1904 Pope Hartford Wanted For Photoshoot

Guest ChrisEpperson

Guest ChrisEpperson

Hi guys,

Tomie from Cooper filmcars here (Fine Vintage, Exotic, and Classic Cars available for sale in New York City and International Shipping). I have a photoshoot going on June 13-15th, likely to be in Massachusetts (waiting for confirmation). The client is specifically asking for a 1904 Pope Hartford. Would any of you guys know of where I could track one down? We need the car for 3 days, needs to be delivered and looked after as well. The job pays very well and would certainly be worth your while. Check out our website or give me a call 212-929-3909 We have been in business for 33 years!

Edited by ChrisEpperson (see edit history)

Well, that's a tough request, as I believe there are only two complete 1904 Pope Hartfords known to exist. One at the Henry Ford, one privately owned in Arizona.

Anyone dealing with this gentleman and organization for an "event", get something in writing and a deposit. He negotiated with me for a weekend use of my Pierce, a few months ago. I changed my schedule around to meet the request, and when it came down to it, he quit answering my emails. Didn't give me the common courtesy of telling me why it was cancelled.

Guest ChrisEpperson

Hi David, I'm sorry about the way that worked out for you! The employee that you're speaking of no longer works here, and to the best of my knowledge that shoot was cancelled by the client.

As for the Pope Hartford, our client requested a 1904 but as David has mentioned this may be a difficult task. Any help finding Pope Hartfords (of any year) would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same experience as David, with the same person - also was in process of rearranging my schedule and scheduling transportation for car, and they stopped answering emails, did not return phone messages.

It was not handled in a professional manner - hope this all changes for future requests.

The AAA West Hartford, CT has a Pope-Hartford in their lobby, but I do not think it goes out very often, if every. A couple of others, I think around New England which should save transport costs. Not sure who th eowners are.

John

There are two 1904 Pope Hartfords in one collection here in Connecticut, and another about an hour away. Great looking cars, I know one of the three ran in the London to Brighton run within the last 10 years. Bob.................the one in the AAA Headquarters is a 1913 I believe.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ChrisEpperson

Thanks for the leads everyone, however my search continues.

A little more info on the shoot:

This will be a still shot taking place in Lenox, MA. The photographer is attempting to recreate a scene that will depict author Edith Wharton standing with her 1904 Pope. I understand that a 1904 certainly is hard to come by, so at this point we are hoping to find a Pope of any year.

Edith and Teddy Wharton were proud owners of the first car sold by Pope Motor Car Company in 1904 (more info about them here:The Mount | Edith Wharton's Home) and the shoot will be taking place at their Lenox, MA estate.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Guest cben09

Hiram Maxim was working for Pope in Hartford in 1896,,,

Horseless Carriage Days,,by,H,P,Maxim,,Houghton Mifflin co/1936,,

soft cover later,,,its a good read,,Pope gave ? the Harvard Club in Boston,,deadication stone in lobby,, Gave Sylvester Roper a safety cycle to play with in 1894,,The one he was riding when he had the fatal heart attack,,,bike survives,,,Ben

Guest cben09

Cylender on side of boiler,,con rod direct to rear wheel,, water tank bottom is top of smokebox,,,,Think Vincent black shadow

60 years later,,,,,,,Ben

If I had a TV show, a car and motorcycle collection and grew up in Massachusetts I'd build a replica of that machine. :rolleyes: Bob

Cylender on side of boiler,,con rod direct to rear wheel,, water tank bottom is top of smokebox,,,,Think Vincent black shadow

60 years later,,,,,,,Ben