broken exhaust manifold bolts

I have two bolts that have broken off in my exhaust manifold on each of my heads. I would like to know if removing the heads and drilling them out is the only way? Can a exhaust shop fix the problem without me having to pull the heads?!?!?! Is there any tyoe of high temp sealer that can be put between the head and manifold surfaces? Right now I am working on the body and probably won't have the car on the road for about three weeks. The right head is leaking enough to send smoke out of the back pipes. Not a pretty or pleasant sight.

Guest John Chapman

Dru,<P>If the head gasket is leaking, the heads are going to have to come off to effect proper repairs anyway. Might as well do it now while the car isn't being driven instead of wasting time and possibly damaging the engine with a jury rig fix. It will cost you less in the long run. Besides, I don't know of a machine shop that'd try removing busted bolts with the heads in the car.<P>Good luck! My $.02 worth.<P>JMC<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR> jmchapman@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Dru, I can't tell exactly what you are saying about your exhaust leak, is it a blown head gasket that is causing the smoke to come out of the tail pipe? And are these studs at the bottom of the exhaust manifold where the head pipe bolts up, or are they the bolts that hold the manifold onto the head that are broken. Is there enough of the stud/bolt visible to grab with visegrips? If not than you will need to drill and use an "easyout." An old trick in the vintage restoration crowd is to heat the bolt/stud using a small torch tip, heat only the bolt/stud and avoid the surrounding metal. After quickly heating it, quickly cool it with a squirt water bottle. Do this expanding and contracting five or so times and the stud/bolt will come out with ease! (And PLEASE guys don't tell me about your metallurgy class in high school, I have been doing this for years without any side effects what so ever.) If you have ever removed the door hinges from a model A Ford, those 70 year old rusted 5/16 standard screw driver headed bolts come out with one hand and a screw driver! Before learning this trick I broke more easyouts and impact driver bits than I care to mention. I friend of mine who worked at a muffler shop would blow those studs/bolts out with the torch without hurting the treads!! I can't do that so I will stick to the heating method. GOOD LUCK! <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.