O/T.. CB radios

NCReatta

Alrighty guys, pop quiz.

I was filling out my registration for the nationals last evening, and I noted that it is suggested to bring a CB radio on the tour to the transportation museum And surrounding areas.

I do not own a CB radio (yet). I would like to buy one before the meet, but I need some recommendations on what to look for, what sort of antenna is recommended, etc.

If you guys have any tips or hints, I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks!

Guest Straight eight

I have the Radio Shack Uniden. It is small and fits on top the arm rest with a rubber band or two going between the mounting screws.

For the antenna, I got an A40. Mounts on the trunk lid off to one side with no holes to drill, just set screws under the unit so when trunk is open the antenna goes along the side of the car, not hitting the roof. This set up is on my

98 Riviera. Works great.

I have a decent set of walkie talkies. They said they have a two mile range when I bought them. I may just take those, but I'm going to consider other options. Thanks guys!

You would be lucky to get 2 meters let alone 2 miles out of those. Also, make sure they are for CB (Citizens Band) which is around 27 MHz and not FRS (Family Radio Service) which is around 460 MHz. The two are not compatible.

Take it from Roberta and I (we're both old Hams). Get a small CB (5 watts) with an external antenna and you should be OK. Walkie Talkies are marginal at best.

Alrighty, so i did some looking around last night, and this is what I'm thinking of getting.

Amazon.com: Cobra 19DXIV 40 Channel Mobile Compact CB Radio: Car Electronics

I don't want a "whip" as an antenna, I'm probably going for something more like this:

Amazon.com: Cobra HG A 1000 Base-Load Small Mount 100W CB Antenna: GPS & Navigation

Will these be what I need to have a decent set up?

When my wife and I bought our '93 Riviera, we drove to NC to pick it up and drive it back to KS. (We had a vacation in TN planned to coincide with this.) We took along a couple of inexpensive Cobra walkie-talkies and I know that there were at least a couple of times when we were at least a couple of miles apart and had no problems with reception.

I'm curious, why does the BCA recommend a CB?

Ed

When my wife and I bought our '93 Riviera, we drove to NC to pick it up and drive it back to KS. (We had a vacation in TN planned to coincide with this.) We took along a couple of inexpensive Cobra walkie-talkies and I know that there were at least a couple of times when we were at least a couple of miles apart and had no problems with reception.

I've done similar things with bringing home Reattas. However, my walkie talkies (no matter how nice) can't get more than a mile or so away without breaking up.

I'm curious, why does the BCA recommend a CB?

Ed

I was told for reasons such as:

-Interesting sights along the road can be pointed out to the group,

-Unexpected detours can be broadcasted to the group

-If the group gets separated at a stop light or similar road hazard, someone can still lead the group in the correct direction.

-Other things such as "watch out, the next turn sneaks up on you" can be told to the group.

Last BCA tour I was on I didn't have a CB and I missed one of those turns that sneak up on you. Ended up doing a 20 minute detour to get back on course. :o

All of the things you listed I can see as being good for groups traveling in convoys, etc. I was thinking that the BCA might be putting out instuctions to the masses via the CB radios. That's the part that didn't make sense to me.

I think that lots of times reception has more to do with "line of sight" than the quality of the radio.

Alrighty, so i did some looking around last night, and this is what I'm thinking of getting.

Amazon.com: Cobra 19DXIV 40 Channel Mobile Compact CB Radio: Car Electronics

I don't want a "whip" as an antenna, I'm probably going for something more like this:

Amazon.com: Cobra HG A 1000 Base-Load Small Mount 100W CB Antenna: GPS & Navigation

Will these be what I need to have a decent set up?

You will be fine with those. Not the best set up, but for what you are going to use it for, it will work.

Guest sintid58

Nice to be able to talk to all the other cars on tours we used them on BDE tours and could chat amongst ourselves

Guest my3buicks

I like listening to what the truck drivers say about the old cars when I travel- kind of like eavesdropping lol