Saving the Engraving? - 1936 Headlight

JoelsBuicks

The attached picture shows the bullet point end of the headlight bucket for my '36 RM. There is engraving on this end and I've been trying to preserve it as I prepare it for painting but I'm beginning to wonder why bother and isn't it possible that by the time I'm done with the paint, it will be so subtle that it will look more like a bad prep job as opposed to something meaningful. I don't recall what this looked like with the original paint and that is part of my point. My plan was to clean out the engraving, lightly coat with primer and then topcoat - thinking that this would leave everything somewhat legible. I'm now having second thoughts.

So what would you folks do with this?

Thanks for your input,

post-55940-143138957253_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

2K or laquer? 2K will obliterate it because it's thicker. Laquer would be my choice!

Cheers

Grant

I wouldn't prime the engraving. Clean the engraving with a sharp tool. Prime the rest if you must, sand to a feather edge and apply one coat of paint. From the factory, most likely, none of it was primed.............bob

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up priming it and then carefully keeping the engraving cleaned between coats. The picture shows I had to recreate some letters - HEADLAMP and it looks a little sloppy, but overall it turned out ok. I'm glad I kept the original look, there's no doubt that someone can look at it and read it and tell that it is not a bad prep job.

An interesting side note, as I was preparing the light cans for paint, I was amazed at just how many small dents were in them. Also, the manufacturing process left a very shallow wave circumferentially around each light can about mid point from front to back. I just couldn't leave that alone.

post-55940-143141898673_thumb.jpg