1937 LaSella Break Drums sezzed! Dont know how to get wheel to turn

Guest SFbrewingCo

Guest SFbrewingCo

Need some one with a 1930-40's LaSella help. the car has not run in 9 years and we took it out of the garage and the rear driver side wheel is locked up. All other wheels turn. The parking break is not on and it is not in gear.

I am thinking it is the break drum, either it is rusted or the spring broke. I am going to take of tire and try to remove the shoes so i can get the car to roll so i can get a flat bed tow truck to the shop that will be working on it.

thanks for you help!!

Jack up the seized wheel. Pull the tire and rim, Tap on the brake drum with a hammer. This should lossen it enough to move it. If the car has hydaulic brakes and has been sitting that long, then the wheel cylinders and master cylinder will need to come apart and be cleaned up. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

That would tend to indicate to me that the wheel slave cylinder has seized. A very common problem with brakes that aren't used on a regular basis. You should be able to back the shoes off (adjust) to give enough clearance to roll the car.

What year and what is a LaSella? A LaSalle? If it's early '30s, it has mechanical brakes, which can be a whole different can of worms from hydraulics. More details on the car itself and we can probably offer some better troubleshooting.

Guest pmoody

You will find that any old vehicle that is left sitting around especially in a high area of dampness and condensation that the inside of the drums will begin to rust and vertually weld themselves to the usually oil soaked shoes, A set of torches to heat the drums and a little patience will usually do the trick. Pat Moody

What year and what is a LaSella? A LaSalle? If it's early '30s, it has mechanical brakes, which can be a whole different can of worms from hydraulics. More details on the car itself and we can probably offer some better troubleshooting.

Say Matt, The post headline says 1937. Should be juice brakes by this time. Yes??? ;) Dandy Dave!

Guest JB 36 LaSalle

LaSalles were produced from 1927 until 1933 with mechanical brakes. In 1934, they became the first GM cars to come equipped with hydraulic brakes. The rest of the GM models followed in 1936.

If backing off on the adjuster doesn't work, the drum can be removed with a puller, but it may not be pretty, resulting in damage to the brake hardware or shoes. Good luck with it. 37 LaSalles are almost as pretty as the 36 models, but then I'm prejudice.