Cv axel questions

I had to do both axels on my 1991 tc. For those who don't know that's a 3.0 automatic.

I ordered from Autozone. I got one that was over 3feet long and another 24" with a counter weight.

I took apart passenger side first and it was exact match to short unit wih counter weight.

I tool apart driver side and that axel was same length.

I went back to the store and said what they sold me was too long.

I brought both axels I tool off.

Autozone= dopes

So I got a refund n went to napa.

They said order another driver side and remove the counter weight.

Is the Cardone catalog wrong?

Which side is longer and which side has the counter weight?

Maybe the ones on my car were replaced I the past with the wrong units.

Guest Butch91

Your experience does not surprise me one bit. Just a few weeks ago, I replaced the water pump in my boy’s 1989 4 cyl turbo. It was not leaking yet, but the belt was beginning to squeal so I knew something was wrong. Anyway, before we tore into it, I went on line and ordered the part from AutoZone. Not having the old one in hand, the picture on line looked like it was the part. I picked up the news part after work and then started to take apart the old one. Once I had the old one in hand, it was evident that the part the sold me was in-correct. Similar but not correct. They were good about it, I took the incorrect part back, and figured out which one was correct and they got me the right one in a few days. Only had car disabled for a few days due to their data base in computer not being correct. I told the guy at AutoZone that the computer did not have the correct water pump reference and he said he would relay that information and get it corrected. I would imagine that there are many part references for the TC that may not be exactly correct. Just something for all of us owners to be aware of. Good luck in part hunting.

equal length axle systems use the same one as the driver side usually but have a intermediate axle shaft or jack shaft with hanger bolted to the block that enters the trans before the axle. this was to eliminate torque steer in a fwd car, so if you have a one really long one you have an axle for a car not using the jack shaft. i ran a long shaft in my daytona a while until i was able to get a usuable jack shaft as mine the bearing was shot.

My car is a 91 with 85,000 miles. I can not tell if the axels I am replacing are originals. They have a yellow decal that says ENGLAND.

Driver side had no counter weight pass side did.

Originals appear to be the same length or are within 1 inch.

Is no weight on driver side correct? What does the counter weight do?

Guest BarelyFit

Hey not to jack this thread but what is the correct part number for the 89 water pump. I may be replacing mine soon.

Guest Butch91

regarding the water pump for the 4 cyl turbo

At AutoZone

For my car this was the WRONG PART

Part Number: BWP-751

Alternate Part Number: B 120-1260

THIS WAS THE CORRECT PART

Duralast New/Water Pump

Part Number: BWP-599

Alternate Part Number: B 120-1050

the 2 water pumps look similar but have different bolt patterns

Your experience does not surprise me one bit. Just a few weeks ago, I replaced the water pump in my boy’s 1989 4 cyl turbo. It was not leaking yet, but the belt was beginning to squeal so I knew something was wrong. Anyway, before we tore into it, I went on line and ordered the part from AutoZone. Not having the old one in hand, the picture on line looked like it was the part. I picked up the news part after work and then started to take apart the old one. Once I had the old one in hand, it was evident that the part the sold me was in-correct. Similar but not correct. They were good about it, I took the incorrect part back, and figured out which one was correct and they got me the right one in a few days. Only had car disabled for a few days due to their data base in computer not being correct. I told the guy at AutoZone that the computer did not have the correct water pump reference and he said he would relay that information and get it corrected. I would imagine that there are many part references for the TC that may not be exactly correct. Just something for all of us owners to be aware of. Good luck in part hunting.

You need to remember that an '89 TC is built from earlier year model parts. Look at your date of manufacture, you will notice it was built in 1988. Also, keep in mind that there were 2 very different 2.2L 8 valve engines in the '89 year model cars. You need to know which one you have before ordering parts.

I had to do both axels on my 1991 tc. For those who don't know that's a 3.0 automatic.

I ordered from Autozone. I got one that was over 3feet long and another 24" with a counter weight.

I took apart passenger side first and it was exact match to short unit wih counter weight.

I tool apart driver side and that axel was same length.

I went back to the store and said what they sold me was too long.

I brought both axels I tool off.

Autozone= dopes

So I got a refund n went to napa.

They said order another driver side and remove the counter weight.

Is the Cardone catalog wrong?

Which side is longer and which side has the counter weight?

Maybe the ones on my car were replaced I the past with the wrong units.

Most cars and mini vans with the 3.0L engines were built with one long and one short drive axle, similar to the 2.2L or 2.5L ones.

The 3.0L TCs got the same intermediate shaft and support with a short drive axle on the passenger side as the turbo engine cars.

So what side is supposed to have the counter weight ?

Are they the exact same unit or is driver side different to seal in trans fluid on driver side?

1. That is not a counterweight! You can use it or remove it as you choose. It is mainly there to absorb vibrations.

The shafts are the same on both sides when you buy replacement NEW 'China' made shafts. If they come with tonewheels, which you need for the ABS brakes, BE SURE TO CHECK THE CLEARANCE between the tonewheel and the sensor. People have destroyed the sensor due to being struck by the rotating tonewheel. The clearance should be about the thickness of a matchbook cover.

Guest TC42-MRP
You need to save the tone wheels for the abs off the old axles!!!! I doubt the ones they are selling have the right one.

I will be needing to replace my passenger side CV axel because the boot ripped open and made a mess. :( Bill, you mentioned saving the ABS tone ring, how would one go about doing such? Thanks and hope to hear back from bill or anyone that would know.

I will be needing to replace my passenger side CV axel because the boot ripped open and made a mess. :( Bill, you mentioned saving the ABS tone ring, how would one go about doing such? Thanks and hope to hear back from bill or anyone that would know.

Supposedly you can tap them off with a small screwdriver. I have never had to.

If you live in a large city, try to find a shop that rebuilds them. Mine was a Chicago car and the tone ring was rusted on.

if your boot is just ripped and you caught it right away, you might get by with just a new one piece boot.

Guest TC42-MRP

Thanks Bill

Everyone have a great weekend and happy memorial day! Perfect weather here in Michigan for getting the TC out and cruising around.

Edited by TC42-MRP (see edit history)