Open disconnected glovebox on 88 reatta?

Guest MatthewOsh

Guest MatthewOsh

Hi all--

The glove box button on the console of my '88 Reatta was disconnected, so I haven't been able to open it.

The 89 FSM section on removing the glovebox door says "If battery has been disconnected, open glovebox door by inserting screwdriver through small access door under IP." There's a plastic cover (about 2-3" on each side) under the glovebox, but I didn't see anywhere to insert a screwdriver--maybe this is only on the 89?

I saw this picture of the locking solenoid on the forum, and if I position myself upside down in the passenger seat I can barely see it. I've tried prodding it with a coathanger to no avail--I can rotate what must be the bolt, but not move it, so I think it's locked when there's no power to it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Matthew

Guest MatthewOsh

Apparently, one of the wires was disconnected in the dashboard (this was before I owned it). To get back to reconnect it though, I have to open and remove the glovebox (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Thanks!

Guest MatthewOsh

I removed the black panel, but what am I looking for? I can barely see the solenoid, if that's what I need to get to?

Thanks again,

Matthew

Guest MatthewOsh

Got it. I had to use a long screwdriver to get to it, but it unlocked easily. From there it was easy to remove the glove box and reconnect the button.

Thank you so much for your help!

Matthew