We're fortunate to have the AACA forums!

I just want to commend the mature and adult nature of the people here. You can have an opinon, idea, make a mistake or mis-speak without having some rogue toddler making themselves feel important. I posted an ad on another forum and the form did not require a price so I didn't post one. Then the ad was deleted for not posting a price! I voiced my opinon and suggested that they should correct the form to require this info or just ask to edit the ad rather than just deleting it.

Some coward (or the 3 yr old was playing with mommies computer) hides behind his keyboard and sent me the following private message (edited to be family friendly);

"Sand in your pu**y biggrin.gif That was hilarious. You are a moron. You complain when you obviously broke the forum rules for posting an ad.

Rules state post a price. Who gives a **** what the "form" says or isn't saying.

Familiarize yourself with the rules of the place you want to post and follow them.

Quite simple really, don't be an axx.

By the way any reply from you will be deleted before opening so don't waste your tme."

How ironic he demands I "don't be an axx" by showcasing himself as one and then breaks the very rules that he said I should familiarize myself with. He clearly did not understand the problem. It wasn't his concern nor his place to say anything. I am certain that here this would not happen nor be tolerated. The intolerance shown there for new ideas is amazing for a group that professes to be all about being individuals.

I may not agree with you, I may not like what you say, but I NEVER hide behind my keyboard like a coward. So thanks for being mature, understanding and intelligent here! Things like this just shine a light on the good people here and this kid at least serves as example of what not to be.

<!-- / message -->

Thanks John. On behalf of our moderators, I will say we all appreciate AACA forum members working with us to help keep this a family related site for EVERYONE to use.

By the way, I edited a couple of your words just to prove that I'm still paying attention, John.:)

Thanks everyone!

Wayne

John, you speak the truth sir!! This forum has directly resulted in a tremendous amount of knowedge, contacts, sales and purchases for me - and more importantly, the chance to meet a great group of folks with simillar interests.

I think one of the toughest things to do is moderate this sort of thing, especially the diplomacy and balance that comes into play at times. Also, a small thing, but I really like the fact that "off color" language, etc. is not tolorated. Peruse many other forums and you will be surprised at the routine use of innapropriate, offensive language and the tolorance for disrespecting someone who either disagrees or misunderstands something as John apparently did, or maybe he just did not read minds... ;). (BTW, if I was you I would forward that PM to whoever moderates that forum and ask them if that is acceptable behavier from its members.)

OUTSTANDING JOB, FOLKS!! :):)

I tried to post a question about whether or not I could list a truck for sale on another forum. They deleted my question and told me to ask a moderator. They instructed me on where to find a moderator. I could not find the area that they described. What a pain. This forum is the best one by leaps and bounds over ANY OTHER forum I have found. I also thank all of you for your hard work and understanding.

...By the way, I edited a couple of your words just to prove that I'm still paying attention.

:)Thank Wayne for the edits. I was gonna do that and obviously I forgot! DOH! (Now is where you are supposed to send me a PM full of irony, hypocriticisims (is that a word?) and a couple of infantile NYA NYA NYAs! for good measure) :rolleyes:;)

.... (BTW, if I was you I would forward that PM to whoever moderates that forum and ask them if that is acceptable behavier from its members.)

OUTSTANDING JOB, FOLKS!! :) :)

I did send it to the moderator and it has been ignored! Musta been his 3 year old playing on the computer.

I forgot to add the title of the PM was "Ha Ha ha Amphicar ad deleted"

Also, a small thing, but I really like the fact that "off color" language, etc. is not tolorated. Peruse many other forums and you will be surprised at the routine use of innapropriate, offensive language and the tolorance for disrespecting someone who either disagrees or misunderstands something

OUTSTANDING JOB, FOLKS!! :) :)

I strongly agree with Steve and would like to second his above comments. We all discuss likes, dislikes and passions but do not allow anyone to be crude or juvenile like other forums (that I avoid--who needs it). Thanks to Wayne and the other moderators and to all my regular forum friends, I appreciate you all, Todd C

I was on another forum and made a comment that I was growing tired of the issues I was having with my car (modern car). They banned me !!! I guess their love affair for their cars was so great that if you didn't share the same love, they didn't want you there. I sold the car, forgot the forum and left them to share in the misery of the cars they loved (without going into detail, there were numerous reports of cars having the same problems mine had - guess they banned anyone who unfortuantely owned the lemons LOL).

Yes this a great site - much better than 99% of the ones out thee.

Bob

Guest billybird

I think you described the person well. Coward. the same person probably would not dare say that to your face. Nevertheless, I'm sorry for your bad experience. Things like that tend to stay with you even though it actually amounts to nothing.

The private message with the statement that your reply "will be deleted without reading" tells you everything you need to know about such a person. We're all familiar with the know-it-all who's mind can't be changed no matter how much logic and validation you provide them, they will continue to insist that it's currently 1943 or that the moon is made of cheese once they've convinced themselves of the "fact." Remember that most of us come here to learn, share knowledge, and just have fun in the company of like-minded others, but people like that tend to have far greater issues in their lives, so we must feel more pity than anger towards them and hope that they one day find happiness in their own lives.

I was on another forum and made a comment that I was growing tired of the issues I was having with my car (modern car). They banned me !!! I guess their love affair for their cars was so great that if you didn't share the same love, they didn't want you there. I sold the car, forgot the forum and left them to share in the misery of the cars they loved (without going into detail, there were numerous reports of cars having the same problems mine had - guess they banned anyone who unfortuantely owned the lemons LOL).

Yes this a great site - much better than 99% of the ones out thee.

Bob

Do you have a Focus? I do and I get that vibe from that website.

Guest bofusmosby

I would be completely lost without this site, or the great people here that kindly offer their help by way of experience or profession. I have never been to another site, and been treated like you were John. Quite honestly, if I ever did get a response from some other member like that, and then be ignored by the staff running the place, It would be the last visit to that forum.

Thank you guys (mods)for all your hard work keeping us in line. I know that sometimes things are a bit trying. Also, thank you to all of our fine members! This place is the best!

That line can be found nearly word-for-word one of the P.M.'s in my inbox. Hmmm.....

Humm indeed! Seems this toddler might be out an about in thier little pink footie pajamas playing on Mommy's computer more than I knew!:rolleyes::D

whats the point of a 4 sale ad with no price?

Simply a matter of personal preference. It can help get a potential buyer on the phone. Almost every sale I ever made started with a "hello." :)

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

You Betcha we're fortunate! I've found similar low levels of civility aren't uncommon on other auto related forums.

It all comes down to the captain of the ship and what they choose to allow. The environment on any forum is a clear concise resume on the character of the person(s) at the helm.

Back to John's OP- couple nights ago one of the Olds boards had a questionable post that rapidly became "polarized" for lack of a better word. One of the mods handled it decently. The other (owner of the site) swooped down from on high with some "banhammer of the gods" mess and banned the OP, and then seemed to gloat about it. He does that fairly often and it just does not sit well with me.

I sent the decent mod a PM last night telling him that after ten years participation I was done with that forum and to vaporise any trace I had ever been on it. Harsh response on my part? maybe. But it's telling that a lot of the more knowledgeable members there have left and they will name the site owner as the reason. The kid that got banned was pretty sharp and fearless when it comes to troubleshooting and making repairs- he'd tackle about any job.

But, say something over there the owner doesn't like and you're gone.

After a couple of my own run-ins with him, my sig line said "I know absolutely nothing about Oldsmobiles".

Back to John's OP- (snip) But, say something over there the owner doesn't like and you're gone.

After a couple of my own run-ins with him, my sig line said "I know absolutely nothing about Oldsmobiles".

My sig comes from similar situation in a club I used to be proud to be a part of. There were a handful of people who caused many of the long time and nicest people to distance themselves from the club forever. Even though the main culprit was quietly asked to leave the board and to date nobody has even been given an explanation (even though they were asked) as to why, even though we all know why. Apologies offered? It'll never happen, ignore it away seems to be the method these people prefer.

It really is a tragedy when a few ruin it for the many. This is why I refuse to join a club. I joined one, became President/treasurer and webmaster (3 of 5 positions!) I gave a lot more than I had to give and got punched in the junk for it. Lesson learned. I do my own thing and privately have more support than I ever imagined.

These examples further shine the light on the AACA forums and why they are the pinnacle of car related forums I've experienced, IMNSHO. I may not agree with everything said or done here but it's a great place anyway :). To be welcomed here without fear of being falsely attacked, tried and executed without any proof or offered a chance to defend myself again is enough to be thankful for the mods methods here. Again, I can say that the mods here do a great job!!!! (takes hat off and bows)

Heavy-handed moderators aside, I am glad this forum exists, and I occasionally enjoy browsing it. I would be more active, but the censoring has squashed a lot of my enthusiasm.

But, again, it seems a lot of folks are very happy participating here, and so I say more power to them.

I don't consider myself a troublemaker in the least, but again, in my opinion, over-censoring of spirited discussion is an enthusiasm-killer.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, and Thanks Veterans.

I definitely agree with John, I spend the majority of my online time on this forum and it is by far the most consistently and professionally run that I have seen. I currently follow or participate in a number of other forums and have dealt with many others over past years both club - based and special interest. I entered each one to get educated and gain contacts, usually for whatever car I was working on at the time. Through daily participation and use of the search mode I crammed as much info as I needed. But after a while most of them filtered down to about six guys that had way too much time on their hands and no shortage of ego about their level of knowledge. One of those guys was the owner/moderator who ruled with an iron fist. At least two of those guys had very strong political, social, or racial opinions which they always had to inject into whatever car-related post they commented on. And at least one guy apparently had no purpose other than starting nasty personal flame wars with everyone, your typical cyber bully. Many of these sites self - destructed due to all this BS.

The AACA forums like the AACA itself have an amazing scope covering so many marques and such a long time span that they have to be carefully controlled to avoid this type of self destruction. I realize that censorship is abhorrent in any form to some but I think the Mods here have done a very good job maintaining a balance and keeping things on track and civil. I am a total car guy and I come here to read and talk about cars, if I want to get into confrontation, arguments, politics, religion, or personal attacks I can pick from thousands of other forums to do that. We are definitely fortunate to have these forums and I thank all the folks who work to maintain them.

Guest South_paw
My sig comes from similar situation in a club I used to be proud to be a part of. There were a handful of people who caused many of the long time and nicest people to distance themselves from the club forever. Even though the main culprit was quietly asked to leave the board and to date nobody has even been given an explanation (even though they were asked) as to why, even though we all know why. Apologies offered? It'll never happen, ignore it away seems to be the method these people prefer.

It really is a tragedy when a few ruin it for the many. This is why I refuse to join a club. I joined one, became President/treasurer and webmaster (3 of 5 positions!) I gave a lot more than I had to give and got punched in the junk for it. Lesson learned. I do my own thing and privately have more support than I ever imagined.

John,

A similar story for me with another national car club forum. Had a corrupt moderator that the board ignored to address directly for years. Finally they devised a rule that forced the hand of the mod to comply BUT the rule came at the expense of forum users and ticked a lot of members off including me.

Like you, I wore many hats for this other national club in the past but that is now and forever in the past. Doing my own thing privately and couldn't be happier.

The AACA has this forum thing figured out to the 9's. A nod to the powers that be for running top shelf operation.

Guest Caribou

This is the most polite place on the internet. I've often marveled at that. It's a wonder of the world.