Top holddown

Guest jmiller

Guest jmiller

Last night went to put my hardtop on, as usual the electrics didn't work so I was using the manual way. As I went to lock it down I heard a snap and heard something fall inside compartment. Now the manual way produces nothing. Top is latched down but not real tight. How do I get it to release so I can remove it and get under the cover to work on the mechanism?

I'll bet the little knob that activates the latches has broken off. Does anyone have a complete mechanism for sale, assuming I can get back in to replace it

Guest jmiller

May make an offer but first have to figure out how to get into the area to see what broke.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to do that?

Guest My TC Toy

Sounds like the gear case snapped, it's the only plastic pieces in there, everything else is metal, if I read you right. Remove the hardtop, releasing the rear latches with a lug wrench through the trung access hole. Release the tonneau cover with the switch and open fully. Pull out the convertable top.. I think there are 5 nuts in total that attach the mechanism at the rear of the compartment and remove the entire mechanism. Now you will find out exactly what the problem is.

The gear cases are available form a number of sources and are only cheap.

Good luck,

Bob

Guest jmiller

Can't use thru the trunk, thats how I was doing it when something snapped and now it won't do anything with the lug wrench. The round knob on the metal mechanism had been bent and straightened. I'm thinking thats what snapped off. So how doe I get in to release with neither an electric option or lug wrench option.

Guest Jim_McNally

Hate to say this, but you're in trouble...

The entire latch mechanism is inside the tonneau cover well, and it's surrounded on all sides by sheet metal. Front, back,bottom and sides - the tonneau cover is the only way in. Even the speakers have covers behind them, plus the screws for them go in from inside the tonneau well.

Maybe pull down the carpet in the trunk to see into the manual latch hole, to see if you can figure out what broke, and maybe get ahold of enough of the mechanism to turn it?

Last ditch - hate to say this (and I've never tried it), but maybe there's a way to unscrew or disconnect the lock pins from inside the hardtop? Then you could take the hardtop off, and maybe get the tonneau open enough to trip the latches...

Jim

Guest pizzaman7880

Many plumbers today have a camera they use to look down sewer lines for breaks. They are small and give great picture. See if your local plumber has one and put it in the hole in the trunk. Maybe you will see exactly what the problem is. From there you can come up with a plan.

Your only option may be to cut a larger hole in the trunk and then have it welded back in.

Guest My TC Toy

I agree with Jim. Pull out the trunk liner and see what you can first. Depending what you can see, maybe you could drill the centre of what's left of the manual bolt and use an easy-out to get the mechanism to work. Whatever you do be gentle, remember that your convertable top is in there and too close.

You also said that the hardtop was not too tight on the pins. Have you tried shaking the top slightly while pulling up on it. You may be lucky enough to rattle the pins free of the latch! Maybe it is not fully latched.

Good luck/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KentWood

Lately I attempted to remove the hard top for the first time since i purchased the car about a year ago.

The rear pin on the passenger side will not unlatch (although I can raise the top up about a half an inch on that side and freely on the drivers side).

I used the electrical switch to release the top.

What is the manual way ? I cannot seem to find the procedure in the owners manual.

Also, any thoughts ?

Hi,

the manual way is to use the lug wrench or 3/4 socket and insert it thru the carpeting in the trunk right below where the third brakelight is located. Do not force the nut or it will snap. gently turn clockwise to tighten the pins. turn counter clockwise to loosen the pins. I would highly recommend to get the pull down fixed because the manual way wont work forever. Amen Roger

Hi,

the manual way is to use the lug wrench or 3/4 socket and insert it thru the carpeting in the trunk right below where the third brake light is located. Do not force the nut or it will snap. gently turn clockwise to tighten the pins. turn counter clockwise to loosen the pins. I would highly recommend to get the pull down fixed because the manual way wont work forever. Amen Roger

Here is something you ALL need to realize; :rolleyes:

The manual release in the trunk IS :mad: NOT :mad: FOR YOU TO LATCH THE TOP DOWN WITH! :o

It is there as a backup for the technician or person who is going to unlatch the top in order to REPAIR the pull-down mechanism.

It was not meant to be a regular method for unlatching and latching the top.

I also have a couple of working, complete mechanisms in my inventory.

I cannot tell you how many people NEEDLESSLY break this mechanism because they think it is there for them to use regularly.

Using my email address below will get you an individual reply.