1929 Oakland 6 volt coil

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I would like to replace the coil on my 29 Oakland. Is it necessary to buy a 6 volt coil specific for this car or would any 6 volt coil work? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Any 6 volt coil will work. You probably will never find a working correct coil (the one with the switch in the bottom). I have been looking for one for 54 years.

Not knowing what your exact problem is you might have two totally different solutions. If your coil is bad you can use a generic one and replace the ignition switch with a simple on off one. You could also remove the switch from your existing coil and leave it mounted in the dash so everything looks original. If your switch is defective you could disassemble it and fix it yourself it is an electrical problem or a locksmith could fix it if it were cylinder and/or key related.

Guest Wayne_Koffel

To Tinindian: In 1929 Oakland used a regular 6 volt coil. The coil with the ignition switch on it did not come until 1930. And those coils ARE available new but are very expensive. I don't know if Pontiac used that coil in 1929 but Oakland did not !

Waynw Thank you very much for your information. I went back and checked in my parts book and you are absolutely right. I have seen, hovever, 1929 Pontiacs (actually series 6-28 and 6-29) with the separate coil and switch that 1928 (series 6-28) had, with the locking combination ignition switch and transmission lockout that all series 6-29 were supposed to have as well as several with the series 6-29B (1930) ignition switch and coil combined.

I imagine each plant used up the parts that it had on hand.

Guest bofusmosby

On my 37, the ignition switch is connected to the coil with a metal flexible conduit, with the wire connecting inside the top coil cap onto the coil. This conduit is fastened to the back/top of the coil, going through the firewall to the ignition switch.