55 Century 322 no spark

Guest tiver43809

Guest tiver43809

I just picked up a 55 century that has been sitting in a barn for the last 14 years. I changed out oil engine turns (a little slow) but I am not getting spark. I can put the coil wire by ground but no spark. If I put a light tester on the primary wire on the coil when I turn it over the light does flicker. Which I think means the points are opening and closing ok. I replaced the coil, took off and cleaned all the wires off the voltage regulator. (they were not rusty a little oxidized but not bad, i don't think I even had to do it) Any ideas?

Thank You

Terry in Freeport

Terry

Why was it parked in the first place? No spark?

Anyhow change the points and condenser or at least file the points since the contacts have oxidized. If no joy jump 12v to the coil...should be a yellow wire and not the black wire to the distributor. If trying to start it crank it with the plugs out and (some oil in the cylinders) until you develop oil pressure; then replace the plugs which you should have cleaned while out. Report back.

Guest tiver43809

I bought a new battery figuring the one that was in there was weak. Not sure why they were not driving it. I bought it off the son, it was his fathers car and he had passed. It had a partial restoration back in the 80's engine was rebuilt then. I will try both things and let you know what happens. He did say it was running when they put it in the barn.

Edited by tiver43809 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest tiver43809

We had a death in the family and I was JUST able to get back to the car. Thank you you guys are great. pulled the plugs shot some oil and wd40 and engine turns a bit faster. Installed new plugs dumped some gas in carb fires right up. woo hoo.

Now about the brakes.....................