1937 Dodge D5 questions (with some '41 questions also)

Guest Kelsey

Guest Kelsey

Hello

I have my Grandmother's only car she ever owned. It is a 1937 Dodge D5 Business Coupe. My father hopped trains to Detroit in 1937 and watched them build it (I guess you could do that back then?) and then drove it back and gave it to his Mother..

I only have a faint recollection of the stories associated with this car.

It has only 37,000 miles on it and has been WELL taken care of (always stored ina garage).. NO RUST and runs (ran.. I have since disassembled it) great

OK, My father told me that Grandma would not shift... So she toasted the engine in 1941 or so.. He replaced it with an engine from a '41 D19. I know that the fuel pump is different from the 37 engine because I had to replace it and the 37's arm would not actuate..

So, I drove this car (very seldom) in the last 20 years I have had it.

Now, with my son, we have a great father/son project to finish.

Last week, we replaced the king pins inthe front end and got started on this restoration... Very fun to work with my son on this (he is 15)

So, then we decided to pull off all the fenders, running boards,front end and engine and tranny.. We have the wire-wheel going overtime!!!

I could use some help.. Since ALL I really know for sure is that the engine is a D19.. I now, need some info on the tranny and flywheel area since I am not sure if this is still '37 or not..

Here are some numbers. I can not find any literature on decoding these.. So, hopefully, somebody on here has the knowledge?

Engine: D19-30219 (upper block near generator)

860229-7 (lower Block near oil pan)

Head: 636175-3

Tranny: 651358 (passenger side)

4-20 (driver's side)

Can anybody decode these for me?

Also, It has been several years since I actually drove this car.. I remember it being a 3 speed.. but the info I find has most listed as a 4 speed. With the tranny removed, it is hard to shift it since it is not mounted to the engine... It is a floor shift... Does the tranny number I listed above, tell you if it is a 3 or 4 speed? I need to get a gasket kit for it and not sure what I have?? HELP!

OK, the flywheel and clutch: I bought the Kit from Roberts Motor Sports years ago .. Since I have now removed the old clutch, I see that they are slightly different.. The clutch I removed has a much wider fiber area than the one I recieved from Roberts.. I will attach some pics showing this (pic #1)... Question is? Can I use the new parts and why are they different?

Next (also pic #5 and #6 attached).

Where so I find the clutch actuator arm grommet and the side bell housing grommet as well as, the little center grommet in the bell housing.

In pic #2, What is this" access point's" purpose? I have not removed the cover to view, just curious as to what it allows me to access/change?

Sorry for the long post..

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Kelsey

post-30646-143138984085_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143138984091_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143138984097_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143138984102_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143138984106_thumb.jpg

post-30646-14313898411_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kelsey (see edit history)

Hello

I have my Grandmother's only car she ever owned. It is a 1937 Dodge D5 Business Coupe. My father hopped trains to Detroit in 1937 and watched them build it (I guess you could do that back then?) and then drove it back and gave it to his Mother..

I only have a faint recollection of the stories associated with this car.

It has only 37,000 miles on it and has been WELL taken care of (always stored ina garage).. NO RUST and runs (ran.. I have since disassembled it) great

OK, My father told me that Grandma would not shift... So she toasted the engine in 1941 or so.. He replaced it with an engine from a '41 D19. I know that the fuel pump is different from the 37 engine because I had to replace it and the 37's arm would not actuate..

So, I drove this car (very seldom) in the last 20 years I have had it.

Now, with my son, we have a great father/son project to finish.

Last week, we replaced the king pins inthe front end and got started on this restoration... Very fun to work with my son on this (he is 15)

So, then we decided to pull off all the fenders, running boards,front end and engine and tranny.. We have the wire-wheel going overtime!!!

I could use some help.. Since ALL I really know for sure is that the engine is a D19.. I now, need some info on the tranny and flywheel area since I am not sure if this is still '37 or not..

Here are some numbers. I can not find any literature on decoding these.. So, hopefully, somebody on here has the knowledge?

Engine: D19-30219 (upper block near generator)

860229-7 (lower Block near oil pan)

Head: 636175-3

Tranny: 651358 (passenger side)

4-20 (driver's side)

Can anybody decode these for me?

Also, It has been several years since I actually drove this car.. I remember it being a 3 speed.. but the info I find has most listed as a 4 speed. With the tranny removed, it is hard to shift it since it is not mounted to the engine... It is a floor shift... Does the tranny number I listed above, tell you if it is a 3 or 4 speed? I need to get a gasket kit for it and not sure what I have?? HELP!

OK, the flywheel and clutch: I bought the Kit from Roberts Motor Sports years ago .. Since I have now removed the old clutch, I see that they are slightly different.. The clutch I removed has a much wider fiber area than the one I recieved from Roberts.. I will attach some pics showing this (pic #1)... Question is? Can I use the new parts and why are they different?

Next (also pic #5 and #6 attached).

Where so I find the clutch actuator arm grommet and the side bell housing grommet as well as, the little center grommet in the bell housing.

In pic #2, What is this" access point's" purpose? I have not removed the cover to view, just curious as to what it allows me to access/change?

Sorry for the long post..

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Kelsey

The D19-30219 is the engine serial number. The "D19" means it is a 1941, just as "D5" is 1937. And it is the 29,219th D19 engine built.

The "860229-7" is the block casting number while the head casting number is 63675-3.

Similarly, the transmission case casting number is 651358 while 4-20 might the month and day the case was cast.

The transmission is a 3-speed. No 4-speed transmissions in North American-built cars ack then. Floor shifters were used until around 1939 when column shift was introduced. 4-speed transmissions were used in larger Dodge Trucks.

The neatest thing about Chrysler Corporation cars from about 1935 through to the end of the 1950's is that engine swapping was quite easy. A 1941 Dodge engine would fit into a 1937 Dodge no trouble. The clutch and transmission of 1937 Dodge would bolt right up to a 1941 engine and the whole unit would drop it with no problems.

The access if photo #2 is the access to the oil pump. The shaft to the oil pump is an extension from the distributor, which actually fits into the top of the shaft.

Guest 1930
The D19-30219 is the engine serial number. The "D19" means it is a 1941, just as "D5" is 1937. And it is the 29,219th D19 engine built.

The "860229-7" is the block casting number while the head casting number is 63675-3.

Similarly, the transmission case casting number is 651358 while 4-20 might the month and day the case was cast.

The transmission is a 3-speed. No 4-speed transmissions in North American-built cars ack then. Floor shifters were used until around 1939 when column shift was introduced. 4-speed transmissions were used in larger Dodge Trucks.

The neatest thing about Chrysler Corporation cars from about 1935 through to the end of the 1950's is that engine swapping was quite easy. A 1941 Dodge engine would fit into a 1937 Dodge no trouble. The clutch and transmission of 1937 Dodge would bolt right up to a 1941 engine and the whole unit would drop it with no problems.

The access if photo #2 is the access to the oil pump. The shaft to the oil pump is an extension from the distributor, which actually fits into the top of the shaft.

Not sure when they were introduced but Dodge ( late 27 early 28 comes to mind ) did use a 4 spd trans in some of their cars in the late 20s early thirties and I am sure beyond that.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I believe it was the Senior if memory serves me

Just verified it was actually the 1929/1930 Model Senior that was offered with the 4 spd

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest Kelsey

Great,, thanks for the info

Any ideas on why the differences in the clutch and pressure plates? Will the new one I have work fine on the existing flywheel??

Also, Any HP differences between the 41 engine and the 37 engine? are they the same size as well?

Thanks again

Kelsey,

Ref: the photos... #1 - If the splines are the same and the unit thickness & bolt pattern of the pressure plate are the same, those clutch parts should work. But I would think there will be a significant difference in the "feel" of the clutch from the original. Many years ago I was sent clutch parts from a NAPA store. I was told they were actually for some kind of fork lift application. They were supposed to be the same as my '36 Dodge clutch. I found the spring pressure was a bit different (stiffer) but otherwise the clutch seemed to work the same. Your setup from Roberts MAY be an OK fit but MAY feel "different". Did you check into having the pressure plate and fly wheel resurfaced at some machine shop near you? Then you would just have to find the wider clutch plate if the surface on the one you have is bad.

#2 - Yup, if you are speaking of the hexagonal cover left (rearward) of the fuel pump, it is the cover on the oil pump.

#3 - Yup, looks like the standard 3 speed transmission from those years. I do not have specifics on the casting number for the '37 model year but it looks very much like my '36 transmission.

#4 - Is there a tooth broken out of the ring gear on the flywheel at about the 10 o'clock position in your photo? Not sure if that's a grease gob or a missing tooth. If broken, I am pretty sure you can get a ring gear yet. May take a bit of searching though.

#5 & 6 - I take it you mean the leather cover on the clutch throw out bearing fork... You may be able to find this as a used part or make one from a fresh piece of leather. Would not be too tough to do. You have enough for a pattern. The vent covers in the bell housing again, can be found as a used piece yet. A good sheet metal worker may be able to open them up a bit and replace the screen with an appropriate wire cloth for you also.

If the transmission casting number is 651858 on your transmission, then that casting is the same number as a '36 casting, which would make me think the transmission from your car is the original '37 transmission verses a '41 transmission. Your clutch fork looks a bit different than a '36 fork so I can't help you there much.

I would hope another '37 owner ("backyardmechanic", you out there?) viewing this post would be able to chime in here and give you some more specific data for your car. If you happen to be a member of the "Dodge Brothers Club" remember there is a new '37 Dodge Tech Advisor available and waiting for your questions. If you are not a "DBC" member yet, get to it! There is a bunch of info out there just waiting for you!

Join / Renew | Dodge Brothers Club :)

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest Kelsey
Kelsey,

Ref: the photos... #1 - If the splines are the same and the unit thickness & bolt pattern of the pressure plate are the same, those clutch parts should work. But I would think there will be a significant difference in the "feel" of the clutch from the original. Many years ago I was sent clutch parts from a NAPA store. I was told they were actually for some kind of fork lift application. They were supposed to be the same as my '36 Dodge clutch. I found the spring pressure was a bit different (stiffer) but otherwise the clutch seemed to work the same. Your setup from Roberts MAY be an OK fit but MAY feel "different". Did you check into having the pressure plate and fly wheel resurfaced at some machine shop near you? Then you would just have to find the wider clutch plate if the surface on the one you have is bad.

#2 - Yup, if you are speaking of the hexagonal cover left (rearward) of the fuel pump, it is the cover on the oil pump.

#3 - Yup, looks like the standard 3 speed transmission from those years. I do not have specifics on the casting number for the '37 model year but it looks very much like my '36 transmission.

#4 - Is there a tooth broken out of the ring gear on the flywheel at about the 10 o'clock position in your photo? Not sure if that's a grease gob or a missing tooth. If broken, I am pretty sure you can get a ring gear yet. May take a bit of searching though.

#5 & 6 - I take it you mean the leather cover on the clutch throw out bearing fork... You may be able to find this as a used part or make one from a fresh piece of leather. Would not be too tough to do. You have enough for a pattern. The vent covers in the bell housing again, can be found as a used piece yet. A good sheet metal worker may be able to open them up a bit and replace the screen with an appropriate wire cloth for you also.

If the transmission casting number is 651858 on your transmission, then that casting is the same number as a '36 casting, which would make me think the transmission from your car is the original '37 transmission verses a '41 transmission. Your clutch fork looks a bit different than a '36 fork so I can't help you there much.

I would hope another '37 owner ("backyardmechanic", you out there?) viewing this post would be able to chime in here and give you some more specific data for your car. If you happen to be a member of the "Dodge Brothers Club" remember there is a new '37 Dodge Tech Advisor available and waiting for your questions. If you are not a "DBC" member yet, get to it! There is a bunch of info out there just waiting for you!

Join / Renew | Dodge Brothers Club :)

Thanks for the info... Great to have this kind of information.

I just tried to join the club(using your link"join" and it sends me to a login screen with no "register" option.

Ay idea how to register and join?

Guest Kelsey

My tranny is a "3" and not an "8"

On this photo below, any ideas on the plug circled? I can not seem to find one or even know how to identify it (nomencalture?)

post-30646-143138984749_thumb.jpg

Interesting on the transmission casting number!

The round plug indicated is probably not a '36 part. I don't think I could help you there.

The other screened rectangle part is a "clutch housing ventilator hole screen". There are two different ones of these depending on if the car is right hand drive or left hand drive.

Neither of these seal or vent parts is on the diagram picture of the clutch parts. I am taking my best guess on the name through a process of elimination in the parts list. Maybe "1930" may have a better listing in his large stash of documentation for '37 Dodge. :o

I have heard other people have had trouble with doing the on-line registration for the "DBC" also. :eek: You may have to mail in the registration info and fee. They just rebuilt their website and there still must be some hiccups with that process. It's an inconvenience but well worth the time to get it in via mail! ;)

Geez I wish I could be more help for you. :(

After another look that round plug looks like it may have been there to help make removal of the clutch pressure plate easier or for clutch alignment/adjustment. Pretty sure that hole was not there on the '36. Again, I don't know about the '37. So maybe that IS a '41 bell housing? Hmmm...

...I just tried to join the club(using your link"join" and it sends me to a login screen with no "register" option. Any idea how to register and join?

I just checked the site again. It looks like you need to "Register" on the site to get a Login Name & password before you can get to the application process. Seems a bit backward but that is all part of the approval and site security process I guess. Maybe try that first. "You need to email the webmaster to have a new account created."

:rolleyes:

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest 1930
Interesting on the transmission casting number!

The round plug indicated is probably not a '36 part. I don't think I could help you there.

The other screened rectangle part is a "clutch housing ventilator hole screen". There are two different ones of these depending on if the car is right hand drive or left hand drive.

Neither of these seal or vent parts is on the diagram picture of the clutch parts. I am taking my best guess on the name through a process of elimination in the parts list. Maybe "1930" may have a better listing in his large stash of documentation for '37 Dodge. :o

I have heard other people have had trouble with doing the on-line registration for the "DBC" also. :eek: You may have to mail in the registration info and fee. They just rebuilt their website and there still must be some hiccups with that process. It's an inconvenience but well worth the time to get it in via mail! ;)

Geez I wish I could be more help for you. :(

37 and 38 used the same housing, I think I may have a service manual/parts manual for 39 but did not even look for it due to time constraints.

I have realitively nothing after that as I have used the 38 model year as my cut-off for early D.B literature.

I would guess that the plug is an inspection hole of some type but may be able to verify this with some time and if you were to ask.

BTW if the ring gear is missing teeth than it can be rotated as the original location of the ring gear only has 3 initial contact points with starter that seem to get boogered up

post-48869-14313898489_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

BTW Id like to also add and welcome comments to the picture clarity of manuals post 1935 or so, prior to that in my opinion the pictures within literature were very poor but it seems that it was during this later time frame that there must have been some major advancement to photographic hardware to be able to produce pictures of this high quality, any idea what that was, maybe Phil, Bob or D-2, you three seem to have the most experience with this sort of thing.

Might just start a new thread.

Welcome, The bell housing looks identical to my '36 and mine does have the hole at the top. I suppose ,like 1936D2 ,that it is an access hole to remove the pressure plate bolts. I also would assume that you could use any type of rubber plug that will fit the hole. Restoration Specialties has a large asst. of that type plug.(814-467-9842)EAST. I might have an extra vent screen lying around(if I can find it) if you're interested,as for the clutch arm leather,I had an upolsterer make me a new one from the old pattern. This part is usually riveted to the arm! Also the upper access covers in pic. 2 under the manifold are to the valve chamber so you can adjust the tappets. I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you should find as much literature as possible pertaining to your car. Look for the Dodge Master Maintenance book for 1937 and pick up a copy of the Motor's Auto Repair Manual(dark blue cover,'35-'49). These books give specific directions and specifications for all mechanical maintenance o your vehicle. These are a must! Have fun with your restoration!

Guest Kelsey
Kelsey ,I've located a good screen and if you're interested give me a call at 814-322-4481 or 814-341-2461 east. Jim

Jim

Thanks

I am interested in a screen. I will try and call later

Guest Kelsey

Here is another dilemma I have found..

It appears that my steering column to Toe Board/Firewall does not even resemble what is pictured in Steeler or Burnbaums when looking up this part.

Any idea why mine is so different?? I will attach a pic

post-30646-143138986094_thumb.jpg

Kelsey: I finally got a chance to feel around on my '36 and I see that it does indeed have the plug at the top of the bell housing just like yours. I just do not have a photo of that. The reference photo that "1930" posted earlier (with the adjustment gauge in the shot) shows the plug nicely. That may help when you are calling around for a replacement part.

The above steering column firewall seal is totally unfamiliar to this '36 owner. Not at all like the '36's setup. I do wish one of the '37 owners would check out this thread and get you some accurate data.

Guest Kelsey

Thought I would post up a pic.. This it is a few years ago.. As of today, it is copletely disassembled..

The boy and I have been working 10 hours every day on it.. It is going to be awesome when we finish it..

Thanks for all the help

post-30646-143138986161_thumb.jpg

post-30646-143138986164_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930
Here is another dilemma I have found..

It appears that my steering column to Toe Board/Firewall does not even resemble what is pictured in Steeler or Burnbaums when looking up this part.

Any idea why mine is so different?? I will attach a pic

That draft plate is correct for at least 37 -38 according to my diagram, do you still have the original floorboards? How about a tool tray, any of the original tools that came with the car, sent you a P.M with a list of what these would be and am awaiting some response. Thanks

Guest 1930
Pretty decent shape! Man that's a big trunk! Looks like you are gonna need some wheels though! Thanks for the shots!

Look like maybe trailer wheels?

Guest Kelsey

LOL on the wheels.. I have the original wheels and I think the original (brunswick) tires.. I did not feel safe with the tires when I was driving the car, so I bought the wheels and tires shown simply to drive around...

The original wheels with some Cokers will go back on it...

1930: Yes, all orig floorboards and SOME of the original tools as well... I'll check you PM..Thanks

Guest Kelsey

OK, here is a dumb question..

I removed my tie rod (1 long tie rod no inner and outer.. just 1 long rod)

Of course, 1 end is LHT and 1 is RHT..(normal). I marked which side was which.. and the driver's side (left) has the RHT and the passenger has the LHT... this seems reversed to me..

Was this on backwards? or correct?

Also, any preferences on repro auto glass? There are several out there.. any one to stay away from? or recommendations for the best glass?

Thanks

Kelsey

Guest Kelsey

Also, I seem to have lost one of my Steering Knuckle stop screws.. It is a simple thread pitch but I would like to keep it original..

None of the aftermarket seem to list this.. Does anybody have one of these?

I really need a list of all these parts with DODGE part numbers.. Is there any such publication that has a parts break down with part numbers? I have a streamliner list but it does not have ALL the part numbers

Guest 1930
Also, I seem to have lost one of my Steering Knuckle stop screws.. It is a simple thread pitch but I would like to keep it original..

None of the aftermarket seem to list this.. Does anybody have one of these?

I really need a list of all these parts with DODGE part numbers.. Is there any such publication that has a parts break down with part numbers? I have a streamliner list but it does not have ALL the part numbers

Kelsey, you need to find the model specific parts book for your Dodge, they pop up on e-bay every now and again, I can show you what it looks like if need be

I've had pretty good luck finding many different manuals over time at this site, Faxon | Shop Manuals for Car & Truck Owners | DIY Service, Repair or Maintenance both originals and reprints. You really only need a reprint to get the info you are asking for, or possibly even a PDF copy on a CD.

There is also a standard nuts and bolts (fasteners) catalog out there for Dodge that I have seen. Maybe that is what you are looking for in this case???

Guest 1930
There is also a standard nuts and bolts (fasteners) catalog out there for Dodge that I have seen. Maybe that is what you are looking for in this case???

Yes I have a copy of this and there were several different versions avail. try to find the one published as close to your car as possible

The more I think about it the more I think mine was published by Chrysler Corp but I have also seen other copies published by outsides sources, I would stick with the Chrysler version

Guest Kelsey

Thanks for the info..

Just found out another interesting tid-bit... I received all my rubber grommets today from Roberts Motor Parts and immediately checked them out to see if they weere correct..

Come to find out.. The front bumper mounts (that rivet to the frame) on my 37 are actually 1936 mounts.. You can tell that they are the original rivets and came with the car but they are , in fact, 36 not 37 and, of course, the bumper grommets are completely different between the years..

So, apparently, the assembly line grabbed the wrong year mounts and grommets..(best guess) funny, anybody ever hear of this happening before?

Also, the bolt that I need is the knuckle stop bolt that threads into the knuckle. not an odd thread but an odd head... i can not find a part number for it in my parts book but it does have picture of it.. So, I will contunue looking for it in case it is still available.. if not, I will just get a normal headed bolt to replace it with...

Kelsey,It's my recommendation that you get glass cut by a local glass shop from your patterns.It will probably be cheaper! I can give you a stop screw from my '36,I think that they might be the same if you have a tube axle!

Guest Kelsey
Kelsey,It's my recommendation that you get glass cut by a local glass shop from your patterns.It will probably be cheaper! I can give you a stop screw from my '36,I think that they might be the same if you have a tube axle!

Good idea.. I guess , being flat glass and all, it is not too diffucult to have th elocals do it.. Great idea.. thanks

As for the stop screw.. Yes, same tube axle and the 36 should be the same.. If you have an extra, I will be more than happy to buy it from you since I am not having any luck finding it.. Let me know

Also, 3 of my 4 leaf springs have nice metal covers that wrap the springs.. one is missing the cover.. any idea where to locate this cover?

Thanks gain, this site is a great source.. sorry if I sound stupid.. but all my previous restorations were on newer cars and GM cars that have much more info and sources than the Chrylser.. I'll get there, please bare with me

Guest 1930

Quote..........Come to find out.. The front bumper mounts (that rivet to the frame) on my 37 are actually 1936 mounts.. You can tell that they are the original rivets and came with the car but they are , in fact, 36 not 37 and, of course, the bumper grommets are completely different between the years..

So, apparently, the assembly line grabbed the wrong year mounts and grommets..(best guess) funny, anybody ever hear of this happening before?.............Most often this comes down to production date. Carryovers are common though

Guest 1930

Quote.........Thanks gain, this site is a great source.. sorry if I sound stupid.. but all my previous restorations were on newer cars and GM cars that have much more info and sources than the Chrylser.. I'll get there, please bare with me ............

This is what this site ia all about ( besides Hot Rod bashing ) and we all enjoy the questions.

Yes I have a copy of this and there were several different versions avail. try to find the one published as close to your car as possible

The more I think about it the more I think mine was published by Chrysler Corp but I have also seen other copies published by outsides sources, I would stick with the Chrysler version

On the Plymouth side, you'd be looking at Group 18 "Standard Parts" in the 28-33 master parts list. But they dropped that from the general parts lists later and issued it as a separate document. Seems like the grouping of parts from one to the next is slightly different with, of course, the later ones having more parts listed than the early ones.

I've got a fair amount of the content, but by no means all of it or maybe even half of it, in my parts database. If you have a part number for a fastener that you'd like to know more about you might get lucky looking it up in the database. Give it a try at least. And if it is not there, let me know the part you are looking for and, if it is in my paper copies, I'll add it and the section its in into the database for the next person. Plymouth Replacement Parts: Search

Guest 1930
On the Plymouth side, you'd be looking at Group 18 "Standard Parts" in the 28-33 master parts list. But they dropped that from the general parts lists later and issued it as a separate document. Seems like the grouping of parts from one to the next is slightly different with, of course, the later ones having more parts listed than the early ones.

I've got a fair amount of the content, but by no means all of it or maybe even half of it, in my parts database. If you have a part number for a fastener that you'd like to know more about you might get lucky looking it up in the database. Give it a try at least. And if it is not there, let me know the part you are looking for and, if it is in my paper copies, I'll add it and the section its in into the database for the next person. Plymouth Replacement Parts: Search

Thats a better explanation, Id forgotten about that, now that I think about it I think I have a binder near by with group 18 parts different years. models. These lists can be a real time saver as they let you see what other models used the same hardware which was very common.

Saved me a bunch of times