1950 Buick Most value

James B. White

I've been asking people, IF you had a 1950 Buick

Super 4dr- model 52

Super 2dr - model 56R

Special 4dr - model 43D jetback

And you invested almost the same amout of time

and money to restore each one to the same condition.

Which one would be worth the most IF you were to sell???

I agree with Keith. It's hard to think of any example where the four-door version of the car is worth more than a two-door version. Maybe a late 1930s Cadillac 60 Special might be worth more than a 2-door Cadillac of the same year, but that's the only one that comes to mind.

Pete Phillips

Guest shadetree77

Hmmmm....interesting. So you guys don't think the jetback would bring more? I've never understood that thing people have about 2 doors being better than 4 doors. Growing up, I never made any distinction between the two. If it's a cool car with great lines I liked it regardless of how many doors it had. Thinking one was better than the other never entered my mind. I remember being shocked and amazed the first time I heard somebody trash talking a beautiful car just because it had 4 doors. I guess that's just the opinion of the masses and I could see why a 2 door would bring more solely based on that fact. To me though, I would pay the most for the jetback simply because the lines of a jetback are amazingly cool from a design standpoint. I'd pick a 4 door jetback over a 2 door anything any day of the week. But then again, the masses think differently and they would be the ones buying the car. To steal a line from fellow member NTX.....just some thoughts.:)

Guest Rob McDonald

JAMES, the Super Riviera 56R 2-door hardtop is the hands-down favourite of "the masses". Anything that lacks back doors and fixed B-pillars brings top dollar when nicely refinished. They generally cost the same to restore as any other regular body style. That's the sensible choice, if you've got the three to pick from.

On the other side of the brain, if you're hoping to fall in love with a car, the Special Deluxe 43D 4-door Jetback Sedan could be a front-runner. The rear styling is just terrific and would eventually outweigh one's fear of backing up, without being able to see a danged thing.

Not to snub the stately, sensible Super Deluxe Tourback Sedan model 52, it can't hold a candle to the flash and dash of the other two presented here. Sadly, unless they're found in superb original condition or have a strong family story, big 4-door sedans don't usually get restored (my own being an exception). In fact, they're often used as parts cars in the rebuilding of flashier models.

Not all of us have photographic memories, so here are examples of the models under discussion here.

Model 52, 56R, 43D

post-59990-143138963981_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138963985_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138963992_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138963993_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
add model numbers (see edit history)

Guest sconnors

I had my 1950 Special Deluxe Tourback Sedan model 41D out for a ride today and she gets my vote!!

Hmmmm....interesting. So you guys don't think the jetback would bring more? I've never understood that thing people have about 2 doors being better than 4 doors. Growing up, I never made any distinction between the two. If it's a cool car with great lines I liked it regardless of how many doors it had. Thinking one was better than the other never entered my mind. I remember being shocked and amazed the first time I heard somebody trash talking a beautiful car just because it had 4 doors. I guess that's just the opinion of the masses and I could see why a 2 door would bring more solely based on that fact. To me though, I would pay the most for the jetback simply because the lines of a jetback are amazingly cool from a design standpoint. I'd pick a 4 door jetback over a 2 door anything any day of the week. But then again, the masses think differently and they would be the ones buying the car. To steal a line from fellow member NTX.....just some thoughts.:)

It's supply and demand. More people want the two door. That drives up the two door's price.

This is an interesting topic, and, while I agree that the 56R would command the highest price among these cars, I also agree with shadetree77 regarding the 4-door jetback. The jetback would most certainly be my personal favorite among these cars.

One thing that always disturbs me about the collector car marketplace is the push for conformity. Please allow me to explain what I mean.

We all appreciate and enjoy old cars, and part of the appeal is, I think, the uniqueness and distinction of driving and/or showing a vehicle that has largely disappeared from daily use on the streets and highways of America.

When it comes to old cars, though, it seems like many are willing to embrace a set of norms or "rules" that govern their selection or appreciation of old cars. For some, rather than consider a car based on its own merits, it becomes easier to fall back on some conventional thinking that governs the collector car hobby. I've heard collectors offer some half-hearted compliment to the owner of a 4-door car, quickly following the commpliment with a comment along the lines of: "but, I would never buy a 4-door car, of course".

It is as though it is almost incomprehensible that someone would choose the 4-door. Personally, I've literally been called an "idiot" when I commented that I was explicitly seeking the 4-door body style of a car I was interested in. The insult came from another hobbyist who was particularly eager to remind me of the "rules" of the collector car hobby.

About twenty years ago, I met and talked at length with a BCA member who focused on the 1969 and 1970 Electra 225's. His collection included a convertible, a 2-door hardtop, and 4-door hardtop. He commented that, in his view, these beautiful Electra 225's were designed as 4-door models and actually look best in that body style. Now, you can certainly argue the point, but I understand the guy's opinion. In the same way, I am happy to accept that the 2-door and convertible will command the higher market value, but why should the arguably attractive 4-door model be avoided or dismissed simply because it has 4-doors?

To further illustrate my point, many of us who collect Buicks have felt invisible at car shows that are dominated by Chevrolets and Fords. To many, the lack of a bowtie or blue oval means that our cars are not worth wasting time with, so why even bother to check them out at a car show? Again, these folks have internalized a set of norms that say only certain cars are worthy of attention.

Ultimately, I have found it generally more rewarding to focus on driving type events. The general public encountered while we're on the road is usually enthusiastic about our group of old cars. The "car people" at car shows, on the other hand, can be very quick to assess the cars based on a set of rules relating to the car's "desirability".

Okay, I've made my point, and I admit that I have been quick to classify people into groups based on the types of cars they appreciate, and I'm sure that's even worse than quickly classifying cars as worthy or unworthy based on some criteria that I might disagree with. I guess it's important to take time to understand both cars and the people who like them rather than make snap judgements about either.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Guest sconnors

I tend to agree with Brian. Whenever I'm at a car show with my 4 door 1950 Buick Deluxe Tourback Sedan people always come up and remark about how the car evokes memories when they were young people riding in the back of their parents car, or how they learned to drive on a car like mine that belonged to their parents.

It seems we all have fond memories of some type regarding riding in our parents vehicles while growing up. Whether it be those long torturous trips with no air conditioning, having to sit in the way back of the station wagon. The reality is most American kids grew up in four door cars or station wagons and for whatever reason they take us back to a more innocent time and place in our life.

I think there are people who love two door hot rods because they're cool and fast and represent the freedom from their parents restraints as they were growing up. I see my 1950 4-door as an example of American dominance in the automotive industry. I see it as a reflection of the freedom of the open road. I see it as more innocent time in our country. I see it as big, beautiful, machine that floats down the road. She may not be fast, but she sure is comfortable. It's like driving a couch!

Sure people may walk past my car at a car show and glance at it on their way to the hot rod section, but I'm always smitten when I see someone staring at that big buck tooth grill and a smile comes over their face and they're magically transported back in time to a memory that makes them almost childlike. Then they stop, relate their recollection about their experience or experiences they had with my car, and walk away with a smile.

In conclusion, I love the big, old, four door boats!!

The two door cars bring a puesdo sportiness to the picture. It's like a personal car for two even though many have a generous back seat. The two door old cars have long doors. Open em and you have oceans of space that give the impression of no bounds. Windows are longer in the front and when you turn your head you have a feeling of oceans of space. 4 dr cars give the impression of confinement in these two regards. It's hard to overlook this visual impact when comparing the same model car.

I love the Rivieras, but I prefer the Jetbacks. 1950 is one of my favorite years. I don't mind the post on the Jetback, but a lowered roof with a hardtop would be nice. Now a 4 door Jetback vs. Riviera, I think on a Buick I could go for the Jetback. Now a Chevy or Poncho, 2 doors would be the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not sure which way I want to go, that is to do the two door

model 56R, or the four door model 43D. My 1950 model 52 is ready

to be painted.

After I talked to a body shop owner of 40 years who may want to buy

the two door model 56R, or do all the needed body work on the 43D

in trade for the 56R complete body and drive train. he doesn't want

the chrome bumpers or grill. His offer makes me think---hmm!?

Edited by James B. White (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Guest am-classic-autos-eu

Hello. I'm across the pond and have come to this excellent Forum, and website, by way of this thread through a search engine. And have hence registered, to respond here and to enjoy the whole site.

Personally I like both four door and two doors, and yet having read the thread was surprised that no one had considered the re-sale value of a vehicle to be dependent to some degree on the quantity produced of a particular model and specific year, the rarity factor. I believe that two door coupes and convertibles command a higher sale price because there were fewer produced. Am i right or wrong ? thank You.

Hello. I'm across the pond and have come to this excellent Forum, and website, by way of this thread through a search engine. And have hence registered, to respond here and to enjoy the whole site.

Personally I like both four door and two doors, and yet having read the thread was surprised that no one had considered the re-sale value of a vehicle to be dependent to some degree on the quantity produced of a particular model and specific year, the rarity factor. I believe that two door coupes and convertibles command a higher sale price because there were fewer produced. Am i right or wrong ? thank You.

I do not disagree.

I would point out however that rarity does not always equate to value.

I had a co-worker, who bought a used Pontiac Aztec.

He regularly bragged about the Aztec's rarity.

Guest Rob McDonald

Rarity is not an automatic qualifier for dollar value. There are way more '57 Bel Air 2-door hardtops out there than Bel Air station wagons and yet, among the wagons, only the low production Nomads command prices similar to the flow-through coupes.

Long-term collector interest is a fickle thing. Every "rule" can be countered with a slew of exceptions. I suspect there were more Rivieras built in the 3 lines of '50 Buick, than were 2-door Sedanets or 4-door Jetbacks. Yet it's the pillarless 2-doors that always sell for the most, second by a long shot to convertibles.

Yes, convertibles are rare but not nearly as rare as wood-bodied station wagons. Buick woodies have finally gained auction house stardom but only for the finest professional restorations. A shabby Estate Wagon would not fetch near the sale value of a similarly dilapidated ragtop. Witness the recent example of an abandoned-in-the-bush topless, bottomless '51 76C, that eBay'd for $6300 - http://forums.aaca.org/f117/anybody-need-51-76c-parts-car-326690.html

I hope most of us still choose the cars of our affections for personal and emotional reasons, not chiefly for resale prospects. Unless you're running it through a premium restoration shop, fixing up a plain Jane or an off-model can be cheaper than doing the top-of-the-line. There are fewer exclusive trim parts to acquire, upholstery fabrics are way less money than leather, and you won't feel so compelled to install high-dollar bias-ply whitewalls on a business coupe.

In the end, the view out over the hood is pretty much the same from the driver's seat of all models and that's what makes me grin.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)