1989 4 cyl 8v timing belts, water pumps

Guest Lee_M

Guest Lee_M

i have general confusion after trying to find the correct water pump, and timing belt for one of my 1989 4cyl 8v TCs.

regarding the timing belt, in one posting, hemi refers to any belt ending in 071 as the right one for "wild Bill" Wriston's 89 turbo II. perhaps i misunderstand, but i thought the turbo II would be the 8v. maybe not.

checking at rockauto, i find 88 lebaron 2.2 4cyl std and turbo both take an 071 belt, but all 89 4cyl lebaron & TC listings, 8v and 16v, say a belt ending in 153 is correct.

anyone know for sure which belt?

===

regarding the water pump, yesterday butch91 said in another thread, that the autozone pump BWP-751 is wrong, and the BWP-599 is correct.

however, i checked rockauto and they show several different models, for example 42033, AW7122, and a few ending in 1260, which cross to the autozone BWP-751. here again, as with the belts, i find that 1988 lebaron 2.2 non-turbo, does list one water pump with a part number that exchanges with the BWP-599.

anyone able to clarify this?

===

i recall someone here at the forum once said that many early 1989 TCs used left-over 1988 chrysler parts. is this what some of the owners here are experiencing, when the recommended item doesn't match the old item they are replacing?

and yes i do have a couple of sets of chrysler TC shop manuals, but for the life of me i can't seem to lay my hands on either of them...

Guest Jim_McNally

Also, on the timing belts, the 8V and 16V are totally different, both in length and in tooth profile. And some of the 2.2l were common block and some weren't.

These cars are so rare, and the parts were so confused due to the production delays, I've found it best to take the old parts to compare or to get the parts number from. At least there weren't (m)any options to make it even more confusing...

Jim

i have general confusion after trying to find the correct water pump, and timing belt for one of my 1989 4cyl 8v TCs.

regarding the timing belt, in one posting, hemi refers to any belt ending in 071 as the right one for "wild Bill" Wriston's 89 turbo II. perhaps i misunderstand, but i thought the turbo II would be the 8v. maybe not.

checking at rockauto, i find 88 lebaron 2.2 4cyl std and turbo both take an 071 belt, but all 89 4cyl lebaron & TC listings, 8v and 16v, say a belt ending in 153 is correct.

anyone know for sure which belt?

===

regarding the water pump, yesterday butch91 said in another thread, that the autozone pump BWP-751 is wrong, and the BWP-599 is correct.

however, i checked rockauto and they show several different models, for example 42033, AW7122, and a few ending in 1260, which cross to the autozone BWP-751. here again, as with the belts, i find that 1988 lebaron 2.2 non-turbo, does list one water pump with a part number that exchanges with the BWP-599.

anyone able to clarify this?

===

i recall someone here at the forum once said that many early 1989 TCs used left-over 1988 Chrysler parts. is this what some of the owners here are experiencing, when the recommended item doesn't match the old item they are replacing?

and yes i do have a couple of sets of Chrysler TC shop manuals, but for the life of me i can't seem to lay my hands on either of them...

First of all, you must determine if you have the 'Early' block 2.2 or the 'Common' block 2.2

The early uses the 071 belt, the common block the 153 belt which is also used on the later 2.5L. There was a taller 2.5, we'll forget that one.

Same goes for the water pump, early uses pump that is sealed with silicone, (do not use paper gasket if supplied, use silicone sealer)

The common block engines use a 'pump outlining' round rubber seal.

Simple way to ask for parts is;

For early block.... Ask for parts fitting anything 2.2L from '81-'88.

For Common block... Any '89 and newer 2.2 or 2.5L

For further clarification, drop me a line at my email address.

Guest Lee_M

thanks for the help, folks! i now know how little i do know about the focus of my addiction. luckily for me i DID NOT pull the trigger on buying a bunch of parts for some summer TC projects. who new: i have to look up a 1988 lebaron to get most of my 8v parts.

my naivete proves hemi's point the other day about the hvac control: even with a driver behind the wheel, the TC may still not have a brain...