Sign in to follow this  
Steve_Mack_CT

Speedsters Anyone?

Thanks Wayne! It's one of the few speedsters to be invited to and shown at Amelia Island.

??? You must be referring to American LaFrance speedsters, or recently-built speedsters, because the Amelia Island Concours has had many, many speedsters shown.

Yes, recenty built ALF speedsters. We were surprised to be invited.

MSMAZCOL, any more pictures of the Franklin Speedster, looks great. Who made the body??

Body hand built by my Dad, Milton. Amazing what you can do with a cardboard mock up, a black crayon, and lots of imagination.

Inspired by Cannon Ball Bakers pike peak racer.

post-60266-143138981872_thumb.jpg

post-60266-143138981909_thumb.jpg

post-60266-143138981944_thumb.jpg

If anyone is building an ALF speedster, I have some parts that could be of value to you. They are large cowl lights w/brackets, ALF MotoMeter, two spot lights and some misc. stuff. I can provide pictures of everything if interested.

I had a project at one time, but it went down the road.

Thanks, Mark

Here's our 1920 Model T with a Frontenac 'T' head. Lots of fun!
Chris happens to be one of my professors at McPherson College, and although I haven't yet had a chance to ride in his speedster, I have drooled over it many a times! Here is a picture I snapped of one its many mismatched tires from the McPherson College Cars Club Car Show this past May!

post-86153-143139093707_thumb.jpg

There were a few at the Millers at Milwaukee event last week. Harry A. Miller Club.

They were also celebrating the Vanderbilt Cup Centennial. Sorry there are off topic pictures included. Enjoy!

Friday

https://picasaweb.google.com/106722423104881229854/Millers12?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIHvytPlo-ydRQ&feat=directlink

Saturday

https://picasaweb.google.com/106722423104881229854/Millers7812?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP2P48qIr-3ongE&feat=directlink

Is there such a thing as a Hot Rod speedster ?

Say larger wheels and tyres. Big and littles. With out straying from the era.

This is my idea of a Speedster Hot rod!!!

That is one elegant and bada$$ machine, wow, good work finding that one, or is it yours? Congrats if so!

Re post #38, no one has yet picked up on this one. It is the Locomobile race car that won the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup - although someone has photoshopped the pic. Google search 'Locomobile #16'. It is a well-documented car.

Speedsters were no doubt the birth of the modified street vehicle movement, for the serious builder. They were surprisingly common. Even up here in Canadian farm country, my father tells of a ride on the tail section of one that went through a barbed wire fence after the rod style brakes failed. He managed to escape with the usual scrapes and bruises, but at 84 still remembers the ride well. The car was stored in a local barn and ran on an Essex chassis. I've attempted to track it down several times but it was probably scrapped during WWII. I have an old Moon chassis I've thought about building into a speedster of some sort but so far it's another stalled project.

It would be interesting to have a speedster club with a meet at some track to run them.

RHL

Do you mean like this? :)

It looks alot faster than it really was. Top speed of aboout 45, but it sure is FUN!

mud3-1.jpg

Or maybe this............. The track is at the Latimore Valley Fairgrounds in York Springs PA. The event is a show held every May called the Jalopy Showdown. They let us go out on the track for a 'photo op' So we get to run around at a controlled speed 1 car at a time. LOTS of fun and a great time.

redspeedster2.jpg