Water box

So I've been looking into my cooling problem. My Blue Book says the thermostat housing or water box has a plug on the top to 'burp' the system when refilling the radiator. Mine does not have this plug never has it is smooth on top

. Is my motor an early build? Does this present a problem as I can not 'burp' the coolant system. I am going to replace the thermostat tomorrow.....if time allows.

So I've been looking into my cooling problem. My Blue Book says the thermostat housing or water box has a plug on the top to 'burp' the system when refilling the radiator. Mine does not have this plug never has it is smooth on top

. Is my motor an early build? Does this present a problem as I can not 'burp' the coolant system. I am going to replace the thermostat tomorrow.....if time allows.

The lack of the plug is an indication that the cylinder head is likely a replacement head. Have you had the car from new?

I would be more concerned with the condition of the radiator than the thermostat. Rarely does the thermostat cause cooling problems with this engine. I do have 2 re-cored radiators that are for the inter-cooled TC.

Yes Hemi the head does say remanufactured. I have had the car for several years.On initial start up the temp gauge goes up past 3/4 before it dives back down. This is a new, it usually went to about 1/2 or a little more before diving down. It seems to be opening late. The temp stays good in town driving after the initial scary temp rise, but at freeway speeds gets up past 3/4.

I do not believe this plug for 'burping' the t'stat housing will effect your problem in the least. The first time the t'stat opens, any air that is in the goose neck will be forced into the radiator and then into the recovery tank. It still sounds to me like the t'stat is not functioning properly.

Replaced the thermostat, gauge went up to half and then down. Just like the days of old (last week). I'll hit the freeway tomorrow morning for the ultimate test. The old one 'looked' OK, but who knows, a little pin hole and the whole thing is compromised. Thanks guys.

Aren't most new t-stats coming with those little bleeder holes made right in the flange area so burping isn't necessary?

Yes, many thermostats are so equipped, venting the system is still helpful if you have drained the block.

Although it is messy, just removing the thermostat with a large drain pan under the engine area where you are working, without draining anything, would leave you with coolant right up to the cylinder head water outlet. Then just refilling the radiator after you are done would eliminate the need for 'burping'.

Such a nasty :mad: habit . :)

While habitual belching is indeed nasty, the occasional burp, like after a nice long chug of Diet Pepsi, man that is livin'.

You're right, just funning around. One can hardly avoid it after a Pepsi or a Coke.