Sign in to follow this  
Paul Christ

WWII fighter plane discovered in Sahara 70 years after disappearing

Saw the video yesterday, and just loved the people walking all over the plane and one guy looked like he was trying to kick the little windshield out of it. Nice way to treat a historic item like this. :(

Saw the video yesterday, and just loved the people walking all over the plane and one guy looked like he was trying to kick the little windshield out of it. Nice way to treat a historic item like this. :(

Right Susan! Almost makes me wish that the aircraft had never been located!

I saw the video as well and was impressed with the discovery but very dismayed over the lack of respect.

Lets hope they can salvage it for the museum as mentioned before it gets picked to pieces.

What I found especially upsetting was that the video claimed that a group of archeologists found it. But I question that with the lack of respect shown.

It would be interesting to kow what happened for sure to the pilot since it looked as if he had survived the plane going down. It is possible I guess that a nomadic tribe might have found him and taken him in with no real way to get him back to where he could go home. Or he may have perished as was suggested by walking trying to find somewhere that he could get help. If there are survivors from his family it will help them to know that at least his plane was finally found.

Edited by Shop Rat
Correct a type-o. (see edit history)

It sounds like the pilot died a horrible death. Our military is very good at identifying missing people from WWII, I would guess that the UK knows that this poor guy never came back.

As for the local people, don't expect any better from them. They will steal what has value and trash the rest on principle. In recent years, WWII Allied cemeteries in North Africa have been trashed by locals because the graves have christian and jewish symbols on them.

This whole story is very sad.