Recommendations for performance upgrades 70 Riviera

I have a stock 455 70 Riviera that I'd like to tweak up as a weekend toy. I've been drooling over the Poston catalog and trying to decide what to buy. I want to keep the car street driveable but don't mind living with less than excellent gas mileage, octane boosters, and a rough idle. I have other daily driver cars. My thoughts so far:<BR>-Poston Stage 1 ported heads (worth the $1k?)<BR>-Rebuild mine or buy rebuilt TH400 w/3000 rpm switch pitch converter<BR>-Poston crossflow intake<BR>-Poston headers<BR>-Poston rebuilt Q-jet<BR>-Custom 3" exhaust system w/Flowmaster mufflers<BR>-new cam (need ideas here)<BR>-posi rearend w/3.23 or 3.5 ratio (need ideas here also, currently 10 bolt non-posi)<BR>-other ideas?<P>Also, the engine has 63K original miles and doesn't burn any oil. Should I go all the way and rebuild the block now or slap on the go-fast parts and see what happens?<P>Thanks guys, I'm new to Buicks and appreciate your feedback.<P>John

I would wait on the $1k heads until you are ready for a full rebuild. I bought the th400 with the 3000 stall converter, works great in my skylark, should be even better in the riv.<BR>I would go with intake, cam, headers and carb and see where it gets you. Also a good time to look at the oil pump and timing chain. I went with the 2.5" exhaust system. It was a little cheaper. 3.42 gears with posi would be my rear choice. You can swap a gm HEI distributor from a later buick 350 (use the gear from the 455) or go with the Pertronix kit. both work well.

• 2 years later...

JUST SO YA KNOW...IM RUNNING POLSTONS INTAKE,CAM# 116 I BELIEVE..WHICH IS MADE FOR YOUR RIVVY...HAS A SLIGHT ROUGHNESS IN IDLE ..AND THEIR 800 CFM MODIFIED CARB ON MY 455 WHICH I HAVE IN MY 76 REGAL...ALSO IS THE BLOCK IS OUT OF A 76 RIVVY ..THE HEADS ARE 1970 455'S....WITH 10 TO 1 COMPRESSION...I HAD IT PLACED ON THE DYNO....ITS A SLEEPER WHICH PEOPLE ARE IN AWW WHEN THEY HEAR IT OPEN UP...I RUN 3.23 GEARS AND A BEEFED UP 350 TRANSMISSION...POWER OUTPUT IS LOWER THAN THE NORMAL 11 TO 1 BUT...ITS 332 HP @ 4800 RPM WITH 429 FT LBS OF TORQUE...I DONT LOSE FROM A STOP OR HIGH RPMS...IS A WELL ACCELERATED VEHICLE THROUGH ALL THE GEARS...I DONT HAVE THE THUMP OF A BIG CAM...BUT SHE RUNS VERY NICE...HOPE'S THIS HELPS YOUR DECISION MAKING...BU_NUT76@YAHOO.COM

I Ported the heads, added an HEI, MSD 6AL box, a TA Performance Stage 2 Cheater cam, and a larger electric fuel pump for engine mods and added a 3.42 rear. All of that was good for almost 500hp off of the stock SF code heads with the small valves. I also added a 700R4 overdrive since its a driver so I can now get about 22 mpg on the highway.

Laterz,

Central Texas Sleeper

"There is no Replacement for Displacement"

Carroll Shelby

1970 Riviera (468-4, 700R4)