Dash lights

amigo

Isn't that interesting, It does not appear on the wiring charts. There should be a bracket to the left of the ignition switch fastened by 2 machine screws and nuts. This third lamp goes in the bracket but I can't figure out what it lights. It might illuminate the ignition switch or the open ash tray. Maybe one of the other guys know,I've never had my dash light yet!

That could be,but all 3 of my cars had that extra lamp and none were radio equipped! My bracket is mounted to the bottom lip of the dash ,not really near the ash tray area. I'm going to check it out!

The three panel lamps are on one wiring loom. Two go to the obvious holes on either side of the speedometer. The third is on a bracket that is mounted just inboard of the ignition switch. It lights the ignition key opening. (See photos).

The behind dash photo shows the following: Left to Right - oil pressure gauge, (one of two "obvious") instrument gauge lights, fuel gauge, (the elusive) third instrument light, ignition switch. Then above that is the driver ash tray. You can see the mounting for the third lamp's bracket at the point where the green wire is attached.

As far as I have ever seen, the hole in the dash panel on the flange for the ashtray opening is used for nothing. It is not used during the mounting of the radio head either. The lighting for the radio head is self contained in the head itself. It has its own snap-in bulb socket. ;)

The last photo is the back of the passenger's side of the instrument cluster. Above that is the dash panel lighting switch. That is where the triple feed with the loop connector for the lighting loom attaches for power.

post-67404-143138948204_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138948206_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138948224_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2
added photo (see edit history)

In the first photo above you can see the bracket that I spoke of. I thought it had something to do with lighting the ignition switch but what part is illuminated? Thanks for clearing that up 1936D2! Hey! Did I see some moderns wires hiding in there! Ha-ha

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

It somehow must send light into a slot in the side of the ignition switch housing. It is pretty poorly done and is very weak. The design of that idea could be better. I was always wondering if there was some part missing from my car, like a glass or plastic "light tube" connecting the two together. Or maybe a lamp hood (like on the older external dash lights) that would direct the light into the switch. But I have NEVER seen such a thing. So, maybe it just needs all the ignition switch parts to be clean and shiny to make it more efficient.

Yea - you saw that. (Pretty obvious actually!) Those are modern wires (blue & green) used to supply power to a 6v up converter (inverter) for a CB radio hook-up. I was driving my car back in the mid 80's and cell phones were either not available much or were outrageously expensive. So to keep in touch with the buddies on car runs we used CB. Yea, I know, ancient technology. I should really remove it but it is now getting to the point of being an antique itself and does bring on conversation. I'm undecided. What do you think?

10-4 Good Buddy! I really didn't think that there was anybody that used CB's ,besides trucks,anymore! All the rage in the '70's! I wouldn't worry about the wires , I used some plain wire to remake the panel light harness..you can't see it! I won't tell! Talk about weak lights,I drove a '37 Chrysler Imperial 7 passenger one night with all the lights on... could hardly find the dash board let alone the road! Maybe they thought they'd save energy with those 3 cp bulbs!

A lot of dim dash light issues are related to dirty or dingy parts. The bulbs get a coating of grime and some of the translucent plastic light filtering surfaces either get the same grime or darken with age. Just have to take the stuff apart and clean it all up. Usually does wonders!

I'm finally in the cell phone world. (Was about 10 years ago.) Haven't used the CB in about as much time. I should probably get it out of there. I will most likely keep the inverter in there though. Never know when I would need to use my computer or TV! :D

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest 1930

Id leave the C.B, it could still come in handy and its not hurting anything and talk about dim lights, the older they are I think the dimmer they are