Jump to content

Tire valve stem size to replace tube type

Joseph P. Indusi

Recommended Posts

I plan to put tubeless tires on a 1948 Buick Special with the original wheels. I have done this before on a 1953 where I mounted bias ply tubeless 7.60 by 15 whitewalls. i seem to remember that the rubber valve stem diameter was larger than the standard rubber valve stem of about .45 inches. I believe the only other size rubber valve stem has a diameter of .625 inches. Does anyone know if this is what I should use?

Joe, BCA 33493

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm not conversant on the diameter in fractions of an inch, but in the auto parts stores around here, there are four types of rubber valve stems available: 1. Fat base and short stem; 2 Fat base and long stem; 3. Narrow base and short stem; 4. Narrow base and long stem.

I mostly work on Buicks from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s, and they almost always take the fat kind with a long stem, particularly if they have to stick up through a full wheel cover or a trim ring. Just look at the width of the hole in your wheel, and then look at the width of the available valve stems--it will be fairly obvious which ones will fit and which ones won't--you can judge it by sight if you look at the two types together.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
While on the topic, I am replacing the tires on my 55 Roadmaster and want to paint the wheels. Should I leave the valves on the wheels or will the shop mounting the new tires have suitable replacements?

Replacements have never been a problem locally. When you have the old tires dismounted to paint ask in case they have to order.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...