WoooHooo, brand new toy!

LINC400

Ok it is not an antique, but since the Givenchy is not a daily driver, I need one of those. I was driving a 1994 Buick Regal coupe with 3.8 liter V6. My mom bought it new in Fall 1993. I bought it from her when my 1988 Town Car daily beater conked out in 2006, and I talked her into buying a new 2006 Monte Carlo SS V8. She didn't like dropping down to a Chevy from a Buick, but we both thought it was the only decent looking car being built then, and she loved the performance.

Fast forward to now. After 18 years and 174,000 miles, the Regal blew the engine 5 weeks ago. They told me it would be about $4500 to replace it. It had been very well maintained, but was starting to show its age and miles cosmetically. So I didn't think it would be worth it to put the money into it.

My friend was sending me car ads for things like 1988-95 4 door LeSabres and Olds 88's for less than $4000 with 130,000+ miles on them, but I just could not see myself driving one of these. And with those miles, who knew how long they would last since they were not owned since new by us. I also looked at 2000-2007 Monte Carlos and Grand Prix, but those still had high miles and a price that required making payments. I could not see myself making payments on used junk that looked in worse shape than my 18 year old Regal. I was hoping to wait until fall to buy a new 2013, but I needed daily transportation to work and could not wait until then. I was using my friend's mom's 1987 Town Car while looking for a car. It was very generous, but I could not keep using it that long. Renting even a cheap econobox by the month was actually more than new Cadillac payments! So that was out.

So I thought it might be time for my first ever new car after years of driving rusty used cars. I liked the Camaro since it came out. Also the Challenger and Mustang. Seems like odd choices for someone into antique luxury/personal luxury coupes. But there would be no foreign 4 door bland econobox for me. The Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger were the only cars that had any of the character of the great cars of the past (and 2 doors). The Challenger looked a little chunky to me and didn't seem to have as good a quality reputation as the Camaro and Mustang. Plus no convertible. The Mustang seemed like more of a high school kid's car, and just not as unique as the Camaro. The initial dream was for a Camaro 2SS convertible. But I thought I should be realistic and look at a 1LS coupe which I could actually afford. (The Camaro line up bottom to top is 1LS, 2LS, 1LT, 2LT for V6 and then V8 is only in 1SS and 2SS)

I went to the Chevy dealer and drove several Camaros. Did not like the confining feel of the coupe and lousy visability. Drove the SS and loved the acceleration, but didn't like the stiffer ride after being used to Lincolns and Buicks, or the hefty $7,000.00 price difference. I was debating between the 2LT coupe and 1LT convert. Long story short (maybe too late ), I pulled the trigger and went for a 2LT convertible.

Next was color selection. I wanted the 2010 aqua blue or any decent bright blue. No dice, not offered. I wanted color but I am not a fan of red, orange or yellow. So I was looking at silver or black and not happy about it. Then they showed me a Carbon Flash (metallic black) 45th anniversary coupe. I didn't even know anything about this edition until I saw it on the lot. I decided that was the best of the bunch and went for that. They located a 2LT 45th convert at a nearby dealership and I bought it. My first brand new car ever, woohoo!

The back seat, trunk and sun visors are a joke. But hopefully with XM radio blasting and top down I should be able to forget about that. If we get some decent weather to do that. 80 degrees in Chicago in March, and now that I have a convertible it is 45-55 in late April. 013.gif

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad
Ok it is not an antique, but since the Givenchy is not a daily driver, I need one of those. I was driving a 1994 Buick Regal coupe with 3.8 liter V6. My mom bought it new in Fall 1993. I bought it from her when my 1988 Town Car daily beater conked out in 2006, and I talked her into buying a new 2006 Monte Carlo SS V8. She didn't like dropping down to a Chevy from a Buick, but we both thought it was the only decent looking car being built then, and she loved the performance.

Fast forward to now. After 18 years and 174,000 miles, the Regal blew the engine 5 weeks ago. They told me it would be about $4500 to replace it. It had been very well maintained, but was starting to show its age and miles cosmetically. So I didn't think it would be worth it to put the money into it.

My friend was sending me car ads for things like 1988-95 4 door LeSabres and Olds 88's for less than $4000 with 130,000+ miles on them, but I just could not see myself driving one of these. And with those miles, who knew how long they would last since they were not owned since new by us. I also looked at 2000-2007 Monte Carlos and Grand Prix, but those still had high miles and a price that required making payments. I could not see myself making payments on used junk that looked in worse shape than my 18 year old Regal. I was hoping to wait until fall to buy a new 2013, but I needed daily transportation to work and could not wait until then. I was using my friend's mom's 1987 Town Car while looking for a car. It was very generous, but I could not keep using it that long. Renting even a cheap econobox by the month was actually more than new Cadillac payments! So that was out.

So I thought it might be time for my first ever new car after years of driving rusty used cars. I liked the Camaro since it came out. Also the Challenger and Mustang. Seems like odd choices for someone into antique luxury/personal luxury coupes. But there would be no foreign 4 door bland econobox for me. The Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger were the only cars that had any of the character of the great cars of the past (and 2 doors). The Challenger looked a little chunky to me and didn't seem to have as good a quality reputation as the Camaro and Mustang. Plus no convertible. The Mustang seemed like more of a high school kid's car, and just not as unique as the Camaro. The initial dream was for a Camaro 2SS convertible. But I thought I should be realistic and look at a 1LS coupe which I could actually afford. (The Camaro line up bottom to top is 1LS, 2LS, 1LT, 2LT for V6 and then V8 is only in 1SS and 2SS)

I went to the Chevy dealer and drove several Camaros. Did not like the confining feel of the coupe and lousy visability. Drove the SS and loved the acceleration, but didn't like the stiffer ride after being used to Lincolns and Buicks, or the hefty $7,000.00 price difference. I was debating between the 2LT coupe and 1LT convert. Long story short (maybe too late ), I pulled the trigger and went for a 2LT convertible.

Next was color selection. I wanted the 2010 aqua blue or any decent bright blue. No dice, not offered. I wanted color but I am not a fan of red, orange or yellow. So I was looking at silver or black and not happy about it. Then they showed me a Carbon Flash (metallic black) 45th anniversary coupe. I didn't even know anything about this edition until I saw it on the lot. I decided that was the best of the bunch and went for that. They located a 2LT 45th convert at a nearby dealership and I bought it. My first brand new car ever, woohoo!

The back seat, trunk and sun visors are a joke. But hopefully with XM radio blasting and top down I should be able to forget about that. If we get some decent weather to do that. 80 degrees in Chicago in March, and now that I have a convertible it is 45-55 in late April. 013.gif

Congrats on the new purchase !!!

Nice looking ragtop !!

Not too bad for a new car. Alot better than the bubble 4 door thing that everyone else seems to be driving. (not quite sure if they are a minivan, mini sport ute or a really chunky sedan with storage?)

Good luck with it.

You mean like my brand new toy?

6928992940_c6682dae47_z.jpg

Some of us have large families and the requirement for such "Bubble" cars wink2.gif

It was this or a Minivan....I stand by my decision.

Hell of a nice car LINC400, I sat in one while at the dealer looking at the Enclave. I had a moment where I thought of what it would be like, how would the child seats work...where would the clag that follows kids go? Then I thought....what if I just leave now, surely this could out run all that. Them BAM!!! instantly brought back into reality when my wife yelled over "Get out of that dammed car!"

hehehehe

Enjoy man,enjoy for all of us who are waiting for the day.....

Guest tonnytorres

Congrats mate...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

The steering wheel in the Regal was fairly chunky as well, so I didn't notice too much difference.

No family hauler for me. I sold the kids to make the down payment. Haha, just kidding.

You can do that!!!????!!!!

.....hmmmm

So, let us know when you lay down your first set of tracks on the pavement.

Guest marlin65

I'm just thinking of what a beautiful antique car that could have been purchased with what you spent on this car.

Thats right! I forgot about those! Though my style is more of your Mark and cars fit for white walls, I love the car! It is nice!

So is mine, but they just don't make those anymore. I absolutely refuse to buy a 4 door, and hardly anything is made in 2 door anymore. The most annoying thing was knowing that I had brochures for Lincolns and Marks at home showing 26 different paint colors, 20 different interior colors, 35 different options, etc.

And not only with this car, but any new car you pick from boring color pallette of gray, dark gray, silver, black and white, and option group A, B, and C.

I'm just thinking of what a beautiful antique car that could have been purchased with what you spent on this car.

Yes, and it would be trashed in about 6 months of driving through Chicago winters, potholes, construction, etc. The antique sits in the garage from October through May and never leaves. Not effective for getting to and from work.