1956 Models

rowan782

Can someone give me a quick primer on the 1956 Desoto models? I just bought one that says Seville on rear quarters and Firedome on front fenders. Looking at old parts book today at parts store for brake parts, they listed Adventurer and Fireflyte models. Can anyone elaborate?

Re-reading the text, me thinks that sportsman and seville were both trim packages available in the Firedome series. Now sounds like there were Adventurer, Fireflyte and Firedome???

Correct.

• 1 month later...
Guest dlyman

The Fireflite and Firedome were the two main models offered in 1956 (beginning in the fall of 55). The Adventurer was built on the Fireflite platform but was a high end specialty model (I don't have my books here at work but I believe there were only a total of 960 Adventurers in 1956). The Seville was offered as a 'Spring special' model. Beginning in 1950, the Sportsman designation referred to all 2 and 4 door hardtops (no center post). The last year of the Sportsman designation was 1959. Clear as mud?

The Fireflite and Firedome were the two main models offered in 1956 (beginning in the fall of 55). The Adventurer was built on the Fireflite platform but was a high end specialty model (I don't have my books here at work but I believe there were only a total of 960 Adventurers in 1956). The Seville was offered as a 'Spring special' model. Beginning in 1950, the Sportsman designation referred to all 2 and 4 door hardtops (no center post). The last year of the Sportsman designation was 1959. Clear as mud?

Yes, thank you

• 3 weeks later...
Guest William Grubbs
me thinks that Sportsman and Seville were both trim packages available in the Firedome series. Now sounds like there were Adventurer, Fireflyte and Firedome???
Firedome is a lower trim model with a 2bbl carburetor. Fireflite is a higher trim level with a 4bbl carburetor. Sportsman and Seville both indicate hard top models with either two or four doors.I own a Fireflite Sportsman. I can't say for sure if there is a FireDOME Sportsman. I know there is a FireDome Seville but I am not sure if there is a FireFLITE Seville. There is a Pacesetter which is a convertible, but I'm not sure all '56 convertibles are Pacesetters.The '56 Adventurer is a two door hard top only and has two four barrel carburetors.If you are on Facebook, please consider joining the group: The Ultimate 1955 and 1956 DeSoto GroupWe'd be happy to have new members. Edited by William Grubbs
Added some line breaks that disappeared. (see edit history)