Thrust Pad Removal on Dynaflow

1957buickjim

Can you remove and replace the thrust pad on the dynaflow without removing the torque tube and transmission cross member? It looks like there are 4 bolts holding the thrust pad bracket to the transmission and 3 bolts holding the thrust pad to the cross member? If I remove them are there any special things I have to worry about when I replace it? Will the transmission move potentially, causing it not to line up or something? Or is it that simple. Thanks.

post-65800-14313897214_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138972146_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138972152_thumb.jpg

No need to remove the crossmember. Keep note of shims (usually in front of pad)

Also orient the pad the same direction or it won't fit. I usually put the new one up next to the old one and mark it with crayon, paint or a booger (whatever) so you know orientation.

Guest Rob McDonald

Hey, when you're flat on you back under a car and you've got to mark the position of something, you use whatever comes to hand. Or finger.

Thanks guys for the info...a lot simpler job than anticipated, which is nice every once and a while. Willie, here are some photo's of the old thrust pad...it was pretty bad.

post-65800-143138972577_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138972582_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138972587_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138972592_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143138972597_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

JIM, I noticed in your first photo that this plate was rather too grotty (not to say snotty, puhlease) to be found on Old Bessie, even on the underside. Of course, you being the consummate practical restorer, now that the new piece is installed, it fits right into your frame-on makeover. Great job.

Just like the Johnny Cash Song..One Piece At A Time...In the immortal words of Mudbone (Ken)..I love my cabinet bead blaster. :) Thanks Rob! Hey any news on the Caballeri? I'm still thinking...PM if you have any updates.

• 4 weeks later...