Sign in to follow this  
Joe47

Opera windows

I know this has been discussed many times ...........but has anyone found or used a tool to separate the glass of these windows to clean the mess between them? I've read the post in the TC newsletter which said to use a knife to seperate the glass but this does not work for me. I am talking about doing this with the windows still installed in the top. I know some have taken the windows out but this seems extreme , with possible damage to the fabric . I've heated the windows with a lamp only to make them look worse . Took the car to an Autolite dealer and he would not try . Afraid of damaging the area around the window by prying with a tool. Has anyone done this before? Thanks. :confused:

from the outside of the car, i used a hair drier, and a hard plastic spatula, and had no trouble.

i used heat with the idea it would relax the grip of the adhesive/sealant. i have nothing to prove that it actually helped.

when it does come loose, at least in my case, it came loose suddenly, so be prepared to catch it.

Hi Lee.... I've tried with a large plastic paint scraper..I could try your method with the heat applied . As for the glass I have a suction cup with a handle , as the type that holds glass or mirror for carrying . Thanks for the idea.

I removed one a few weeks ago. In the past I have tried different methods. This is what finally worked. I warmed up both sides of the window with a heat gun (not too hot, I could still touch the glass). I put a suction cup with handle on the outer glass and sprayed "3M Release Agent" (part # 051135-08879) around the edge near the areas that looked separated. With a slight rocking and pulling motion on the handle the Release Agent slowly seeped between the two pieces of glass (I sprayed in more as needed). After about 5 or more minutes the outer glass pulled off. The thick plastic membrane stayed with the outer glass and was easy to remove. Someone mentioned that WD40 would work. Now I have to decide how to re-install the outer glass.

I did mine last night. Came out great!

I used halogen shop light and pried all around the ashes with plastic door panel tool and small flat screw driver. Then with my bare hand I stared twisting outside glass and as it moved I twisted it off with my bare hand.

One side silicone came off with brake clean spray and razor blade, other side just pealed off.

Anyone know how to stick it back on? ClEar silicone sandwich or just around the edge?

Well I did get them off . One side released with the suction cup device and came off fine . The other side cracked ,too much heat . Even after it broke I had to actually chiesel the glass off the plastic membrane before I could peal the plastic off the inner window . It was two completely different expierences. The one side that came off did so without heat and not much effort . I'm bringing the good beveled glass to a friend who owns a glass factory . They have water jet machines and grinding /polishing machines . I'll let you know if the glass can be duplicated . :)

You may do a desent job with the glass but actually it is bevelled crystal. Another reason these cars were so expensive.

Bob

:confused: And how did the Logos turn out? Did it stay with the portion that was removed or to the one in the car? :confused:

Reel Happy-- My logos mostly stayed attached to the 2nd glass .. As I peeled the membrane off they started to lift off but you can push the pieces back down . One little bar came off but it will go back on before the beveled glass is restored.

Interesting methods! One of mine is in a terrible mess....the other one looks new!! The seal on my driver's side porthole window must be bad, as water gets between the crystal pieces when it rains.