Success! Electric fuel pump gone!

ch1929

ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

I rebuilt the vacuum tank on my 23 Coupe over the winter (thanks to Myers for parts). Yesterday is the first time it has run only on the vacuum tank. It worked perfectly! I drove it to a local car show and put about 20 miles on it. No more electric pump noise!

<O:p></O:p>

Roland

It's good that you have been successful in restoring your vacuum tank. The first thing that my neighbour said to me was "there's no reason why you can't get that tank working o.k."

I agree, the electric pump noise is intrusive and more to the point, it's not in keeping with the car.

Ray.

Pretty easy rebuild. The hardest part was cleaning the hardened fuel deposits from the tanks and flapper valve. I let them soak in a engine cleaning solution for a couple of weeks. All of the mechanical parts were cleaned and reused including the float. On reassembly I checked the operation of the two valves and found the atmospheric valve was hitting the vent tube. The tube was too long on the tank side. A little trim on the tube and no more problem. When putting the top on the upper chamber it takes a little practice to get the float pin into the guide at the bottom of the tank. Also there is a very small tube on the lower chamber mounting surface that vents air to the atmospheric valve. Make sure the gasket does not cover this tube and it aligns with a hole in the cover at the vent tube.

Sorry I did not take any pictures but I will on the next adventure. Myers had the gaskets and springs but I only used the gaskets.

Roland