1930 model a deluxe roadster convertible

Guest L Bailey

Guest L Bailey

I recently purchased a 1930 model a deluxe roadster convertible, it was about 90% restored. The previous owner took it apart and has sinced passed so I received a few boxes with pieces and the only issue I am having is with the windshield and all the attachments that go with it. I have been trying to find a step by step manual to reassemble it, but have not had much luck with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First we would need to know if it is a roadster or a convertible.

The convertible or cabriolet has a fixed windshield and roll up windows. The roadster has a fold down windshield and removable side curtains. It's one or the other, but it isn't a "roadster convertible"

L. Bailey,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? Perhaps there is a forum member, or an AACA Chapter or Region, or a local Model A Ford Club nearby. It would really be easier to compare what you have with an assembled car to see what parts you may need.

There are a number of Model A Ford restoration manuals available also. They are available from any of the Model A Ford parts vendors. Most Model A Ford vendors have catalogs that include good information and lots of diagrams.

One of my favorite vendors is Bratton's. Their website is

http://www.brattons.com/

In any case, as a Model A Ford owner, you are going to want to order a catalogue from a few of the vendors.

Guest L Bailey

It is a roadster, no side window and it has a convertible top to it. The windshield is fixed not a tilt. Thank you for any information you can give.

All Model "A's" have swing out windshields and all 1930 open cars have a folding windshield except the Cabriolet. You may want to check again to see what you really have! Might want to list a photo so we can see ! Windshields on Model a's are pretty simple if you have the correct parts. So many "A's" have been mutilated over the years it's had to know if you even have the correct parts for your car! Do you know for sure that it IS a Deluxe roadster and not just a spiffed up standard. The Deluxe windshield stanchions are a bit shorter than the standard,making the top a little lower too. Gives the car a mild racy look. That's the only real difference between the standard and Deluxe except some trim items like cowl lamps,trunk rack and side mount spare. Side note--there were never any dual sidemount cars built or delivered from the factory,the right sidemount was a dealer item and very rare! In fact sidemounts were an option on all but commercial vehicles, station wagons and the 1930 Deluxe cars!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Where in SC?

Here are the photo posting instructions:

Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing  before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Guest L Bailey

Okay, so it is a convertible roadster or open top. I purchased this car as you see it, so I haven't seen the windshield installed. Sorry for the confusion. So back to my original question any suggestions on diagrams for step by step instructions for getting it back together?

You are relatively close to the Hornets Nest Region. Hornets Nest is a large region. I suspect someone in that region would have a similar car that you could look at. You can find more information about the region at the following link:

Index home

I don't know if the Model A Parts books available from vendors still use the exploded picture with parts #'s, but that's where I began in the hobby.

I'm sure it was not intended as assembly instructions, but it can serve that purpose if you study it.

I noticed that the head light bar is incorrect ,there are no extra bends in an "A" bar.The lower stanchions are in place. You should have two chrome upright stanchions about 12 in long that fasten to the lower mounts with a bolt and chrome wing nut. There is a left and right.The windshield frame has a stud on each side near the top that fit onto socket holes in the upper stanchions. The frame is simply hung between the stanchions and secured with chrome wingnuts. There is a "t"type gasket that fits on both sides and bottom of the windshield frame to seal it. You have a roadster(not a convertable) and it's termed an "open car". You're missing the cowl lamps that would have come standard on the Deluxe and it should have a trunk rack which was also standard equip. on the Deluxe. Try to find an original lightbar!

Guest L Bailey

Thanks for all the information Jpage. I would not have known about the light bar, I do have the cowl lamps in my box of parts. This picture is when I purchased it.

I like what Paul Dobbin suggested and that is what I am looking for. If anyone has or knows of any parts books available with the exploded pictures that would be great.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions.