Pertronix electronic ignition

Looking into putting in an electronic ignition on my '65 Skylark. Hate to do anything non-stock, but out of all the modernization options, this one makes the most sense to me.<P>I think this has been covered somewhere else on the board but I was just wondering if someone could point me to where I can get the specific Pertronix I need for my 300 4-bbl for a good price.<P>Are the performance and fuel efficiency claims true?<P>Also, how hard are these things to install? I'm no mechanical genius, I just love old cars and I usually just do my best not to mess them up too bad when I'm working on them. smile.gif Will I have to mess around with the timing or anything when I put it in?<P>Thanks,<BR>Carl

Installed one on my 1972 GS 455 last year. The supplied instructions seemed pretty straightforward and I haven't had any trouble since. They have ads in many auto publications. I would call them up at 1-800-685-1492 to be sure. An ad in Hemming's says they have an application for 1957 to 1974 GM 8-cylinder vehicles. Make sure you ask them if you may need to replace your coil with a higher voltage one. I did not have to. I can tell the difference on initial engine start... the spark gets there quicker. Performance seems unaffected, but I have talked to people whose engines ran 5 to 10 degrees cooler. My operating temperature remains the same. Can't tell any difference in fuel economy, but I didn't expect any. I still get 11 or 12 mpg. I think they are definitely worth the $79 price.

I now have the Pertronix kit intsalled on two cars. Not a single problem in two years. Installation is not much more complicated than changing the points. When you install the kit, it's a good time to look at the gear on the bottom of the distributor and the amount of play in the shaft. Don't expect any dramatic performance gains. It does seem to smooth out the idle, but the main reason to install it is to get rid of the points. If the car is running now, the current coil should work. If you want to upgrade, Pertronix also sells a nice coil (flame thrower) that almost looks stock (if you pull off the label). Without the points to worry about, you can also get rid of the ballast resistor or resistor wire that powers the coil.