6.00 x 20 tires for a '27 Series 60?

truckmen

Hello Ralph,

Offhand, I don't know where to get new tires for antique cars at "lower" prices, either. I'd like to get a set of 6.00 x 20s, too and will probably get some from the back pages of HMN eventually.

I saw your 1927 advertised there. Forgive me for sounding dense, but are you sure this Peerless is a 6-60? The 6-60s & 6-80s were very similar autos except that the 6-80s had about a 10% bigger feel -- with different rear axles, wheels, tires, and displacement, etc., according to what I've read.

I believe the 6-60s used tires about the size of 1930-31 Model A Fords'(19") and the 6-80s used tires about the size of 1930 Model A farm trucks(6.00 x 20"). I guess the wheels could have been changed...or there could be some optional wire wheels of some kind on the car. Because of the above -- there's room for a little cost-savings if these tires interchange and if you can find someone selling surplus Model A grain truck tires. Of course, the wheels on these Fords and Peerlesses are radically different and would never interchange.

Of course, you're familiar with the actual vehicle, not me, and it could have been special ordered/modified during the war/etc. Then there's always the carmakers who mixed & matched a little bit with the parts. Good luck, and tell me if there are other "antique car tire guys" out there besides the main ones!

----Jeff

P.S.: Please send me a PM with the serial #s of the Peerless you sold, who the previous owners were, and what-side-of-car-carburetor-is-on so it can be listed on the Peerless databank. Thank you!!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Hello Jeff,

may I add you as an informed contact re: Peerless cars?

I also see that you are a member of the Peerless Motor Car Club and if I am not mistaken is the same club based out of Madison, WI. If so, I'd like to join and begin some serious networking to better understand the car I have acquired.

I also do not know where to locate any number on the car. At the moment, I am still offshore off the copast of Brasil but as soon as I get back home can look in the locations you may offer to find some numbers.

I'll PM you with address if you could do the same.

Ralph

Ralph,

We are currently getting our web page up to date and accepting member applications. If you could send me your address I will send you an app.

The Peerless club offers a net-work of Peerless car owners with knowledge and parts for helping each other. Do you know Ralph Cartino? He lives in Gorham, Maine and has several Peerless cars and numerous parts.

RHL Peerless Club

Ralph,

We are currently getting our web page up to date and accepting member applications. If you could send me your address I will send you an app.

The Peerless club offers a net-work of Peerless car owners with knowledge and parts for helping each other. Do you know Ralph Cartino? He lives in Gorham, Maine and has several Peerless cars and numerous parts.

RHL Peerless Club

This is really good news for me. I do not know Ralph in Gorham but I can tell you that as soon as I get back home from overseas, I would like to get in touch with Ralph. It will be very interesting to meet up with him and ask him about these cars.

My address is:

Ralph and Alina Bohm

PO Box 500

Bucksport, ME 04416

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph,

I'm glad we got the model of your car resolved. Although a lot of things are similar or even interchangeable with 6-60 and 6-80 Peerlesses, the wheels, rims and tires are not.

I have already added your Peerless to the Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence database. It wasn't a car I had ever heard of before someone advertised it in HMN a while ago, but that's not too unusual __ a lot of totally unknown cars come out of nowhere from time to time.

I'll mail you one of the "Survey of Peerless Cars" questionnaires this weekend. These are actually pretty fun to fill out, compared to, say an IRS form! I have about a dozen spaces for things like Ser. #, Colors, Body Style, Coachbuilder, etc. Thank you for the information you've already sent me by PM.

----Jeff

It appears that some differences between the 1st and 2nd Series Peerless 6-80s are:

First .................................................. Second

*1926 and 1927 ............................ * 1928

*very plain instrument panel.............* stylish oval panel behind glass

("eyebrow" gauges) ..................... (6 round gauges + gold eagle)

*built-in roof visor extending 12" .....* 4" roof visor like 1930 Ford

* 11,410 built ................................* 3,544 built

There were also some differences in interiors, available colors, headlights, cowl lights and cowl bands. 1928 is about when Peerless started going from nickel to chrome.