Need Wooden Spoke Repair Advice

72caddy

Finally got the Dodge out after a couple of years of being a 'hanger queen'. Drove it around quite a bit and then coming up the driveway I either popped the clutch or it slipped and grabbed. I hear a weird 'pop' an you can see the results in the photo.

Where should I send this for repair?

I'll do a search to see how to get the wheel off. I know I have seen previous posts on this over the years,

Have a good holiday and I appreciate any recommendations. I am in the deep south but willing to send the wheel to a proper place.

Richard

post-55762-14313898235_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930
I am not a full bottle on erly DBs (or any other for that matter) but shouldn't there be a bolt through every 2nd spoke I can see holes in the brake drum Ron

Good eye

Guest johnhorace

If/when you find a shop to fix this one, may I recommend you have the remaining wheels inspected for similar effects of age, and refurbished if needed? Seems like a prudent course of action (to me at least).

Guest johnhorace

Googled and found Calimer's Wheel shop and Hansen Wheel. Looks like both offer complete service for wooden car wheels. Perhaps there are others, as well. Good luck!

Edited by johnhorace (see edit history)

I had a similar thought, but in the 1919 part book the brake drums are not drilled out for a second row of bolts. The brake drum would appear to off a later model . Is it larger than an original 1919 drum? If it is it might explain why the spokes shattered.

post-47557-143138984873_thumb.jpg

Yes, I think this car is very much a 'bitsa'.

Right now I need to get a hub puller to get the wheel off. This is a full floating axle with no nut/cotter pin. Anyone have one they would loan/sell? By loan I would send you money to hold while I used it.

I also noticed the holes in the drum and saw no bolts. I can certainly add these if that is how it is supposed to be.

Mr. Lawson, how can you tell a front spoke from a rear spoke? Diameter?

post-55762-143138984928_thumb.jpg

post-55762-143138984958_thumb.jpg

Yes, I think this car is very much a 'bitsa'.

Right now I need to get a hub puller to get the wheel off. This is a full floating axle with no nut/cotter pin. Anyone have one they would loan/sell? By loan I would send you money to hold while I used it.

I also noticed the holes in the drum and saw no bolts. I can certainly add these if that is how it is supposed to be.

Mr. Lawson, how can you tell a front spoke from a rear spoke? Diameter?

DO NOT add bolts. Very often the same sized drum from later model cars were used as a replacement as they were identical except drilled for the spokes as later models used bolts. bob

• 1 month later...

Just a follow-up. Sent my wheel to Stutzman and just go the wheel back. About two weeks from sent to received. The workmanship and quality is hard to believe. The wood is so smooth, perfect seams, and the hub fits so percisely I am impressed. Many thanks for the recommendation.