1971 W30

67conv

Just dropped the gas tank on my 71 W30 after sitting for over 15 yrs. The inside looked very good with just a small bit of trash ( not rust). What should I use to flush out the tank. I have a pressure washer but I dont want to take a chance on some water being left inside. Thanks for your help.

About a gallon of diesel fuel or kerosene sloshed around for a few minutes should dissolve any crud, though disposal may be a problem depending on where you are.

The pressure washer will work and if left to dry a few days, you shouldn't have any water issues. You could always force dry it with a hair dryer or heat gun if no fuel residue in it.

I went through this with the tank from my 62. The problem is that the inlet and vent tubes stick into the tank by some distance and there are baffles, so it is impossible to completely drain the tank. I used a water based product that worked great and I used compressed air to dry up what was left. I then let it sit in the sun for several days to evaporate what was left. You could also consider some sort of wet vac if you used a water-based cleaner. Wouldn't do that with kerosene, however... :eek:

Thanks for the tips guys, My plan is to use some heavy duty cleaner that I can heat up, move the tank around for awhile then let sit for a few hours. Then flush out with clean water and dry with compressed air and then sit in the hot sun for a few days.