engine exit through the road draft tube. If you have excessive blow by some could be condensing on the tube and dripping later. But that tube connects at the back of the valve tappet gallery and if the drain holes from that gallery back to the pan are clogged oil could also spill into the draft tube. If that is happening, then I'd expect it to be more than a few drops.

Thanks.. that is some great information.. The engine is all new and professionally dome, so al the oil galleys should be clear...

I suspect the drop is from the rings not being seated yet and having some blow-by.. Does that sound reasonable ??

Again, thanks for the help

• 2 months later...
Thanks Guys appreciate all the kind words.. I just figured if I was going to spend the $$ and dedicate this car to my Grandma, I prefer to have it looking like I want it to look vs the engineer at Dodge during the Depression ERA..

Just myself and my 16 year old son have been doing all the work except the paint work and interior.. all disassembly and re-assembly has been done by us in my garage, on our backs..

Ian, the Data tags are OK, they are VERY THIN... If you decide to make some red ones.. maybe consider 1 higher grade in thickness on the plate that requires stamping (just an idea). I wouls still be interested in one if it were thicker.. so let me know if you ever get around to making the red ones..

Still interested in all the comments.. good or bad..

I wanted to keep the car looking OLD and correct for time era. without using the itchy mo-hair and plain dull browns that were stock.. The stock colors are fine, but the car is very "dark" in stock form...IMO...

Do you guys think it looks "old"

Hi Kelsey,

Finally go the guys to come up with a new plate. Have a look at the photo and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143142625928_thumb.jpg

Guest Kelsey
Hi Kelsey,

Finally go the guys to come up with a new plate. Have a look at the photo and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Ian

Ian.. Plate looks great!!.. Nice work!! I only wish it was ready when I needed mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kelsey

OK, I am having some problems finding some GOOD hook style wiper arms.. The ones I have bought hav ebeen junk.. they won't stay on and are just cheaply made

So, I am asking for advice on some good wiper arms.. What have you guys found to work well and stay on the motor shaft?

I found these http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=V-8&Category=Wiper-%20Arm Part # 06300-C but think they may be the same as what I have already tried.

Also found these which look better than what I have now http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271104441296?lpid=82

the style I have now, different manufacturer is shown here http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-36-STAINLESS-STEEL-WIPER-ARM-BLADE-KIT/280762403064?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24189%26meid%3D8694686084422555007%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10283%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271104441296&rt=nc

Please advise

Edited by Kelsey (see edit history)

The style arm in your last hot link (showing the "Vintique" after market style arm) is the most correct version for the car (at least for the '36). The other two styles are too "new". (But again, I am not absolutely sure for the '37). That is probably why the others don't fit very well.

The arms and blades are originally "Trico" products, just like the wiper motors. The only thing is that the ones you show in the last eBay link are too short as far as I know. The arms and blades should be a bit longer than 8", again - at least on the '36.

The other thing I also noticed on the "Vintique" arm is that the bend on the end that attaches to the wiper motor shaft must be at 90 degrees and the photo of the arm in the ad seems like it is not bent to the full 90 degrees. That also could cause a fitment issue.

When you are clipping this "Trico" style arm on the wiper motor shaft, are you getting the rotating "C" shaped retainer clip in the cover fully engaged in the groove of the wiper motor shaft? Try pulling out on the arm after setting this "C" retainer clip to make sure it is staying in the groove in the shaft.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest Kelsey
The style arm in your last hot link (showing the "Vintique" after market style arm) is the most correct version for the car (at least for the '36). The other two styles are too "new". (But again, I am not absolutely sure for the '37). That is probably why the others don't fit very well.

The arms and blades are originally "Trico" products, just like the wiper motors. The only thing is that the ones you show in the last eBay link are too short as far as I know. The arms and blades should be a bit longer than 8", again - at least on the '36.

The other thing I also noticed on the "Vintique" arm is that the bend on the end that attaches to the wiper motor shaft must be at 90 degrees and the photo of the arm in the ad seems like it is not bent to the full 90 degrees. That also could cause a fitment issue.

When you are clipping this "Trico" style arm on the wiper motor shaft, are you getting the rotating "C" shaped retainer clip in the cover fully engaged in the groove of the wiper motor shaft? Try pulling out on the arm after setting this "C" retainer clip to make sure it is staying in the groove in the shaft.

Yes, the last hot link is what is correct but that c shaped retainer is where the problem is.. it likes to come loose and pop off.. I spoke to the Wiperman.com and he tells me Bob Drake 35-36 Model A arm is heavier duty but he say that they are about 9" long and I think I need closer to 7.5-8.5" length..

So, anybody have any experience with the Bob Drake arms?

Guest Kelsey

OK drake does notmake them for my style.. so the only option is the Vintique (which I think is what I have) So, since I have to order Ford Model A wipers what would the correct length be for a 37? anybody know?

Guest Kelsey

OK found out that the Vintique 17529 Arms are the only one aftermarket available and many are having issues with them.. Spoke with a knowledgeable person at CW MOSS antique parts and he told me that they are a problem piece . They have an updated version that actually clamps to the wiper motor but does not have the correct look (for the year) but WILL stay on and not fly off and scratch your paint...:(

So, I am going to try them and see if they look OK.. They are cheap enough...$13.00 per side with blade... I also ordered another of the correct for the year ones and I will see about modifying them to be better.. we'll see...

I wonder if the original Tricos were any better or if it is just the design that is poor?

Anybody have any thoughts?

<snip>

I wonder if the original Tricos were any better or if it is just the design that is poor?

Anybody have any thoughts?

The wiper arm and blade on my '33 Plymouth look like the one you posted at the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-36-STAINLESS-STEEL-WIPER-ARM-BLADE-KIT/280762403064?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24189%26meid%3D8694686084422555007%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10283%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271104441296&rt=nc

No brand showing on mine but since I've had the car for 40 years I would guess they were made by Trico. My only experience is this one car with about 70,000 miles of driving. But I've never had an issue with the wiper blade or arm coming off, though I did have a strong cross wind gust once that made me think it could be possible. Biggest issue is keeping the lubricant in the wiper motor from drying out and reducing speed and strength of the wiping action.

Guest Kelsey

OK got the new arms.. the clamp style are not going to come off, for sure.... they still look good and close to era correct.. I will leave them on for now and see how it goes.. the era correct (hook style) arms are just so cheap!! They have already flown off and scratched the roof .. so I will have a set of those on hand if somebody wants to get technical with the car.. but the others looks great!

Thanks for all the info and advice!

The biggest problem I have personally observed with attaching the original style Tricos is that people miss the groove for the "C" ring to slide into. It sometimes seems as though the arm is installed properly but without the "C" ring being fully in the groove, and there being enough spring pressure pulling on the arm to hold it there, they may pop off at any time.

You have to pull out on the arm after installation to make sure the "C" ring is fully in the groove on the wiper motor shaft end fitting.

The last time I had one come off my '36 was just three weeks ago on my way home from the Iola, WI Old Car Show in a big cross wind. But the problem with that attachment was that the brass fitting on the end of the wiper motor shaft had cracked longitudinally and was not tight on the shaft. The cross wind was too much of a strain on the cracked part and the wiper and the fitting flew off. By the time I went back around to pick it up a dump truck had run it over! (I am also in the market for a new wiper arm!)

Guest Kelsey
The biggest problem I have personally observed with attaching the original style Tricos is that people miss the groove for the "C" ring to slide into. It sometimes seems as though the arm is installed properly but without the "C" ring being fully in the groove, and there being enough spring pressure pulling on the arm to hold it there, they may pop off at any time.

You have to pull out on the arm after installation to make sure the "C" ring is fully in the groove on the wiper motor shaft end fitting.

The last time I had one come off my '36 was just three weeks ago on my way home from the Iola, WI Old Car Show in a big cross wind. But the problem with that attachment was that the brass fitting on the end of the wiper motor shaft had cracked longitudinally and was not tight on the shaft. The cross wind was too much of a strain on the cracked part and the wiper and the fitting flew off. By the time I went back around to pick it up a dump truck had run it over! (I am also in the market for a new wiper arm!)

YUP similar story with mine.. LOL..

In any case, the only option outside of finding NOS is these Vintque arms.. Sold by CW moss.. I feel I did a very thorough investigation of what's out there and they are the only game in town.. ALL other antique shops sell the Vintque just packaged under another name.. and I think they are very cheaply made arm My .02

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kelsey

Had the first official (judging by class) car show a few weeks back.. The car won Best "Restored Original" Pretty haappy about that.. There was some really nice cars at the show..

Here are a few pics from the show.. The car really gets a lot of attention!

post-30646-143142691698_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142691703_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142691708_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142691712_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142691716_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14314269172_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142691725_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142691729_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143142691734_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the largest show in the state.... Was a great turn out well over 1000 cars.

Turns out, I am not the only one that thinks the 37 Dodge is a Kool car.. Won the class against a lot of competition..

It is nice to know that others respect the hard work and dedication that goes into restoring one of these cars..Also nice to have validation that the car is a rare car and people enjoy seeing it and that is is not just me trying to be impartial.

Edited by Kelsey (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest Kelsey

Hi Guys... Been a while since I visited this site..

I have been considering having the car placed in a Museum.. It is simply not getting used here and the car shows are not really exciting me anymore..

Would you guys know of any GOOD museums that may be interested in displaying my car? 

I do not want to give them the car.. just have it on display for other car enthusiasts (like me) to enjoy.

I never get tired of car museums.. I can stay in there all day and just soak in all the history.

Anyway.. please let me know if you have any ideas on how to make this happen.. ALSO, please let me know if you think it is a bad idea!

Thanks