One of a kind?

Guest Cynthia

Guest Cynthia

I'm reading up on the Packards. Want to learn more about this one. The info I have is that it is a 1931 833 5 passenger Victoria Opera Coup. It has factory 1932 front and twin tail lights, pilot lights in front, cloisonne crank hole cover, 3 door hood, v radiator shell, headlight bar,wire wheels and outside horns. It was originally purchased 11/25/31 in Queens County, NY.

Are there others out there like this? This one runs and I believe it is listed in the Packard registry.

post-85229-143138952842_thumb.jpg

The thumbnail photo is quite small, but I don't think those are Pilot lights. More than likely they're Trippe.

Are you thinking of buying it, or just looking for opinions on it? Or both?

The photo is too small to make any judgment on condition, and we'd need to see more... interior, engine, trunk, chassis. etc.

Otherwise, the five-passenger coupe is a relatively rare body style. As to how many 1931 models exist (833/840), off the top of my head I'd venture a guess of maybe a half dozen. How many have the 1932 updates??? A couple???

Guest Cynthia

It belongs to my aunt and I am doing some research for her, as she is not computer ready. I will take some additional pictures in a couple weeks. My uncle purchased it years ago from someone in OH. I spoke to her and she is not sure what Trippe lights are, but, these turn with the wheels when driving. The body style is 467 with a straight 8 engine that has been completely reconditioned.

Edited by Cynthia
To correct and add info (see edit history)

Guest bkazmer

I recall seeing a victoria in Ohio some years ago - the paint selection was unusual - white with lavender trim

Measure from center of the front hubcap to the center of the rear one for wheelbase. Standard Eight 833s were 134" and 826s were 126". Senior Eight 840 and 845 were about 145" long.

The factory did offer the conversion kit to make a 1932 look like a more modern 1932. Body style 467 is described as a 5-passenger coupe in the parts book. Some manufacturers didn't use the word "victoria". My brother's 1932 victoria was also described as a 5-passenger coupe. In 1932 Packard listed both coupe (507) and victoria (527) as 5-passenger models.

Those do look like Trippes rather than Pilot Rays.

Guest Cynthia

I've got additional information. The lights are pilot lights, not Trippe. In addition to the outside horn, it also has Spartan horns that play "how dry I am". The wheelbase is 134". I got some really good pictures today, and will upload when I get back to my computer.

Guest Cynthia

New pictures. Also, I found a listing for this vehicle in the 1991 Packard registry. The description in the registry describes this as a one of a kind. Is that a reliable source?

post-85229-143138971251_thumb.jpg

post-85229-14313897127_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138971289_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138971306_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138971324_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138971342_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138971359_thumb.jpg

post-85229-143138971376_thumb.jpg

I'm not certain that it's one of a kind. It's a standard offering from 31, but not a real popular one. The 32 front was not a "kit", and not a ploy to dump leftovers. It was a dealer upgrade to owners of 31s. We can speculate hundreds of reasons why it was offered but I'd suspect that the depression was finally catching up and production was tough in 32. I had a 32 902 5 pass cpe. There were as many differences as there were similarities between the 31s and 32s. The car is kool regardless of how many there may be. Packard literature lays out the best reasons for this style being more intimate conversation with passengers and easier to manage family (paraphrasing). It's worth looking for and reading. Again, kool car.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest superods

Don Sommers, owner of a company that makes wire wheels and other igh end accessories for automobiles of stature...two years ago sold for someone on ebay a 31 5 passenger. It was rose colored ....older restoration and the winning bid was around 36,000.00. All the money went to charity. I own a 34 5 passenger and a 32 and a 31. I bought my 34 from a Chicago real estate mogul....pais 32,000.00. Bought my 32 from a fellow who's grandad gave it to him. West you will remember a few years back when he sold all the opieces and parts here and birdman bought the steering wheel that I have been trying to buy back. Paid him 24,000.00 for it. Bought a 31 from a gentleman in Michigan....no motor or trans for 15,000.00. Have dseen what they are asking for the car listed here...a bit steep...but if you can get it more power to you....