The little engine that could

Since Edelbrock carbs are a Cater design, I'm using a 10" Edelbrock chrome air cleaner. If you want the larger 14" air cleaner and you have an electric choke, you must get the one made to clear auto. chokes or it will not fit...jeg's has all of them.<P>As for the exhaust, mine was factory single exhaust, so I'm going to have to get all new pipes etc... I thinking about using 50 series Flowmasters..Not sure about diameter of the pipe either...What mufflers and dia. pipes are you going to use?<BR>Thanks<P>------------------<BR>Dan<BR>1965 Skylark<BR>1965 Gran Sport W.I.P.

I'm having some problems locating r44s or 44s spark plugs. Please check my post in the Buy/sell forum.I'm looking to buy ac delco r44s or 44s plugs.<BR>Thanks<BR><P>------------------<BR>Dan<BR>1965 Skylark<BR>1965 Gran Sport W.I.P.

John, Scott makes a veriety of mufflers and i believe he can also set ya up with an X pipe,My brothers 64 conv. is not complete yet so i don't know how it'll sound. Dan, i checked and a R44TS should work i screwed one into an iron head and snugged it down, it extended into the chamber the same as the 44S plug in the chamber next to it. The reason i had to chamfer the top thread on my alum. heads is the top thread would roll from the taper seat on the plug and make removal and reinstallation tough the alum. is soft.SEE my reply in BUY/SELL<P>------------------<BR>Sean Etson

Sean-<BR>Send me an email so we can exchange info. I would like to buy a box of r44s.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Dan<BR>BuickGS65@aol.com<BR>1965 Skylark<BR>1965 Gran Sport

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to go out on a limb to say that I bet NGK has a # that will cross to the R44s and will be readily available at bike shops if not the autparts warehouse.<P>Good luck!<p>[This message has been edited by Rocket_Man (edited 10-27-2000).]

Sean, you mentioned your using the aluminum '64 heads for your set up. My question is why? I have a set of 67 340 cast iron heads and a set of 64 300 aluminum heads. Side, by side, the cast iron heads have much larger intake valves and ports. A better flowing head all the way around. (Although not as good as a 350 head). Do you know what kind of flow numbers you're getting. I took an alloy 300 head to a machine shop buddy of mine last year and he told me that that head just barely flows enough to support 300 cubes. Can you elaborate on your mods?<P>Greg

Thats what the car came with. grin.gif I have (2) sets of iron heads ya mentioned on a shelve,thought about it. frown.gif There are no intakes or adaptable ones either for iron heads, also weigh to much. Gasket match, runner contouring, bowl blending ,good valve job, alot of attention to details.Nothing fancy basic race stuff. Just seem to work. I do not have any flow #s did port work myself.Thanks for your interrest. What do you drive/play with?<P>------------------<BR>Sean Etson 64Special 12.72@105- 64Skylark all orig. surviver- 49Super model 51 chopped top mild custom in waiting

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '65 Buick Special, I was wondering where would I get dual exhaust? And I'm looking to change the 4 barrel to a 4 barrel. Where would I obtain any of these parts. Also if anyone has any other ideas this engine please email or post back. This is my second custom car, first buick. I'm not very experienced so include all details. Thanks, -Anthony

Anthony any good exhaust shop can install duals on your car,or any of the performance mandrel bent systems for an A body will work with some modification depending on use of "headers" or not and only known sorce for them is POSTON'S. You will have to find a '65 300 4v factory intake,the only one that will work. I don't currently have any at this time.<P>------------------<BR>Sean Etson 64Special 12.72@105- 64Skylark all orig. surviver- 49Super model 51 chopped top mild custom in waiting

• 2 weeks later...

Sean, sometime back you mentioned (I think) that you are running a Huffaker single plane 4bbl intake on your 300. I assume you are using adapter plates to fit the 215 style intake on your 300. Where did you get them? Did you fabricate them or buy them?<P>Greg

Greg, I made the adapter a friend did the welding and had a machine shop finish machine it. Tons of work! 67'skylark, I have a set of 3" head pipes /2 chamber flowmonsters with turn downs i bolt on and drive to local cruise nights and shows, on slicks 5 mile radius, with street rubber could drive more. poly race seats aren't very comfortable either. all the lights and the wipers work at the moment. the suspension is setup for dragracing so ride quality is a little harsh. put 25-30 miles on it cruising Bowling Green KY. AT THE 2000 GS nats.on barrowedrear street tires. TONS of fun! <P>------------------<BR>Sean Etson 64Special 12.72@105- 64Skylark all orig. surviver- 49Super model 51 chopped top mild custom in waiting<p>[This message has been edited by BUICK3001964 (edited 12-08-2000).]

Hey Sean, is it a wee bit too much to ask to see if you could post a pic of the intake with the mods you've done? I'd LOVE to see that thing! :-)<P>Greg<BR>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking to buy a set of 64 300 aluminum heads.<BR>Email me if you have 'em.<BR>Thanks<P>------------------<BR>Dan<BR>BuickGS65@aol.com<BR>1965 Skylark<BR>1965 Gran Sport

• 11 months later...

Hi All,<BR>Just signed on; great stuff (esp. Sean and Jimmie) and very encouraging.<BR>My first question is; are the 2v and 4v ('64 310/345) aluminum heads different or is it just the pistons and intakes?<P>To introduce; I have a project; '48 Pontiac torpedo-back that has an ok body but rotten frame and not much else; to be put on a doner frame and running gear from a '64 LeSabre. (I will have the LeSabre body (rough lowers), trim, glass, bumpers, int. etc. available if someone is looking.)<P>The motor is the 310 wildcat 2-barrel but I have located a 4-barrel manifold and heads. I want it as a good driver but Bonneville is in the future too ;-)<P>I expect plenty of headaches in the swap but I like the coils all around and if I need more motor later there will be room. I want to keep the motor in the 'D' 261-305 class so I will be limited in overbores. Any ideas on pistons? (to arrive at ~ the 4v specs)<BR>Cheers,<BR>Rick

• 3 weeks later...