1934 Buick model 47

Guest renocam

Guest renocam

After about 40 years, sitting unrestored in his garage, my dad has finally been persuaded to sell his 1934 Buick sedan. Here is the info I have on it.

Model 47

Style #34059

Body #2406

Trim #227

Paint #402

It is not currently running. It was last running about 15 years ago. I believe that most everything is there, however There is an additional engine also. It has the side mounted spares and the trunk attached to the back. I think it has been a California car its whole life. We have a 1934 California license plate. Title in hand.

My question is, can anyone tell me a ballpark value for a vehicle like this?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Welcome to forum: a nice car

Photos would assist. You can add to an album in your User CP, add to this thread or link to an image hosting web site

Edit: you location in California would help

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi and welcome!

As Allan says, link to an image hosting website. I myself use Facebook. Difficult to put a price on your car these days. Depends on what someone is prepared to pay. Ignore NADA values. Search eBay for cars similar to yours and save them to your Watch List, then see if they sell and if so, what for.

Cheers

Grant

Guest renocam

Thanks for the info guys. I will do some research on the engine and wood condition and post some pictures.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest renocam

I should have mentioned that the head is removed. The original is believed to be cracked between the 7th and 8th cylinders. We have an additional head that is believed to be ok.

Dave, I think your Dad's car would get a lot of interest, It seems mostly complete and there doesn't appear to be rust issues, it's a fine candidate for a total restoration and my opinion is that it is a desirable model.

Just making some assumptions that less than 50% of the wood would need replacing and that indeed this car does not have serious rust issues, I think you can expect it to fetch in the range of $5000 to $8000. If you could spend a bit of time and make it run, you would be certain to get off that lower amount.

Of course you know that this isn't the best time to get top dollar for these and I'm not predicting a great change for these cars even with economic recovery, but that's just me talking. Also, the top paying buyer may be 1000 miles away and you can bet that's they'll be figuring transport into their cost - but you may get lucky and sell it to someone next door.

Good luck with it and thank you for sharing it!

Guest renocam

Thanks for the input Joel. Very helpful info. Looks like it might be worth getting our hands dirty.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

DAVE, marvellous old car - '34 is one of my favourite years for Buick. Please do not be tempted to part it out. Much of the appeal of your dad's car is that it is so complete, just as it rolled off the line, which makes it such a good restoration candidate. That's probably exactly why he bought it, back in the 1970s.

Don't be disappointed by the low estimates of value you'll find here and elsewhere. The car needs a massive amount of expensive work before it can be show-worthy. Whatever money a sale brings now will be found money, which your dad can easily enjoy instead of having it tied up in a procrastination project.

Consider the time that your dad owned it to be a "pause" in this Buick's continuing history. He kept it indoors and didn't allow scavengers to pick off all the good bits. Now's a good time to pass it on to a more active owner/restorer. Best of luck.

Guest renocam

Hey guys. Checking in again. Sorry to all those who need parts, but this will be sold as a complete car (with extras) or put on hold until I have more time to restore it myself. My father and I hope to have someone buy it who will restore it and not turn it into a hot rod. The input that you guys have submitted is very valuable and encouraging and has helped a great deal. I thank you all. What a wonderful resource this forum is. Thanks to all. My dad talked about how for years he didn't know where to get info other than a Hemmings magazine.

We will probably make a decision in the next few weeks on our path forward. We are leaning toward listing it on ebay motors unless persuaded otherwise or unless nostalgia gets the best of us...

Thanks again,

Dave

• 6 months later...
Guest Stevie M.

Hey Dave,

Any luck selling that 34 Buick, I was in the market for a 33-35 Buick when I came across this post. I located a 34 Buick 60 series, but took interest in the 47 series you mentioned.

Guest renocam

I believe my dad would still be interested in selling the car. It is still in the same condition as previously posted. we have not had time to anything with it yet. Let me know if you are seriously interested.

Thanks,

Dave

Guest Stevie M.
I believe my dad would still be interested in selling the car. It is still in the same condition as previously posted. we have not had time to anything with it yet. Let me know if you are seriously interested.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Contact me at smendoza194@yahoo.com

Put a price on it and you'll quickly find if there is any real interest. Looks a little like my Series 41 when I found it 17

years ago. I think the value is there for the person who wants something different. it's not a vehicle you see very

often because of all the wood in the body. The condition of the wood sets its value now, then the quality of the

restoration sets the future value.

post-32318-143139332259_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...